Author Topic: '71 Boss 302  (Read 34031 times)

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
Re: '71 Boss 302
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 03:19:28 pm »
Okay, I finally figured out how to upload a photo over at Carsdomain.com.  If you go to this link, I put up a neat side-by-side photo of the car as it looked in 1970 and today.

Also, if you go there, check out page two -Andy

http://www.cardomain.com/member/71boss302found/?l=1

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:13:33 pm by 1F02G100053 »

Offline 2000RCAR

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 04:01:50 pm »
The only thing I would do to that car is put gas in it!! JMO!!

Carroll

2000 COBRA R #102/300,
2007 SHELBY GT 500 BLACK VERT. # 7 BUILT,
1970 MACH 1,
2007 SALEEN P.J.#88/500,
1970 GRABBER ORANGE BOSS 302,
1965 COBRA 427 ROADSTER,
2007 SHELBY GT # 0663

Offline xler8ion

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 06:32:36 pm »
Andy,

Great car, story and find. I'm in the will, right? ::) Just a question, the 1971 publicity color photo you put on car domain looks like it has Boss 351 decals when I enlarge it but I could not enlarge it enough to be sure. Is it a Boss 302 or 351 in that picture? Regardless thanks for sharing and guard that data sticker with your life.

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 07:27:12 pm »
xeler8ion- The color publicity photo has "Boss 351" decals.  But, the car depicted is the Boss 302 Prototype which has no NASA Hood, nor any hood pins, and has other trim that was only on the Boss 302 Prototype, and not the actual production Boss 351. (Mach 1 and Boss trims)

In fact, here is another publicity photo of the car that's in the Black and White Photo, only this shot is in color, presumably taken the same day at the same location.  Notice how the rear decklid lettering looks like the "Boss 302" decal, EXCEPT the last two numbers have been changed to "51" with different sized, painted-looking lettering.  That's probably about the time the invoices for the car showed the VIN as "1F05R100053". 

The car was thereafter, used as the Boss 351 Prototype and publicity car, with both Boss and Mach 1 trims.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:44:53 pm by 1F02G100053 »

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 09:27:15 pm »
All invoices and the door tag call for black interior.  Also notice the lack of a rear quarter window.  My car doesn't have power windows, it has fixed rear quarter windows.  Wonder if they were originally going to put the roll-down rear windows on the fastbacks, (didn't the coupes have that? ) Or, was the rear window "air-brushed out" for ad appeal? Or was it not installed on publicity car till after the shoot? Or is this another of the prototype cars not found.  Since it appears to be shot out in the desert, and since mine was sent to Vegas and L.A., doubtful that it is a different car than mine. 

The funky interior color may also have been a temporary item, or a bit of ad-agency "photo-shop" retouch.  It was the 70's! Pschedelic, pop-art, mod style were the trend.  Remember the Mopar Rapid Transit wild Peter Max style art ads?  Hard to say for sure.  This is one of the best of the Publicity Photos below:

The Kelsey Hayes Magstar rims (ala Shelby style) were removed by Ford and replaced with standard production 15" Magnum 500's in preparation for retail sale of the car.  I really suspect Ford was looking to immitate much of the 69/70 Shelby Mustang styling with this new for 1971 Boss 302 prototype car, and all of the new for 1971 Mustang body styles, for that matter. -Andy
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:45:58 pm by 1F02G100053 »

Offline Rick67

• Needs A Job
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 11:14:14 pm »
I wouldn't do any to it for a while.
Drive it some, collect your thoughts and then decide.
It seems to be one of kind for sure.
Rick

Offline rexfields302

• No Life
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 01:15:08 am »
 This is one interesting story! A story that everyone dreams of ! I agree with Rick to take your time & collect your thoughts before restoring. Those rims on it in the photo shots sure look cool.

Best of luck whatever you decide!     

Offline 1owner

• No Life
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 12:20:54 pm »
the roll down quarter window and the different color interior tells me they are two different cars.  im not knocking your cool find in any way.  just make sure you gather all the facts before you can present them as the gospel.  keep up the good work..
Phillip B
9F02G188360

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 02:37:22 pm »
Competitionorange, and 1owner,--

First, I agree completely.  There is nothing that can be said "as Gospel."  We can only look at the weight of the evidence and form opinions at this point.  It's an ongoing investigation.

One correction to your observations.  You are looking at the wrong black and white photo.  The one you are referring to is almost certainly not my car, since that one has a spoiler and argent silver contrasting paint.  That's the Motor Trend photo, along with the Boss 302 engine photo that has been repeatedly posted here and elsewhere.  Would love to find that one.

I'm refering to the other black and white publicity photo.  The one shown below:

This one was taken in the desert, and was likely a "set-up" photo taken just prior to taking the color photos of the Grabber yellow publicity car.  This car had the funky colored red (or orange?) interior in the published photos.  It also doesn't seem to have a rear quarter-window, see below:
But, ad agencies do lots of stuff to ad photos before releasing them, so you can't say the car had orange interior or no window, as "Gospel" either.  J.Walter Thompson and Associates were amazing ad people even in 1970.  Maybe someone will come forward with personal knowledge or recollections.

While the "H" code 4-speed isn't "valuable" or desirable strictly from a performance point of view, it is the 1 of 1 production, (along with the reason it was built as such) that makes it such a rarety.  Also, it is the original motor from this car, as when finally sold by Wilson Ford.  I agree that a Boss 302 under the hood would've been an even better find!  I wish! 

