Author Topic: '71 Boss 302  (Read 34041 times)

Offline dfarr

Re: '71 Boss 302
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2008, 11:43:56 am »

We received some additional information from Kevin Marti this week regarding '71 Boss 302s. He says eight were scheduled to be built - 5 at Dearborn and 3 at Metuchen. 100053 was the only one built, all others were canceled. Actually, 2 were bucked at Metuchen but canceled before they were built. So it appears that Andy's car is the only one.

That brings up the question about the Motor Trend car. Knowing that car magazines work so far in advance, I suspect that car may have been a pilot car. I haven't been able to find that particular issue here in our unorganized magazine archives, but seems it was a "New car" issue, likely September, which means the car would have been available for photography in May or June, way before 100053 was built in early August. Also, I seem to recall that the magazine did not drive the car, just reported on it, which again points to the likelihood that it was a pilot car.

Someone mentioned the psychodelic colors used back then. Remember the green '70 Boss 302 with red interior that was used for some promo shots?

Donald

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • ^My Old Heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 02:50:05 pm »
Hi back Andy,
Glad to help! Hope you can get some info out of Stroppe! BTW, are you in Calif/LA??
--Scott  aka "crossboss"
Current lifelong project:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 06:37:14 pm »
Wow! That is fantastic information from Kevin Marti, posted above by Donald Farr.  Reading that post gave me the same feeling as when I peeled up that Door Tag and discovered the "G" code in the VIN!  I can't thank Donald Farr and Jim Smart (and certainly Kevin Marti) enough for all the work they have done, and all the facts they have brought out on this 37-year-old mystery!!

That expression "the Boss is Back" is taking on a new meaning for me.

Crossboss, I already heard back from Mr. Stroppe, who said while it is highly likely that Stroppe Engineering did do the work on this car, they do not have any records that go back 37 years.  However, he expressed that he too believed this car was a very rare find, and referred me to some very good contacts with Ford's Markteting and Advertising people.  I've already made phone contact and had some very informative conversation, and received some more important leads! 

Talking and corresponding with these different people has been a real trip.  The history they possess is stunning and priceless.  All have been cordial and willing to take a moment, even though they have tight time constraints and many pressing work matters.

As a sidenote, when I was looking up Bill Stroppe and Son Engineering, I noticed that Ron Sizemore is listed as their Western Regional Test Fleet Manager for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars.  So, I dug a little deeper. Check out this link:

http://beach.freedomblogging.com/2007/12/13/ron-sizemore-honored-at-laguna-surf-and-sport/

BTW, Stroppe Engineering is mentioned in the last paragraph, if you wonder about that being the same man.  Now, think about that 1972 Ford Mustang Magazine Ad... is that cool or what?
-Andy
One additional tidbit, I was told by someone very knowlegable, and "in a position to know" that it was not unusual for them to change the interior color, exterior color and just about anything else they wanted, for Marketing and Advertising purposes.  Interesting!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 07:06:07 pm by 1F02G100053 »

Offline Rustin

• No Life
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 07:36:25 pm »
I bought the H Pipe that was on E By just because ?????? Anyway it would be good to put it with the 71 car if he needs it.  Sent an E Mail and havent heard yet.

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 10:40:08 pm »
Hi Rustin,
I got your email about the H-pipe.  I'm not sure if that is just a 302 h-pipe for a 1971, or something unique to the Boss 302.  I have a lot to learn about this subject, and info is understandably scarce.  Let me know what info you have and how much you are looking for. 

I see one fellow recently listed a set of 1971 Boss 302 trunk decals on Ebay for $1500.00 starting bid!!  (I think they can be duplicated by using repro "BOSS 429" and "BOSS 351" decals, stealing the "O" and the "2" from the "BOSS 429."  ;))

Anyway, let me know what you have.  Thanks. -Andy
P.S. Got an extra D1ZE Boss 302 motor under the bench, for sale? (or would that be D1ZZ?.... ??? ???)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 10:51:41 pm by 1F02G100053 »

Offline Hawkrod

• Needs A Job
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 11:00:33 pm »
71 Boss 302 parts are actually relatively common and sell for very little comparatively due to the low actual demand (last I checked you were the only serious buyer! LOL). The guy on the decals is nutso and I used to see piles of them at Carlisle but nobody was even remotely interested. I would call some of the big east coast dealers and see if any still have some. The exhaust is Boss only. Hawkrod
Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln Premier
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 Ford F250 4X4 w/460 swap
86 SVO mustang
76 F250 Crew Cab
1969 Mach I
look at my cars past and present at superford!

