Author Topic: Admin, question on the edit feature.  (Read 1507 times)

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
Admin, question on the edit feature.
« on: March 21, 2008, 03:20:18 pm »
Admin,

Could the edit post feature be set so that after say two to five minutes the post is locked and you can't go back in and "adjust" your comments to reflect an incorrect or innapropriate response. to see an example of what I am talking about look at the third or fourth page of the rebody thread.

Currently a person can also edit any of the quote even if it did not originally come from that person, This has already cost Stonewall dearly as he now has to buy beer the next the So-cal gets together. LOL. I just thought since the board was new and the operating features were new that;

(a) Perhaps these issues could be addressed and fixed, or

(b) Perhaps all the members of the board should be aware that when reading through a thread the quotes should be read back to the original post not any that could have been quote/edited.

(c) Stonewall should buy the beer for the Knott's get together in 2009, if by that time he hasn't bought another Boss.
1st universal rule of value,
"Parts are parts, cash is only money and doesn't have the same value. You get that right?"

2nd universal rule of value, "an object is only worth the higher of two values placed upon it by either the current entity in possession of the item, or the value placed on it by an entity wanting to take over possession of the item."

Offline Hawkrod

• Needs A Job
Re: Admin, question on the edit feature.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 03:47:54 pm »
While I agree that in this case it was unfortunate that the posts were able to be edited, I disagree with locking stuff. First off, I continually edit my posts. Especially lately since my surgery, I have been typing left handed hunt and peck and my spelling is attrocious. Later when I have reread my posts I see my errors and correct them as sometimes they have been bad enough to take on a whole new meaning! The next issue is editing quotes, I use this feature heavily especially when pictures are posted. It does not make sense to repost pictures over and over so I edit them from quotes. I also edit quotes when I am referencing a specific portion, comment, or question as well. I would prefer to let a couple of asses run wild than to lock down the forum. Specifically, if we have somebody who has abused the system by inappropriately editing quotes etc.. let us use the powers that be to resolve the problem by removing these people from the forum, we don't need unethical people here anyway. To do what you are asking is no different than the gun arguement that makes it illegal for a private citizen to own a gun because guns kill people. Following this type of logic you are asking to take away something from us and specifically penalize me for something somebody else has done because the tools that exist caused the problem. Following that I guess we should outlaw matches as they cause arson? No, rather than limit what we can do, let's deal with the people who violated our trust and remove them from our group. Hawkrod
Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln Premier
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 Ford F250 4X4 w/460 swap
86 SVO mustang
76 F250 Crew Cab
1969 Mach I
look at my cars past and present at superford!

Offline fajr22

• No Life
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:19:16 pm »
How about fixing it so you can add to a previous post but not change the original post once it has been responded to.. Kind of like an Ebay description...Once somebody bids you can add to it but not change it...  Because according to Stonewall I like green eggs and ham!!!

FRED ASHMORE
Your opinion doesn't necessarily make it Fact....

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 07:02:06 pm »
I'll look into this.

Offline Stonewall

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:19:11 pm »
You guys can forget it, I'm not going to look into this!!

Well then, no beer for you!

1, sold.                     2, sold.                    3, totalled 10/17/08.   4, owned for 1 week.  5, current & loving it!

Offline fajr22

• No Life
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:26:59 am »
hahaahahhaha that was funny stonewall!!!

FRED ASHMORE
Your opinion doesn't necessarily make it Fact....