Author Topic: B-1 Rod ID  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Savedareyou

B-1 Rod ID
« on: November 08, 2006, 08:50:13 pm »
Hi there, A while back I disassembled my B-1 and The Rods have Number  number DOAE-A on the beam. People have told me they where the wrong ones. I have been told also that they are the correct ones and they came from a Early B-1. So who do I believe? Original owners who have torn there B-1 down what do you say? Thanks God bless

Offline 4DMuscle

B-1 Rod ID
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 12:02:24 pm »
I wrote a bunch of this down during the restoration on my BOSS a few years ago.  My original connecting rods (CR) & CR Caps have the following cast #s:  CR: D1ZX-AA ; CR Caps: D0AE-A.  Hope this helps, Cheers.  Tom
71 BOSS -  Raven Black / Argent

Offline 71bosstang

• Cool Newbie
Rod, Piston, Block
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 06:25:03 pm »
Here are a few pics of an original B1 engine. Most of the stampings are clearly seen, although the piston rod is faint it reads D1ZX-AA. Hope this helps.

Offline okcmustangresto

• PT Group
B-1 Rod ID
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 06:42:41 pm »
I bought a 351C race motor from a friend of mine. He bought all the good Boss internals including the rods from Ford back in the mid 70's. When I pulled the pan, all the rods are DOAE rods with pink dye splashed all over them. They also have a shinier appearance to them than a stock rod, indicating having been shotpeened. I seem to remember reading years ago that when the supply of D1ZX rods ran low, that Ford converted stock ones to Boss specs to fill the demand. I believe the pink dye to indicate the Boss application. Ford used different color dyes in the engine assembly process to indicate different things, most notably the orange dye you will see all over 289 HiPo parts. I'm sure these were handpicked from the best stock rods available. According to Ford, the Boss rods were shotpeened and magnafluxed and fitted with 180,000 PSI tensile strength bolts. The conversion process is very straightforward since the bolts are the same diameter on the stock and Boss rods alike. In my years of drag racing with the 351C, I used the stock DOAE rods, polished the beams, shotpeened them and fitted them with the Boss 351 bolts bought over the counter from Ford and spun the motors as high as 8500 RPM with never a hint of rod failure or fatigue.
  If the person you got the rods from told you that they were Boss rods, you might check them for any hint of remaining pink dye. Hope this helps.

God Bless
67 GT500 428 2-4's 4 spd. inboards, dark green
71 Mach I 429 SCJ 4 spd, 4.11 fully loaded power windows etc.
71 Mach I 351C 4V auto power windows, etc. loaded
72 Mach I Q code 351C 4V 4spd.
65 coupe 289 4 spd. 4.11's street car
71 Maverick drag car 351C, C6 5500 convertor, 5.14 gears
3 70 Boss 302's in varying states of repair, none in show car condition
All but one of the above have been sold. Getting older changes priorities, at least for me.

Offline D1ZX

• Cool Newbie
    • http://community-2.webtv.net/BOSS351C/MyBoss351Page/
B-1 Rod ID
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 05:46:13 pm »
I bought an NOS Boss engine from the dealer in `74. Eveything in it was "Boss" except for the rods, but they did have Boss bolts and Nuts installed.  My rods were the D0AE too, so years later I wrote Ford SVO, and got a nice letter back. They also told me that sometimes in Boss service replacement engines, the DoAE's were used, instead of D1ZX's, but that my rods were still build to Boss original spec with the Mag and shot-Peening.
ich Pajzer

Offline dlhopper

Rods and pistons
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 06:47:45 pm »
Funny that this subject would come up now. I'm in my garage as I speak finishing the final disassembly of the engine in 1F02R143227 with 65,000 original miles, Date of manufacture 11-70. I purchased it a few weeks ago from the original owner and was told that the engine was original and in excellent condition inside(It had been parked for 12 years). He was telling the truth, there was  no sludge or buildup in the pan which spoke for his upkeep of the car.Very little wear on the bearings or piston skirts.
   The point of all this is to pass on the part #'s on the pieces.
Piston - D1ZX-6110-AA
Rod -    D1ZX-AA
Cap -    DOAE-A

Dave Hopper