Author Topic: Boss 302 Maverick  (Read 15278 times)

Offline Gus-SK-Boss

Boss 302 Maverick
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:53:32 pm »
Hi every one,

I don't know if every one has seen this photo yet. It's on the last page of Muscle Car Review, March 2010 issue by Tom Shaw.
The article goes on about a lot of stuff, but there is a brief paragraph about the car.

Quote, "Did you know that Ford had taken the concept of a Boss Maverick to at least the prototype stage?"
And it goes on to say. Randy Hernandez, son of Fran Hernandez, had this photo. It was one of many that he had with him.

Quote, "We don't know if the Boss was a 302 or maybe a 351 because the engine isn't called out in the photo, but judging from the size of the fat tires, it had some major power."

I wonder if the car got out of Fords hands, or did it get destroyed. Or it could have been returned back to a stock Maverick and sold. It might be out there just sitting around waiting to be found.

Gus

Offline BlueOval Ralph

• Cool Newbie
Re: Boss 302 Maverick
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:36:58 am »
I was at Ford Engineering at the time and it was a Boss 302.  the car ended up in the hands of Bob Corn who was a engineer at the time he and his brothinlaw  Doug Thompson ran the car in D/MP in Div 3 NHRA corn & Thompson. a side not Did you know that Ford of South Africa built 50 Caprias with Boss 302 for Ralling there.. There was a kit devloped in Germany to put the driveline in the cars. It fit really well beter than a Boss in a Maverick

Hi every one,

I don't know if every one has seen this photo yet. It's on the last page of Muscle Car Review, March 2010 issue by Tom Shaw.
The article goes on about a lot of stuff, but there is a brief paragraph about the car.

Quote, "Did you know that Ford had taken the concept of a Boss Maverick to at least the prototype stage?"
And it goes on to say. Randy Hernandez, son of Fran Hernandez, had this photo. It was one of many that he had with him.

Quote, "We don't know if the Boss was a 302 or maybe a 351 because the engine isn't called out in the photo, but judging from the size of the fat tires, it had some major power."

I wonder if the car got out of Fords hands, or did it get destroyed. Or it could have been returned back to a stock Maverick and sold. It might be out there just sitting around waiting to be found.

Gus

Offline Gus-SK-Boss

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:45:08 am »
Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the info that was very interesting. Is the car still around, or is the car gone? I know that this next question is a very tough one to answer but did the Maverick have a "G" in the Vin number? I'm sure that you never even thought about looking at the vin number, but hey you never know what folk remember or did. (lol)

Ralph, did you do any work at Kar Kraft? And do you know Mitch Marchi or Lee Dykstra?

Gus

Offline Bossboy302

• No Life
  • Pushing to tech-1971
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:59:28 am »
Probably a different Maverick, but I recall reading an article about a Boss 302 / Doug Nash 5-speed Maverick built up by Ak Miller for Ford. Some suspension upgrades were done as well. It was called 'Hoss 302' (?).  Been a while...

Offline BlueOval Ralph

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:02:54 am »
Not sure on vin  what did G stand for as I remeber it was a base 302 maverick to get 5 bolt wheels and it was the one in the picture. Have no idea where car is today or who Corn sold it to.  It had a roll cage in it and was tubed and a 9" rear as I remember for DR tires.  Never worked ay Kar kraft but I  know  who  Dykstra is as a DR he wouldn't give us much time.  (Too Low Cast)

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the info that was very interesting. Is the car still around, or is the car gone? I know that this next question is a very tough one to answer but did the Maverick have a "G" in the Vin number? I'm sure that you never even thought about looking at the vin number, but hey you never know what folk remember or did. (lol)

Ralph, did you do any work at Kar Kraft? And do you know Mitch Marchi or Lee Dykstra?

Gus

Offline Danoh1

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:31:41 am »
Back at the Boss 302 Carlisle reunion, there was a forum member who drag raced Boss 302 Mavericks.  I can't remember his name.  but he was very knowledgeable about these cars.  Did he have a Boss 302 Maverick in the building with Smokey's car?  I know I talked to him there.

Anybody remember him?
1970 M code Boss T/A (ala Dano)  link to racecar
HHP

Offline Danoh1

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:36:20 am »
found him.  Now I remember:

the Main Man himself, Frank Druse Jr. "The Bossman" Sweeet !

