Author Topic: Very unfortunate decision  (Read 11201 times)

Offline BossWannaBe

• PT Group
Very unfortunate decision
« on: July 11, 2008, 12:06:03 pm »
Dear Admins,

Let me first say that I really admire the efforts you guys put into running this site. I can only imagine the long hours it takes from your otherwise free time. It must truly be a labor of love for you. Thanks for doing it.

Now the “But”. I really think you have over-reacted to the “Off Topic” section posts. I just don’t see the big problem and I read a lot of it. Yes, there are members that just don’t know when to give it a rest, but is that reason enough to stop everyone from doing true “Off Topic” posting? Of course if something is truly obscene, profane, or racist it should not be tolerated, but that could happen in any of the forums. If people don’t like the way a thread is going, JUST DON’T READ IT! I don’t care about Cougars, T/A racing, or Boss 351’s, so I don’t read those forums, but I would never suggest that you get rid of them. I realize you are trying to offer a wide range of forums for people with different interests and I think the Off Topic section was a good part of that.

I come to this site almost every day (usually without logging in) and I read the Boss 302 General forum, then Cars for Sale, Parts for Sale, sometimes Events and then I read Off Topic. If I see an Off Topic thread degrading into a cat fight, I just move on to something else. It’s just not that big of a deal to me. I’m not sure why it is to you, but then, it’s not my site so maybe I’m missing something.

In the end, it is your site and you can run it the way you think is best. If you want it to be only for hard-core gear heads to only talk car stuff, so be it (and I’m not knocking those types, they are a great resource). But I really think you are making a big mistake. The “Off Topic” forum was a valuable feature. I think it makes it a much more inclusive and fun site when members can talk about Kiwi commercials, losing a loved family member, finding a snake, telling a joke, or even talking politics.

I realize this post violates your new policy and I apologize but I just wanted you to know my thoughts on your decision.

Thanks,
Wayne Thonis (BossWannaBe)
English lesson 101:

You’re very nice to let me ride in your Boss 302 that you bought in days of yore.

They’re very nice to let me ride in their Boss 302 that is parked over there.

Two Boss 302s were driving too fast for the street so they drove to the track.

Offline MD69Boss

• Needs A Job
Re: Very unfortunate decision
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:17:23 pm »
I can see your point of view, Wayne, however, I think this is long overdue, probably unpopular, but definitely a good decision.
Randy and Jeff have diligently maintained this site for, what, over a decade now, and they cannot be expected to "babysit" this section of the
site forever.
You hit the nail on the head with the select few that continue their vitriol laced posts, and back and forth garbage in an attempt to belittle the other....well you get the idea.
Also, in the past year or two there have been numerous anti-latino rhetoric and pictures posted here that are nothing short of blatantly racist.  I don't want to see that garbage on unequivocally the best automotive site on the Internet.
So in short, I applaud and thank the admin team for a difficult yet courageous move, sure to be met with a fulll backlash.

Offline BossWannaBe

• PT Group
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 01:22:39 pm »
...Randy and Jeff have diligently maintained this site for, what, over a decade now, and they cannot be expected to "babysit" this section of the site forever...

OK, would this be a solution?

Randy and/or Jeff,
Is it possible to create an administrator ID for just the Off Topic section? If so, I would be willing to try and police just that section for you guys to free you up for more Boss related things. If you would like to try this, send me an email and we can discuss how we might make it work so that Off Topic posts can resume.

Thanks,
Wayne
English lesson 101:

You’re very nice to let me ride in your Boss 302 that you bought in days of yore.

Offline fajr22

• No Life
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:22:59 pm »
I can see your point of view, Wayne, however, I think this is long overdue, probably unpopular, but definitely a good decision.
Randy and Jeff have diligently maintained this site for, what, over a decade now, and they cannot be expected to "babysit" this section of the
site forever.
You hit the nail on the head with the select few that continue their vitriol laced posts, and back and forth garbage in an attempt to belittle the other....well you get the idea.
Also, in the past year or two there have been numerous anti-latino rhetoric and pictures posted here that are nothing short of blatantly racist.  I don't want to see that garbage on unequivocally the best automotive site on the Internet.So in short, I applaud and thank the admin team for a difficult yet courageous move, sure to be met with a fulll backlash.