Offline FordPromoBOSS302

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 12:26:36 am »
very interesting stuff!

This puts together the story about what I was told on my car that there was in fact 1 71 Boss 302 built.

My car being the last of 30 Boss 302 Promo cars was supposed to have been used to somehow promote the 71 BOss 302 before the program was suddenly dropped. How I would love to find some type of press photos on my car!  I did have one pic a ford person was able to send but my computer crashed and lost it along with the person who gave its info....

as my error in posting what was intended here in the Boss 351 section.

I was told when I bought my car that it was purchased from ford with a 429CJ rear leaf spring and I just blew it off as "it would not fit" but lo & behold when I took car apart and started to clean up suspension there were the 71 429CJ springs with the red-red/orange-orange rear springs!  I was also told the pop open gas cap was on it along with the chrome radiator hold down because it was a promo car. Good enough for me even though others will argue it could not have been...

Andy, Really nice to see the long lost 71 Boss 302 has been found !  a great read.

If you have any contacts you would care to share to help me find more info on my "Last Promo Boss 302" it would be appreciated.

Again on my car Kevin Marti was super in helping me get the info I do have. Of course he still had the original 2page invoice for it also!

Gets me excited to get back to finish my car as its been apart for 4yrs now...

Offline FordPromoBOSS302

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 12:37:25 am »
talking about how cars changed for media pics (colors etc) I wanted to add that even today ford does this stuff. For instance the GT500KR press car (silver with blue) was not even a shelby to start with. the red with white stripes GT500 car that made the show rounds started as a 6cyl ! (yes I took pics of the VINS)

The blue metallic car (non KR) that was at SAAC32 did start out as a GT500 and was there with the prototype blower (TVS) which I was lucky enough to get a few rides in with and without racing tires!

So yes, totally believable ford would switch badges, colors, interior colors etc.  I did speak with a retired ford guy who said some times the cars would be totally different from side to side! and that the people setting them up were very good at hiding the fact. They would do multiple photo shoots for different ads with same car same day.

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 08:02:36 am »
Hey, FordPromoBos-
Liked reading your posts, and seeing your garage.  I'm still drooling.  I too, was told that Ford did this kind of thing.  How about a 428SCJ that was really a 6-cyl in one ad !

So far, I haven't really gotten very far finding someone with actual knowledge or documentation of any kind, but a few ideas.  I think we need to develop some avenue to get access to "Ford's" Photo Media Archives.  (Before the Chapter 7 sale....OMG! )  It could be a very good excuse for an extended visit to Dearborn.

I'm kinda new here.  Is your promo Boss a '70 Boss2 with those items, or a 71 Boss1.  Were the 30 cars you mentioned '71?  -Andy

Offline svo2scj

• No Life
  • Yeah it's the wrong paint and cap!
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2008, 09:35:14 pm »
CROSSBOSS (Scott)

Sent you a PM (did you see)!!!????
Mark Haas
517 861 7630

Offline FordPromoBOSS302

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2008, 01:33:49 am »
Hey, FordPromoBos-
Liked reading your posts, and seeing your garage.  I'm still drooling.  I too, was told that Ford did this kind of thing.  How about a 428SCJ that was really a 6-cyl in one ad !

So far, I haven't really gotten very far finding someone with actual knowledge or documentation of any kind, but a few ideas.  I think we need to develop some avenue to get access to "Ford's" Photo Media Archives.  (Before the Chapter 7 sale....OMG! )  It could be a very good excuse for an extended visit to Dearborn.

I'm kinda new here.  Is your promo Boss a '70 Boss2 with those items, or a 71 Boss1.  Were the 30 cars you mentioned '71?  -Andy

THANKS!

My car is a '70 Dearborn. The 30 promo cars I am talking about were 1970 Boss 302's mine being the last of the 30.