Frank would know about the factory Boss 302 powered cars.  I think there was more than one.

from a previous post:
You can call me at 607-264-8032 or e-mail me at bossman6798@ aol.com Thanks Frank Druse Jr

the search engine is your friend.
HHP

Offline BlueOval Ralph

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:34:39 am »
There was only one FACTORY Supported Boss 302 Maverick that was one that Lou Williams & Bob Mcnall had both were engineers at Ford that was 1969 by 1970 the was NO DRAG RACE budget..  thes Bosses we have been talking about were after FORD pulled the plug on all Racing  Offical date of withdrawl was the day before Thanksgiving day of 1970 that day it was the headline in the Detroit News  rad FORD WITHDRAWS I still have a copy of that paper somewhere at home  A VERY SAD Day in Dearborn.  The people that worked at Kar Kraft showed up to LOCKED DOORs and wre sent home.

found him.  Now I remember:

the Main Man himself, Frank Druse Jr. "The Bossman" Sweeet !

C
from a previous post:
You can call me at 607-264-8032 or e-mail me at bossman6798@ aol.com Thanks Frank Druse Jr

the search engine is your friend.

Offline Danoh1

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 06:08:28 pm »
So, did you talk to Frank?  He's the most knowledgeable person I know of in regards to Boss Mavericks.

Don't know you, but sounds like you also know a lot.

I just called Frank.  It's been a while since we talked.  it was good to catch up.  He has "Stripper II", which is the car you are talking about.  Originally run by Bob Mcnall and Lou Willams, and featured in a June or July 1970 Hot Rod.

He has just finished the engine and is waiting for some carb work.  Running 2 big Autolite in line four barrels on an old Doug Nash Fuel Injection manifold.

here's an old post about it:
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=4518.0

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:17:09 pm by Danoh1 »
HHP

Offline Gus-SK-Boss

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 07:29:30 pm »
Hi,
What great info about Boss 302 Mavericks. I knew that there were some Mavericks that were drag raced. I still have the magazines articles. Thanks for the info Dan and Ralph and Brian great stuff.

Ralph, the "G" in Vin. is for Boss 302 engine on the Mustangs. I know that there was a prototype Boss 302 Shelby Mustang, and a 1971 Boss 302 Mustang prototype that were built by Ford. Both of these cars have surfaced and were in resent magazine articles and have a "G" in the Vin. I was just wondering if the Maverick had the same. There was also a Boss 429 Maverick as well (Steve Stranges book, Boss 429, talks about them) and I think that there is one example in someones hands.

Gus

Offline BlueOval Ralph

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 08:19:23 am »
I can tell while I was Ford Engineering from 1966 to 1980 there were alot of engineering cars built from production cars and the VIN's did not change when drivetrains were replaced by different combo's, they were what they were built as. If it was a 6 cyl car even though it ended up with a V8 the vin was not changed.  One reason as I remember was when a vehicle was titled in Mich sales tax was paid of a new or corrected VIN was issued more tax was due.

Hi,
What great info about Boss 302 Mavericks. I knew that there were some Mavericks that were drag raced. I still have the magazines articles. Thanks for the info Dan and Ralph and Brian great stuff.

Ralph, the "G" in Vin. is for Boss 302 engine on the Mustangs. I know that there was a prototype Boss 302 Shelby Mustang, and a 1971 Boss 302 Mustang prototype that were built by Ford. Both of these cars have surfaced and were in resent magazine articles and have a "G" in the Vin. I was just wondering if the Maverick had the same. There was also a Boss 429 Maverick as well (Steve Stranges book, Boss 429, talks about them) and I think that there is one example in someones hands.

Gus

Offline gt350hr

• No Life
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 10:45:27 am »
   Danoh,
       When the Stripper II was built the original induction was an IR T/A intake with special injector bodies that mated to the dominator flange. I am sure Ralph will renenber this too.

The Doug Nash Boss Maverick was an "after hours" built car done by Doug and Dan Nowak. It had a "yellow" engine in it (which should give Ralph a chuckle). Experimental Engineering engines were often painted different colors based on what dept they were being done for or what phase of development.

Another conversion that hit the magazines was done here in Ca by Trans-Dapt and nick named the S A A P(striped aXX ape project) becasue it supposedly went that fast. I saw it on a used car lot in Whittier Ca 30 years ago and the Boss was still in it. An old CC or HR would have the Ca lic # and it might be traceable that way.

One Boss Maverick was built by Roush on a "raised floor pan" Pro Stock Maverick tub for Rickie Smith.
The B/SM "Country Shindig" car was outlawed by NHRA after it's first race and ran IHRA where it was VERY famous. It still exists in the hands of a private collector. The original engine is owned by another collector.
  Remarriage may be on the horizon. All other Boss Mavericks that ran B/SM were owner built.