Then A.. like Wayne Said don't read it, B.. Report it as the Little button down in the corner allows,  C..  Be an Adult and move  on..

So do you think this will continue to be the best forum on the internet if people can't talk speak or discuss anything other then automotive.... The answer is no, as most posts are off topic and thats what keeps people here answering BOSS questions... Most people arent working on their boss everyday of the week... But come to b/s in general and respond if someone needs help... Theres 100's of mustang sites that you can get info from But the uniqueness of this site keeps people here even if they aren't working on their Boss... Eliminating this feature Eliminates the reason to come on here everday to see whats new in the boss world..  If your only coming here for the Boss info, then don't bother reading off topic posts.. Otherwise this will be just a reference site.. Like 90% of the other sites on the internet... Nobody has to baby sit it, thats why its called off topic and we voted for discipline earlier this year!!!  How are you going to have backlash if you can't post non auto related subjects??   Any Ideas on the Automotive Advertisers to try and help for server costs? or donations ? Just curious It may be win win for everybody...

FRED ASHMORE
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:31:03 pm by fajr22 »
Your opinion doesn't necessarily make it Fact....

Offline 0F02G202911

• Needs A Job
  • Henry Ford III at Peterson
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 02:06:15 pm »
Wayne eloquently expresses my feelings on this subject. The Off-topic section is what gives this site its humanity. Without it the site is significantly diminished. I'm not sure why the policy needs to be no politics, no religion, no jokes, etc. Why can't it simply be no flaming?
Gary
70 B302
68 CJ XR-7 GTE

Offline KiwiBoss429

• No Life
    • Rimblow Restorations
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 03:44:08 pm »
Hi

I must admit I am a little concerned and disappointed about the recent decision to transform the "off topic" to Automotive off topic".
My reasons are simple, I enjoy communicating to my US friends on most matters, if its Kiwi Commercials, the weather Down Under, NZ's greatest Kiwi dies, or simply just Down Under "world" events. I find that the US (world) members "sometimes" enjoy this international contact, being car related or not.......I know I do.

Lets not forget this is an International web site....isn't it? If so its a great way to make international friend and COMMUNICATE as a group of like minded people.

An "off topic" admin person to police the topic postings is a good idea. As I totally understand their concerns about these topics getting out of control. But lets just delete them if reasons and policies allow.

Re-reading my "Kiwi Commercial" posting it has a discussion regarding race in the NZ rugby team, but its of a POSITIVE RESPECT nature, with a little tounge and cheek. I HOPE THIS WAS NOT THE RACIAL CONTENT MENTIONED? IF SO I APPOLIGISE AS THIS WAS NOT MY INTENTION. Its not who I am!

Just my view on this "OFF TOPIC"

cheers
Gary
1969 Mercury Cyclone, 390GT, 4 speed, 23000 original miles!
1970 Superbird, 440 6 pack, 4 speed, HEMI orange.
1970 Mach1, 428 Cobra Jet, 4 spd, Calypso coral, rare white shaker
1970 Calypso Coral Boss 429 KK2457, 11000 original miles (sold!)
2007 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
2010 Husqvrana 510 MX (my ouch bike!)

www.rimblowrestorations.co.nz

Offline Nitro

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • R.I.P. 12/25/2016
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 05:02:05 pm »
Gary, your posts about the Kiwi Commercials and the NZ Rugby were in no way at all racial....
When I saw the Rugby vid, it started me thinking...
Why did I not have my pit crew out on the starting line doing that same sort of intimidation to my competition HMMMM ???
Good stuff !!!
I also offer my time to police or be an admin. for the off topic section......
Just me.

