Author Topic: 427 4V Magnesium Intake Manifold  (Read 1946 times)

Offline PartsKen

• 9F02G213214 Texas World Speedway 1977
427 4V Magnesium Intake Manifold
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:15:49 pm »

This is way off topic but I work at a Ford Dealer here in Dallas Tx and I need the help of some of the intelligent people on THIS site. Randy or Gus some of you guys had to be around when this old Cobra was drag raced. Its CSX3198 and the manifold has a water leak up near the front somewhere around the distributor area. It has been brought to my attention several times by the mechanic. I want him to take it off, I'm sure it can be repaired but it's in the museum. It's one of the favorite feature cars and cannot be disassembled long. It has FoMoCo written or cast on the passenger side beside the carb area and C5AE-9424-N on the front runner. They want me to find a replacement, yippeee ! ! !
 I'm sure they made at least a dozen or so of these ! ! !    ::)

BTW,This is a very nice quality fit and finished manifold. The FoMoCo is very uniform and the part number very legible. Is there a chance that this is a repop ? It just looks too nice to be a 45 yr old magnesium manifold to me. Thank's in advance, I hope ! ! !

http://packautomotivemuseum.com/c155.html

Thank's
      Ken ! ! !

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack
a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

current car 9F02G213214
Previously owned Bosses
               9F02G197479
               0F02G168615
               0F02G180622

Offline gt350hr

• No Life
Re: 427 4V Magnesium Intake Manifold
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 02:16:26 pm »
   Ken ,
      Quicker to repair than replace for sure! The "number" floating around has been 50 made and most have porosity problems. These were not made to last 45+ years! I haven't owned one in years but they do come out every now and then expect to be $1,000+ and poor condition.
     Randy
'66 GT350H (6S477)1of 18 white w/blue side stripes - drag raced mostly w / Boss 302 power for 35+ years
68.5 Cobra Jet fb  white w/blue c stripe 4spd
sorry never owned a Boss car just engines
cover Car Craft July '77 with my Boss powered GT350
cover/article Mustang Illustrated Fall 1987 w/all aluminum SK 351 Cleveland powered Mustang II
cover /article Modified Mustangs Feb 2011
cover Mustang Monthly  June 2014

Offline PartsKen

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 03:23:18 pm »

I agree on the repair. Thats a good point about the porosity issues. I just assumed it had corroded a hole in it from the sitting all this time. It may be as porise (spel) as a sponge. That would require paint or possibly powder coating to repair. Sounds like it they better pull it off and just leave the hood down for a while. Thank's for the quick response ! ! 
Thank's
      Ken ! ! !

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack
a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

current car 9F02G213214
Previously owned Bosses
               9F02G197479
               0F02G168615
               0F02G180622

Offline Mpcoluv

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:18:31 pm »
Could the inside of the inside of the manifold be coated with jet hot of maybe powder coating to seal it up but leave the exterior looking original?

Offline Gus-SK-Boss

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:17:21 pm »
Hey Ken,

I had one of the Mag. 427 intake manifolds a long time ago. It was repaired under the water neck and heat risers. The guy I bought the intake from had two, but that was back in the 80's. They are out there, somewhere. I will call a few people and see if anybody has one. They also used them on the Mark IV's I believe. If I'm wrong someone will correct me. I have seen the intake clear coated to protect them. I also understand that the Mag. intake can be a handful to seal correctly to the engine sometimes. I'm sorry that I don't have any photos of the reparied areas.

Gus

Offline PartsKen

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 06:56:49 am »

Well Gus that is the exact manifold thats on the car. I also think your right about it being difficult to get that manifold to seal. Bottom line is they must take the intake off and see what the problem is.
I may have to help them out with a better quality gasket than they get from Napa. Keith Kraft is close and builds a lot of 427 Ford motors for the kit Cobra's. I bet he has some good stuff or will tell me where to go, lol. He's not very shy.

Thank's again for the quick responses and sorry about the off topic. It just goes to show this pool of knowledge runs deep.
Thank's
      Ken ! ! !

current car 9F02G213214
Previously owned Bosses
               9F02G197479
               0F02G168615
               0F02G180622

Offline Gus-SK-Boss

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:02:17 am »
Ken,

You can see a little bit of the corrosion on the water neck in some of the photos. The thermostat area was eaten away and was no longer round, check that too. It was really bad underneath the intake at the water neck area. One thing you might have to do if the car sit for lond periods of time is to drain the water. Bad part is you will have to push it around a lot.(lol) You can try putting an aluminum intake manifold, and have it powder coated to look like magnesium, and put the real intake on the shelf. Oh, by the way, when you take the manifold off, as well as the carb. Pick up the intake all by it's self and you will be amazed as to how light a magnesium intake is for an FE. Have a nice day.(lol)

Gus

Offline 1109RWHP

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 05:47:00 pm »
I work on BMW's that have mag blocks on some of the straight six motors and coolant on the magnesium is a big no-no. They have aluminum coolant jacket liners in the block and all the bolts that go into the magnesium part are one time use aluminum. The head gasket is even designed so if it leaks it runs off onto the ground instead of the block. Not sure what you would do in your case. Keep it empty if you can.