Randy
'66 GT350H (6S477)1of 18 white w/blue side stripes - drag raced mostly w / Boss 302 power for 35+ years
68.5 Cobra Jet fb  white w/blue c stripe 4spd
sorry never owned a Boss car just engines
cover Car Craft July '77 with my Boss powered GT350
cover/article Mustang Illustrated Fall 1987 w/all aluminum SK 351 Cleveland powered Mustang II
cover /article Modified Mustangs Feb 2011
cover Mustang Monthly  June 2014

Offline BlueOval Ralph

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 11:29:12 am »
One Boss Maverick was built by Roush on a "raised floor pan" Pro Stock Maverick tub for Rickie Smith.
The B/SM "Country Shindig" car was outlawed by NHRA after it's first race and ran IHRA where it was VERY famous. It still exists in the hands of a private collector. The original engine is owned by another collector.
  Remarriage may be on the horizon. All other Boss Mavericks that ran B/SM were owner built.

1. All other Boss Mavericks that ran B/SM were owner built.

Not true Fadely's car the Super Stock car was built at Don Hardys in Floydada Texas.

2. Rickies car was not banned by NHRA he just could not run it in SM as it was tubed for 14x32s and had a Nash 5 speed  and a fabbed intake  which were not legal in NHRA SM.  He did run it at the 1977 US Nationals in D/MP but could not win class to advance to the Elminatoron Monday.  It WAS NOT built by ROUSH!! It was built in the GAPP & ROUSH shop by Loui Wolsinski & Wayne. Some things on that car were coppied from Fadely's Hardy Car and some things were changed The front end of the G & R Shop was the engine shop the back end was Car Chassis shop ran by Gapp (BTW it was where the Four Door Pro Stock Maverick was converted.  Before anyone screams here is the story on that deal.  The car was built as a 2door by Don Hardy for Frank Parker & Ron Ross who the sold it to G&R Wayne & Loui streched the car into a four door it went from a 103 wb to 108 wb
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:25:28 am by BlueOval Ralph »

Offline gt350hr

• No Life
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 12:42:47 pm »
     Ralph,
       Thanks for the clarificatiom. By owner built I meant not done by Ford. Proffesional chassis shops like Hardy, M&S, Wolverine etc. built them for sure. I remember the fact that Arlen worked for Ford and got help from them.
      My information on Rickie's car came from him, saying that "Roush" had a left over Pro Stock tub and the car was built using that tub. Certainly this was in the Gapp& Roush era before Wayne retired , thanks for the correction. The wheel tubs weren't the only odd thing about those tubs as I'm sure you are aware.
   Rickie was told not to enter B/SM with the car based on the differences in the tub. Of course it would be legal in any other class where body modifications were allowed.
    A hand made(modified Torker 351) possibly an original intake is still on the engine a friend owns. The cast Gapp & Roush version I bought was used on Jim Stevens car.
        Thanks for the corrections Ralph !
         Randy
'66 GT350H (6S477)1of 18 white w/blue side stripes - drag raced mostly w / Boss 302 power for 35+ years
68.5 Cobra Jet fb  white w/blue c stripe 4spd
sorry never owned a Boss car just engines
cover Car Craft July '77 with my Boss powered GT350
cover/article Mustang Illustrated Fall 1987 w/all aluminum SK 351 Cleveland powered Mustang II
cover /article Modified Mustangs Feb 2011
cover Mustang Monthly  June 2014

Offline BlueOval Ralph

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 02:45:20 pm »
     Ralph,
       Thanks for the clarificatiom. By owner built I meant not done by Ford. Proffesional chassis shops like Hardy, M&S, Wolverine etc. built them for sure. I remember the fact that Arlen worked for Ford and got help from them.
      My information on Rickie's car came from him, saying that "Roush" had a left over Pro Stock tub and the car was built using that tub. Certainly this was in the Gapp& Roush era before Wayne retired , thanks for the correction. The wheel tubs weren't the only odd thing about those tubs as I'm sure you are aware.
   Rickie was told not to enter B/SM with the car based on the differences in the tub. Of course it would be legal in any other class where body modifications were allowed.
    A hand made(modified Torker 351) possibly an original intake is still on the engine a friend owns. The cast Gapp & Roush version I bought was used on Jim Stevens car.
        Thanks for the corrections Ralph !
         Randy

I was also at Ford at the time and went alot of the races with Fadely and I can tell he got NO help from FORD, they were out and Racing was a dirty word.  He had some help from Walt Hickey Ford in Southgate and later from Gorono Ford in Woodhaven.  The body was bought through the parts department for just uner $500.00 it was shipped from the nearest Assembly plant which happened to be Kansas City Asm. so they Ford parts had it shipped to Hardy's. I went with him to pick up the car at Hardy's in just after Xmas day 1974 to pick up car. Ricky's car was built from a street Maverick not a body in white.