NITROâ„¢

Offline 6T9BOSS

• Needs A Job
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 05:34:37 pm »
I too was sad to hear the news. I am probably one of the ones Randy was talking about. However I rather enjoyed the debate as did others it seemed to me. It's your site and your way.

Like Fred and some others I enjoyed full spectrum of Off Topic , if a thread got crazy I just moved on.  To me the rest of the site was for reference or helping someone out with an answer. Lord knows I have asked and will ask more questions.

It is what it is....and I respect that.

Offline randy

• No Life
  • Banned. Randy Dickerson.
    • http://www.bossman-motorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 05:59:11 pm »
I have been at this site when it was nothing more than a "bulletin board" and then gradually evolved (as did many other bulletin boards) to full on conversations laced with links, photos, etc.  In the beginning, the majority of the heated discussions centered about controversial issues surrounding the Boss (and other Fords).  Remember ALLL the drag pack debates?  At any rate, it has only been in the past few years that a lot of "garbage" has been introduced which, I believe, has contributed to the loss of many long-standing posters.  And let's face it - money is very tight these days and server space costs money like everything else.  As far as the suggestion of introducing "vendors and ads" - I used to be a big follower of the Vintage-Mustang.com forum until it went with vendors.  It is now so cluttered, it is hard to navigate through it without being bombarded by crappy ads....

I for one support 100 percent what Randy, Jeff, and the others have done.  I guess for those that have suggested "don't read the topic if you don't care too" also have the same option here - if you don't like the changes made to this site, move on.....

randy

p.s.  I daresay, this site will still be trucking along long after the disgruntled few can no longer post "internet b.s.".....

1970 W code Boss 302
2009 GT500   SOLD
2002 WS6 Trans Am Convertible
1999 Camaro SS 6 speed
1997 LT1 Firebird Formula 6 speed
1996 Firebird V6 5 speed     SOLD
1970 Boss clone convert
1969 Mustang convert
1970 H-code Mach 1
1969 M-code Mach 1    SOLD
1970 F-code fastback
1969 H-code coupe      SOLD
1965 C-code fastback (X-tremestang)

Offline 1owner

• No Life
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 06:27:01 pm »

p.s.  I daresay, this site will still be trucking along long after the disgruntled few can no longer post "internet b.s.".....

sure the site will continue but is the site "better" without those members? Im sure the frequency of those browsing the forum will go down without the chance for a spirited debate.
We have a LOT more in common than just our love for all things Boss, give us a chance to discuss them, here, where WE gather...
Phillip B
9F02G188360

Offline tiltbilt

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 06:48:43 pm »
As always - a very few ruin it for the majority. I simply just don't read the topics that get out of hand. I do love this site - I visit it daily.
I will be an active member either way.
Mark
Tiltbilt

Offline BossWannaBe

• PT Group
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 07:14:46 pm »

... And let's face it - money is very tight these days and server space costs money like everything else. ...

If that truly is an issue, why not delete the older Off Topic posts that haven't been active for a couple of years. There must be thousands of them. An Off Topic Administrator could be in charge of a task such as this.
English lesson 101:

Offline BOSSJIM

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 07:47:52 pm »
. Punish everybody for two guys antics.
Frank

Sorry Frank, there were way more than 2, and most everyone knows that.

Jim

Offline 9F02G196848

• Global Moderator
  • Needs A Job
    • http://www.boss302.com
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 08:04:35 pm »
Some good thoughts and points here.

It has turned into a baby sitting effort at times. I will say, the profanity and obscene items have been kept down. The flaming needs to be attended to. Maybe we did over react, but sometimes that needs done to let everybody know what they had. It also gives input and ideas.

Jeff, is it possible to have an "OFF TOPICS" moderator that can only police that section? Not sure if our software allows it or not. Now, before everybody starts to volunteer to be the 'man', one step at a time and let us think about this.

Randy

Offline Rob

• PT Group
  • No Life
  • R.I.P. 6/26/2019
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 08:10:22 pm »
. Punish everybody for two guys antics.
Frank

Sorry Frank, there were way more than 2, and most everyone knows that.

Jim
Who are they?