Author Topic: Very unfortunate decision  (Read 11356 times)

Offline BOSSJIM

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
Re: Very unfortunate decision
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 08:16:29 pm »
. Punish everybody for two guys antics.
Frank

Sorry Frank, there were way more than 2, and most everyone knows that.

Jim
Who are they?

Well, should we go in alphabetical order? might take awhile for me to go into the archives and find your evidence. Past and present.

Offline KiwiBoss429

• No Life
    • Rimblow Restorations
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 08:57:33 pm »
Some good thoughts and points here.

It has turned into a baby sitting effort at times. I will say, the profanity and obscene items have been kept down. The flaming needs to be attended to. Maybe we did over react, but sometimes that needs done to let everybody know what they had. It also gives input and ideas.

Jeff, is it possible to have an "OFF TOPICS" moderator that can only police that section? Not sure if our software allows it or not. Now, before everybody starts to volunteer to be the 'man', one step at a time and let us think about this.

Randy

Thanks Randy for listening and reviewing this issue. I for one, hope the "off topic" remains as "OFF TOPIC".

As far as web sites go, this is my home  ;)

Cheers
Gary
1969 Mercury Cyclone, 390GT, 4 speed, 23000 original miles!
1970 Superbird, 440 6 pack, 4 speed, HEMI orange.
1970 Mach1, 428 Cobra Jet, 4 spd, Calypso coral, rare white shaker
1970 Calypso Coral Boss 429 KK2457, 11000 original miles (sold!)
2007 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
2010 Husqvrana 510 MX (my ouch bike!)

www.rimblowrestorations.co.nz

Offline les

• R.I.P.
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 06:42:49 am »
0644 hrs.breakfest club! i guess i'm to blame for a lot of non-boss issues,but truly my intentions were meant for boss family issues,and to remind boss owners to involve all family and friends in our boss for they are the future of our club,another subject i pushed was restore don't crush,there arn't many more out there so we need to save them,i no longer own a boss i gave mine to my daughter as a memorial to her daughter who would spend hrs.with me in the garage,now all i hear is the boss coming done the street(that unforgetable rumble)her and her nine year old are not letting it set in the garage,her boy is hooked,always pressuring her to go for a cruise(brodie,you want to go to the store with me,"only if we can take the boss!"also hereing about the life events of other members and there families,i consider you all good friends even if we disagree,i tried to take out some of the seriousness but to still maintain a softer less up tight boss site which i think is needed(enjoy your boss)i still don't care to go ice fishing!!   LT.LES  still smk.free,sex deprived but got my r.& r.   YOU AND YOURS PLSE.BE SAFE!

Offline JoshBolger

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 07:37:12 am »
I agree that this action is very unforntunate for the entire Boss302 site. The "Off Topic" section was one of my favorite sections and usually my daily routine would start here and end here.

I do realize that several of the most recent topics in "Off Topics" were lively at least and heated at most however these items helped reveal (at least for me) several sides of many of today's most contraversial items of life here in the good ol' USA and beyond.

I have enjoyed learning from my friends here on this site, seeing the different prespectives, I feel has been enlightening and allowed me to think about subjects in tangental ways from my base. The exchange of ideas is fundemetal to the appeal of this site for me, and I'm sure for many more.

I think that rather than punish the entire site for the trangressions of a few (that may include myself), the administration of indiviual topics would be a better solution. I don't intend to dissappear from this site, however the limitation now in effect will most asuredly minimize my participation.

All of that said, I understand the reasoning, this is Randy & Jeff's "house" and we are all guests and the rules are set by the home owner.

Thanks for the opportunity and outlet that you have provided us all on your site.

Josh
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:45:33 am by JoshBolger »
Josh Bolger
(*1T113044)

Offline bossnoc

• No Life
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 10:00:50 am »
I agree with Kiwi - Gary... This part of the forum has been full of fun stuff like your Aussie commercials. I responded and I thought they were a blast. In fact, taught me a thing or two about their culture down under. The comment made were pure tongue and cheek and surely not meant to offend anyone.

Kevin
1970 GG Boss 302
1974 Bronco 54,000 orig miles
1997 F250 7.3 Power Stroke
Got away
1969 Mach 1 428 4 Speed
1969 GT Convertible 428 4 Speed
2 1969 CC Boss 302's
1 1970 Pastel Boss 302
1965 K GT FB Rangoon Red
Many More

Offline SSSupercobra

• Needs A Job
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 10:43:27 am »
Well,

I also enjoy the off topics posts and find myself looking at them as much as the rest of the forum.

I don't feel it is right to punish everyone for a few peoples mistakes.

We are all supposed to be adults here.

I think we should get another chance. Punt the law breakers and allow the others to enjoy this site to the fullest.

John
1970 Grabber Orange BOSS 302
2015 Black F150 Crew FX4

Auto Graphics Plus

I reproduce 69 and 70 Boss 302 stripe kits and other muscle car decals.

