Author Topic: Inland Empire Engine Builders  (Read 1916 times)

Offline JRGBOSS

• No Life
Inland Empire Engine Builders
« on: June 05, 2010, 10:07:58 pm »
Recommendation needed on competent shop to check out the block and components on 1970 Boss 302 engine due to water in oil. Engine was rebuilt over 20 years ago and has less than 500 miles on it. Noticed water in oil after I brought it back from getting new rocker arms and nuts installed. Thank you.
Purchased in March 1976 and driven daily until 1981.

Offline RadBOSS

• True BOSS 302 Exhange Enthusiast
  • A/S Solo I RIR Turn 6, 1973-4
Re: Inland Empire Engine Builders
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:16:39 pm »
see my comment your other related post

69 BOSS - original owner
87 Merkur Xr4Ti (with Sierra Cosworth body kit)
91 Craftsman XL1000 riding lawn mower :-)
03 Volvo S60
05 Mustang GT
08 Cadillac CTS 4
12 GMC Yukon XL

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. " - Will Rogers

Offline noboss

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:54:37 am »
Email Randy (Bossman)  he lives in the I.E. and he should know a good place that can help you.

bosssman@verizon.net
Back in the Day

Offline JRGBOSS

• No Life
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 01:21:35 pm »
Email Randy (Bossman)  he lives in the I.E. and he should know a good place that can help you.

bosssman@verizon.net

Thank you, I just sent him an email.

On Tuesday I will work on removing the other head and see what I find. If the engine was rebuilt and the car not used what would the water in the oil cause on the bottom end? Surface rust of some of the  parts? Would all of the bottom end parts need to be replaced? Just curious.

Offline noboss

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:31:41 pm »
You have to see what they look like , the Pistons are probably good , the Rods are probably good , the Bearings might be OK but if you have the Engine apart just replace them , if you clean everything really good it should Run Fine with just replacing the Head and Intake gaskets , if it does not you would just be out some $ for the Gaskets and your time. When you get the Heads off I would spray some Oil in the Cylinders and crank the Engine over a few times to get the Cylinders coated with oil , if the Engine just started getting water in it the Lower End might be OK , I would just put it back together and see what happens.
Back in the Day

Offline JRGBOSS

• No Life
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 03:08:35 pm »
You have to see what they look like , the Pistons are probably good , the Rods are probably good , the Bearings might be OK but if you have the Engine apart just replace them , if you clean everything really good it should Run Fine with just replacing the Head and Intake gaskets , if it does not you would just be out some $ for the Gaskets and your time. When you get the Heads off I would spray some Oil in the Cylinders and crank the Engine over a few times to get the Cylinders coated with oil , if the Engine just started getting water in it the Lower End might be OK , I would just put it back together and see what happens.

When I take the other head off on Tuesday I will do the spraying oil recommendation. After I cleaned up I sprayed a little WD40 on the heads and top of pistons to prevent rust. What I did find was a lot of plugged up ports in the heads and block. Seem to be from the radiator water rusting from sitting around so much. If I knew how to post some pics I would put up a few. Thank you

Offline Bigdee

• R.I.P.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 03:20:06 pm »
might it be that the antifreeze ratio was too low and the block froze during the winter and produced a crack somewhere could be a possibility!
Nevermind, I just saw where you lived.
Darrell

Offline Gonn67

• Needs A Job
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 09:21:44 pm »
ST Motorsports in San Bernardino.  They do a lot of late model tuning, but the owner is awsome at every model and loves the early stuff. I have been a lot of places and they are awsome. I would have them build the motor then dyno tune it when it's in the car.  I will never have a motor build any more without dyno tuning it in the car.  They are in the magazines every other month and their prices are reasonable. 

http://www.spankintime.com/

http://www.lateral-g.net/
1968 R Cobra Jet "135"
1969 Boss 302
1970 Convertible

Offline JRGBOSS

• No Life
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 10:17:14 am »
Anybody have a picture of what a new intake manifold gasket should look like? Thank you

Offline JRGBOSS

• No Life
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 10:34:37 am »
Perfect match! However, they do not look like any of the pics that these Mustang part houses show for the intake manifold gaskets. The question then becomes who is the most reliable source for all of the gaskets needed for a Boss 302. Thanks for the link.

Offline Gonn67

• Needs A Job
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 10:35:32 am »
Perfect match! However, they do not look like any of the pics that these Mustang part houses show for the intake manifold gaskets. The question then becomes who is the most reliable source for all of the gaskets needed for a Boss 302. Thanks for the link.

Summit is fine.

http://www.lateral-g.net/
1968 R Cobra Jet "135"
1969 Boss 302
1970 Convertible

Offline JRGBOSS

• No Life
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 11:32:09 am »

Summit is fine.

The intake manifold gaskets I found at Summit do not seem to match the intake manifold. The head gaskets and the valve cover gaskets appear to be a match.

Offline KevinR

• Needs A Job
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 10:16:15 pm »
ST Motorsports in San Bernardino.  They do a lot of late model tuning, but the owner is awsome at every model and loves the early stuff. I have been a lot of places and they are awsome. I would have them build the motor then dyno tune it when it's in the car.  I will never have a motor build any more without dyno tuning it in the car.  They are in the magazines every other month and their prices are reasonable. 

http://www.spankintime.com/

Hey Matt, I'm having my engine rebuilt right now and it will go on a dyno Friday.  What's the added value of having it dyno'ed on a chassis dyno after I do the install?