At one time I was able to access a few pics in the media archives but lost my link to get in. It was very limited what I could see but there were hundreds of pics to view. I was able to view just small photos and a payment was required for a larger size.  I was told if I were to go to dearborn in person with a request to view prior to my visit I would be able to see more and even get copies. I will have to ask one of my Ford buddies again exactly whats needed. Very hard to get any Ford people (very few have access) to give you anything from archives. Did a big favor for a Fomoco emplyee so was able to get the one pic of my car but all I have left is a avatar size pic of it.

Am thinking this coming summer I may make a trip there to see if I can get more info. I think its especially interesting as my car has some type connection to yours. What is your build date? There is supposed to be some pics of our cars together at some point but I have no idea of where or when. The person who bought it from ford had big time connections so no changes were made prior to him getting it. He was able to pick it up same day it was released for sale.

After seeing your posts I actually started to work on it again today after a pretty long lull since I painted it.
Hopefully will get it up and running for first time in about 4yrs within the next week or so.

If you want to send me an email so others who are not interested in this stuff do not have to read it its:
I probably have a 100 hrs researching date codes etc on these cars.

Maybe if we both do a bit of legworth and share some stuff we can get some archive info on our cars. its there just hard to get someone to help out. I have had some bigwigs make promises but they have not followed through.

superdragpak-boss9f100 @  yahoo dot com

Offline Rustin

• No Life
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2008, 08:35:19 am »
Hi Andy,

This is an NOS Ford piece. It is seriously unlikely that you'll find another one and the repos for a 1969 or 70 will not work for you( atleast with DiZE manifolds). Not to mention that original Ford pieces are heaveier metal , better made, fit better, last longer..... Please call or write if you want to know more. 

Rusty
210 279 3673
csatexas@aol.com

Offline Hawkrod

• Needs A Job
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2008, 08:59:34 am »
Actually, sad as it may seem the 71 pieces are out there in some numbers. Because nobody can use them they do not command a premium price. Some of teh big east coast dealers are likely to have some in stock if they are hoarders, if not they already threw them away because they can't sell them. I used to see tons of this stuff at Carlisle and even some at Hershey (not so much, it used to old cars only!). It is a shame that Ford didn't build 71 Boss 302's because they made enough parts for a ton of cars and pulled the plug at the last second. Hawkrod
Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln Premier
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
86 SVO mustang
76 F250 Crew Cab
1969 Mach I

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2008, 04:20:29 pm »
Rustin, could you email me a photo, or a link to a photo of the piece, and your asking price.  Don't know if I'm that interested, since it is a long expensive road to put a Boss 302 in the car, but I'm thinking about my options.

Hawkrod, thanks for the advice.  I will have to check around for those decals and such.  I know an alleged '71 Boss 302 Holley carb was recently posted on eBay, but I think it sold for lots of dollars.  Since I'm in the process of finding parts for, and restoring my Boss 351, the poorhouse will come fast!

FordPromoBoss302- here's the response I posted on the other link for the info you requested, in case you didn't see it:

FordPromoBoss302- Just found your other post.  My car was built on Aug 3, 1970 and "gate released" Aug, 4th a.m.  I don't really have the order date, buck-date info (nor a buck tag, probably removed when car was "de-bossed" Ouch!).  When I spoke to Kevin Marti, and we discussed the 6 invoices and Ford Communications Memo, he agreed to write a letter-report, explaining the significance of these items and the "Boss 302 Prototype" use of the car, which he did very well for me.

When I asked about doing a "Marti Report", he said it wouldn't tell much more, and would really just be for 1F02H100053.  Since Ford really seemed to have removed the car's "G" code paperwork, as since there is no "G" code invoice, I didn't do the standard form Marti report.  That was almost 2 years ago, now.  So, there's new info being found now, by Donald Farr and Kevin Marti.

I have some other info about the Dearborn stuff.  I will email you.

-Andy

Offline Hawkrod

• Needs A Job
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2008, 05:02:58 pm »
Carbs and engine pieces will always bring money as they have value to the non-restorer, it is teh 71 specific parts like decals and such that tend to be cheap. I hate to think what air cleaner that car should have though! When I get a chance I will see if it is listed in my fall of 70 MPC's. Hawkrod
Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln Premier
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
86 SVO mustang
76 F250 Crew Cab
1969 Mach I