Offline McKeever

• Needs A Job
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 06:01:38 pm »
"The Poll"....
I thought The Admin had taken a "Poll", and put the question to the members about banning members who become abusive.
As I recall the numbers showed a very high percentage of members agreed with the Admin, what happened to that "Poll"?
This seems an apporiate time to review it.
Thanks for being open minded, as always Thanks for all your effort!
Owned my BOSS since March 1974.
0F02G154740 Dearborn 1-16-70
Honesty is doing the right thing with a witness.
Integrity is doing the right thing without one.
Ken Miles "There's a point 7000 RPM is where you need it"

Offline Nitro

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • R.I.P. 12/25/2016
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 06:22:09 pm »
Very good idea !!!
I also wish to see a poll about this and not just be dictated to.......
Yes, admin or who ever owns this site but what good is it if the members can not voice there veiws or ask questions that are not related to a Boss ??
Please do not mess with a good thing !
That goes for all, admin. and members alike....
Just me.

NITROâ„¢

Offline Boss302Fan

• No Life
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 06:41:14 pm »
I guess freedom of speech does not go here. Some of the topics were on the edge but I also think that most of us know that the comments made were pure tongue in cheek and not meant to offend anyone on the forum.

In my opinion, the appropiate way to handle it would be a few warnings, then if it continued, a boot off the forum.

Offline BossWannaBe

• PT Group
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 02:54:27 am »
Let’s try and stay positive here and try to come up with solutions to make administration of the Off Topic forum less of a burden for the admins. It is a privately owned web site that belongs to Randy and Jeff and they can run it how ever they want. I think they are very generous to let pretty much anyone use the site and without charge. So complaining about being dictated to, or demanding free speech, doesn’t really apply because they are footing the bill. We are all free to run our own web sites if we want, then you can say what ever you want and no one can dictate rules to you. But you will have to run it and pay for it.

My point in starting this thread was NOT to start a gripe session. It was to express my opinion of how I thought the old Off Topic forum was a real asset to the site (at least for me). And to try and get the admins to reconsider their new policy. But if they feel that it is too much effort, and/or not enough benefit, to police the Off Topic part of the site, then so be it.
English lesson 101:

You’re very nice to let me ride in your Boss 302 that you bought in days of yore.

They’re very nice to let me ride in their Boss 302 that is parked over there.

Two Boss 302s were driving too fast for the street so they drove to the track.

Offline Mary

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 07:25:28 am »
Randy let me be the (woman)....and thanks for all of your time and trouble.

Mary
img]c:/documents and settings/dark aqua metallic.JPG[/img]

Offline 6T9BOSS

• Needs A Job
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 07:26:34 am »
I agree with BOSSwannaBe. Let's stay positive after all we are guests in their house.

Offline Boss302Fan

• No Life
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 09:25:13 am »
I agree.

Online 0F02G202911

• Needs A Job
  • Henry Ford III at Peterson
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 01:18:37 pm »
I agree with and support all of the positive things that have been said about this site and its originators/administrators. They continue to provide a wonderful service to the community in support of a worthy cause. It is in that spirit that I offer the following.

Another facet I'd like to put forth is that organizations, as they grow and evolve, tend to take on a life of their own. Yes, we are "guests in Randy and Jeff's home." But in a way that is like saying that the UAW is a guest inside the Ford Motor Company. The shareholders own the Ford Motor Company, but the workers have established certain rights and privileges within the organization.

I doubt that Randy and Jeff had any idea when they started the forum that the Off-topic area would have become what it has. It has become everything and more than what people have expressed in this thread. Friendships have been formed, and good things have come from this area. The Matt "Gonn67" Fire Fund is a great example of something that would never have happened if this were just a technical forum.

I unfortunately must say too, that I was dismayed by what, in my understanding, has happened to the off-topic section. I say it that way because I don't have all the facts. But it seems like we are all being punished because a thread or two got out of hand, or a couple of guys got into a pissing match. I think a PM or two to the offending parties would have been sufficient, assuming that did not happen behind the scenes. We are adults here and I feel like we are being punished like children.

As far as costs to keep the site going, I would be very happy to chip in. Perhaps a voluntary dues arrangement could be set up. Monthly or yearly financial statements could be posted, a PayPal account could be set up, and I am certain that the generous members of this forum would gladly and easily cover the expenses.

Again, I think this site has grown and evolved, and it would be healthy if the "management" could find a reasonable way to adapt to the changes.

With every good wish,

Gary Woodward
Gary
70 B302
68 CJ XR-7 GTE

Offline Stonewall

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 01:32:50 pm »
Sample language from other forums:

Off Topic:  Anything not concerning [BOSS Mustangs/Cougars] posted here. Keep this area clean and civil. ** NO TECHNICAL DISCUSSIONS HERE, PLEASE POST IN THE APPROPRIATE TECH FORUM **

Religion and Politics Forum:  Enter here at your own risk. These two topics are very sensitive and are rarely agreed upon by any two individuals. Please be responsible adults in here.

With the world as it is, elections upcoming, people facing challenges during current or pending retirement, and this being the main hang for many... a chorus of voices with varying opinion can be helpful.

I'm sure I contributed to this mess.  For that I apologize to this board.

1, sold.                     2, sold.                    3, totalled 10/17/08.   4, owned for 1 week.  5, current & loving it!