Author Topic: Messageboard membership FAQs  (Read 26261 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
Messageboard membership FAQs
« on: November 05, 2009, 07:45:02 pm »
 ??? Messageboard membership FAQs:

Here is how the new member process works when the email system is down:

1) Send an email requesting membership to the admin. finman48127@yahoo.com
2) Admin. will respond requesting your choice for username and password.
3) You email the admin. a reply with answers to #2.
4) Admin. enters you in the system and will send you an email notifying you are registered.

If you lost/forgot your password send an email requesting password reset to the admin. finman48127@yahoo.com

Here is how the membership process works:

a) You apply on the "Register" tab.
b) Administrator approves.
c) System sends an email to you requesting you validate.
d) You must click on the link in the email sent to you in order to validate.

1) "I registered for a username and I tried to login but I get a message saying the administrator has not approved me."

This would be step b) from above. In order to prevent spammers from spamming our messageboard the registration of new users is a multi-step process that requires some time. The administrator is not sitting at a computer 24/7 waiting to approve people. We generally do it the same or next day. Please be patient. This also depends on the messageboard email system being up and running which does go down occasionally without warning. That too gets fixed within a day or two or less.

2) "I get a message saying my email address needs to be validated before I can login."

Steps c) and d) are where things breakdown. The system is somewhat stupid. If you give a wrong/bad email address when you register then the email (step c) intended for you will bounce (not get to you). The administrator and system do not know it bounced (did not get to you). Because of a bad email address we have no way of contacting you and you will not know you are approved. Eventually we reject that username application 120 days after you apply. That is plenty of time to contact the admin if you are serious about becoming a member. NOTE: some email services (gmail, hotmail) appear to be blocking emails sent from our messageboard (spam guard). If you do not get the step c) email contact the admin.

You will never get to step d) if you do not complete step c). If you get to step d) it is up to you to complete step d). If you do not complete d) eventually we reject that username application 120 days after you apply.

We try to go the extra mile. In cases where we notice you are having trouble validating your email address we will approve you and send an email. Sometimes these emails still get blocked. Keep trying to log in.

Reminder: If you do not complete c) and d) eventually we WILL delete that username application without warning or notice if has been over 120 days since you applied. Let's face it, if we see no activity on your part to even attempt to login or contact us it surely looks to us as if you don't really want to be a member and we are not going to hold your username forever. If you should find that this has happened to you feel free to apply again (exept you spammers because you will be wasting your time and ours.)

* The key to all of this is to have your CORRECT email address in your profile. *

3) "I registered for a username but I have not received an email asking me to validate."

Either the admin. has not approved you yet, it's possible your username got deleted accidentally in a spammer sweep or your internet service provider (ISP) is blocking emails from this messageboard. Please contact the admin.

4) "I lost or cannot remember my password."

A) There is a password reset feature built into the messageboard. Click on the LOGIN tab. At the bottom of the Log In box you can click on "Forgot your password?" This will bring up another box. You can't retrieve your password, but you can set a new one by following a link sent to you by email. You also have the option of setting a new password by answering your secret question.

If you choose to enter your Username and ask the question you must have set up your question ahead of time in your profile.

If you choose to enter your email address and ask the question you must enter the email address that is in your profile and have set up your question ahead of time in your profile.

If you choose to enter your Username and have an email sent to you, it will be sent to the email address in your profile. NOTE: some email services (gmail, hotmail) appear to be blocking emails sent from our messageboard (spam guard). If you do not get an email do B) below.

If you choose to enter your email address and have an email sent to you, you must enter the email address that is in your profile and it will be sent to the email address in your profile. NOTE: some email services (gmail, hotmail) appear to be blocking emails sent from our messageboard (spam guard). If you do not get an email do B) below.

B) Otherwise, send an email to the administrator with your username and request your password be reset. Please do not apply for another username.  >:(

Again:
* The key to all of this is to have your CORRECT email address in your profile. *

5) "I get a message saying I am banned because I have another username ____."

Over the years, we've had a few people with "multiple personality disorders." The old messageboard made it easy for someone to have more than one username for whatever reason, right or wrong, good or bad. Well, sorry, no more. We monitor that very closely along with the spammers. We faithfully assume anyone applying for another username simply lost/forgot his or her password and would not be applying for malicious purposes. ;)

6) "I get a message saying, Sorry, your IP is suspect for spammers."

This messageboard is attacked daily by spammers trying to become members to post their spam. We filter as best we can. Sometimes our spam filters catch the good people too. If you get this message send an email to the admin. explaining the circumstances and your location (city, state, country).

7) If you are already a member and you change your email address in your profile you will have to repeat steps c) and d) from above. Exception here is we do not reject/delete an existing member if you take too long to revalidate your email address. You simply will not be able to log in until you do revailidate your email address. NOTE: some email services (gmail, hotmail) appear to be blocking emails sent from our messageboard (spam guard). If you do not get the step c) email contact the admin.

**Occasionally the email system goes down. When that happens no emails are sent by the system. So if you are expecting an email from the sytem and you are not getting it please be patient and try again. We usually get it fixed within a day or two.**
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:02:20 am by Jeff »