Offline TACoupe

• flickr
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 01:00:04 pm »
Try using Evans coolant:  http://www.evanscooling.com/

Roy

Offline RadBOSS

• Needs A Job
  • A/S Solo I RIR Turn 6, 1973-4
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 12:14:21 am »
Try using Evans coolant:  http://www.evanscooling.com/

Roy

One should be really cautious about running that stuff.  Its primarily very highly concentrated ethylene glycol.  Its flammable(!!) and a friend of mine was seriously burned when he had a coolant fire on his B class Streamliner at Bonneville going thru the 5 mile speed traps at about 360 MPH a couple years ago.  SCTA has banned this coolant since then.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:22:13 am by RadBOSS »

69 BOSS - original owner
87 Merkur Xr4Ti (with Sierra Cosworth body kit)
91 Craftsman XL1000 riding lawn mower :-)
03 Volvo S60
05 Mustang GT
08 Cadillac CTS 4
12 GMC Yukon XL

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. " - Will Rogers

Offline RadBOSS

• Needs A Job
  • A/S Solo I RIR Turn 6, 1973-4
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:20:46 am »
Ken,

You can see a little bit of the corrosion on the water neck in some of the photos. The thermostat area was eaten away and was no longer round, check that too. It was really bad underneath the intake at the water neck area. One thing you might have to do if the car sit for lond periods of time is to drain the water. Bad part is you will have to push it around a lot.(lol) You can try putting an aluminum intake manifold, and have it powder coated to look like magnesium, and put the real intake on the shelf. Oh, by the way, when you take the manifold off, as well as the carb. Pick up the intake all by it's self and you will be amazed as to how light a magnesium intake is for an FE. Have a nice day.(lol)

Gus

Back in the day,  we had to have formula car mag wheels sealed due to the porosity.  I do not recall the name of the process,  but the wheels were placed in a pressure vessel filled with a special fluid and subjected to high pressure for a period of time.  The wheels may have even been baked after that that.  Cured air leakage from the wheels.  Powder coating the passages may not be a bad thing either.

69 BOSS - original owner
87 Merkur Xr4Ti (with Sierra Cosworth body kit)
91 Craftsman XL1000 riding lawn mower :-)
03 Volvo S60
05 Mustang GT
08 Cadillac CTS 4
12 GMC Yukon XL

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. " - Will Rogers

Offline PartsKen

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 09:45:40 am »
 Well after its all said and done the intake is leaking a little at the base of the hole the thermostat mounts in, probably an easy fix. Somebody along the way has also sleeved the center bolt holes next to the carb pad. It seems it may be leaking a little there too. The sleeves are not sealing up tightly or its leaking around them. Fortunately they have decided to retire the magnesium intake and replace it with an aluminum 4V medium riser intake. I am having trouble identifying which intake could be correct for this type car. All the regular 4V FE intakes I see are to new or just say FE. I suppose the C3AZ-9424-F from the link below would be the most likely candidate, but it doesn't use the road draft tube. Anybody got one they want to sell ?

http://mustangtek.com/FordIntake.html
Thank's
      Ken ! ! !

current car 9F02G213214
Previously owned Bosses
               9F02G197479
               0F02G168615
               0F02G180622

Offline gt350hr

• No Life
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 01:39:15 pm »
     Ken ,
         The closest match would be a PI as far as looks. You "might" be able to find one with the C5AE part number. A C3AE is a low riser and is no where near as good. Any repair other than welding will eliminate the future ability to weld the hole due to contamination that would ruin the weld. I would only coat/epoxy repair as a last resort.
      Randy
'66 GT350H (6S477)1of 18 white w/blue side stripes - drag raced mostly w / Boss 302 power for 35+ years
68.5 Cobra Jet fb  white w/blue c stripe 4spd
sorry never owned a Boss car just engines
cover Car Craft July '77 with my Boss powered GT350
cover/article Mustang Illustrated Fall 1987 w/all aluminum SK 351 Cleveland powered Mustang II
cover /article Modified Mustangs Feb 2011
cover Mustang Monthly  June 2014