BTW, the car likely was "G" code first, then "R" code and finally "H" code.  I say this because none of the invoices show a "G" code, though the car was assembled with that dash tab and door tag.  Paperwork is easy to change (6 invoices in this case).  I don't think they changed the windshield tab and door tag more than once.  Maybe we'll find out though!

Finally, I do think there could be 3 different prototypes shown in all of these photos, absent additional information.  AND, there is also another prototype photo in the September or October 1970 issue of Car Craft that depicts a darker color car.  Looks like a gold/yellow or dark mustard color and has racing slicks ON MAGSTARS!  A really different photo than the ones we've been seeing.  I'll post it if I can find it. Thanks for the comments -Andy

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 07:06:30 pm by 1F02G100053 »

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 08:18:19 pm »
The publicity photos of the Grabber Yellow car all seem to exhibit Boss 351 decals, but the "51" is definitely butchered.  That would be consistent with the car having been first built as the "G" code, and later changed, as confirmed by Kevin Marti and the Ford doumentation.

All invoices specify "D/ Grabber Yellow"; All invoices say 1F05R except the last one, says 1F02H.  The Grabber Yellow publicity car is the only prototype I've seen that has all of the Mach1 trim, including the urethane and honeycomb and gas cap, same as my car.

Only the hidden door tag, and the Ford Communicatons memo state the car was a "G" code and "an original show unit" that "needs to be changed before it can be sold." The Kevin Marti document says this car was the Boss 302 Prototype before the "program was cancelled".  All invoices call for black interior.  First invoice says car was sold to Ford Marketing in California, and shipped to Las Vegas Convention Center for the automobile show.  Doesn't even have any prices on it.

I've been told that 1971 was the first year EPA required Hydrocarbons and NOX certification for each type of motor.  If that is the case, and since the Boss 302 was no longer going to be sold in any vehicle, they probably couldn't let just one go out the door.  As old Kramer used to say, "it's a crap shoot out there."  :D 

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • ^My Old Heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 10:54:21 am »
Hi Andy,
I dont know if this may help or not for your car, but here is a possible lead:  Bill(??) Stroppe handled all the west coast media cars, as I shot a lot of Ford commericals in the late 80s/early 90s, and all our cars came from his shop. I also remember reading the old articles about the Boss 351 magazine tests and Stroppe prepped-- aka "ringers" for the testers of the time. He may have done your car--assembled/prepped/changed things around for Ford/media and for the re-sale. If memory serves, his shop was in Long Beach, Ca.  They may have paperwork on what was done to your car...who knows. Hope this helps!
--Scott  aka "crossboss"
Current lifelong project:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 12:27:32 pm »
Wow! Thanks Scott.  That's the kind of info I need.  I will see what I can find out.  I wonder if Donald Farr or Jim Smart have any leads on his current whereabouts.  Thanks for the lead!

You would really laugh if you heard some of the conversations I've had, like when I called the Ford Dealer.  Wilson Ford is long gone.  I spoke to 3 different people, from personel to sales management.  I was only looking for somebody working there in sales or service, who might be a "Vintage Mustang enthusiast."

I wanted to see if I could get someone there interested in looking for some past, long term employees or former employees, who might know the name of a previous long term employee, so I could work my way backward.  To put it politely, I was "blown off," as though I was expecting someone from 1970 to still be working there! LOL!!

(although.....I do know a lot of people who are still at their same jobs from 1970, now that I think about it.  The oldest continously operating Chevy plant is in my town!)

They could see no value in tying the past sale of this showcar/prototype to their dealership at all.  This, when Ford is talking about releasing the new "Boss 302 is Back" program.  At one point, when I asked one person, "are you familiar with the 1970 Boss 302 Mustang?"  The reply was, "Uh,...I am not aware of this car."  I was eventually told, "Sir, everyone who works here is young, and has no interest in antique Mustangs."  That's really a hoot when you think about where in California, this car was sold.

Thank again for the info -Andy

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 12:56:02 pm »
Hi Andy,
I dont know if this may help or not for your car, but here is a possible lead:  Bill(??) Stroppe handled all the west coast media cars, as I shot a lot of Ford commericals in the late 80s/early 90s, and all our cars came from his shop. I also remember reading the old articles about the Boss 351 magazine tests and Stroppe prepped-- aka "ringers" for the testers of the time. He may have done your car--assembled/prepped/changed things around for Ford/media and for the re-sale. If memory serves, his shop was in Long Beach, Ca.  They may have paperwork on what was done to your car...who knows. Hope this helps!
--Scott  aka "crossboss"
Scott, I just Googled Bill Stroppe.  My jaw is still dropped!!! What a guy!  Sadly, he passed in 1995, but his son still operates the business, and according to the Newspaper, Ford Motor Company was still one of his biggest customers.  This could really turn out.  I've got some work to do.
-Thanks again!- Andy

Offline shotgun

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 08:21:37 pm »
Perhaps you would consider bringing your cool find to the Boss Nationals in Tulsa. I think a lot of Boss enthusiasts would appreciate the opportunity to see this rare gem.
Either way, I have to agree, your openness about the car is quite refreshing!
Hope to see you in Tulsa!

Mike

Offline 428Eliminator

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 11:47:17 pm »
Hello Andy,
I used to own 1F05J100066 now owned by the Ian Flemming Foundation. Sent you a PM.