Author Topic: 70 Boss 302 Holman Moody Trans Am Racer On Ebay  (Read 964 times)

Online BOSS-STANG

• Needs A Job
70 Boss 302 Holman Moody Trans Am Racer On Ebay
« on: August 01, 2010, 03:23:25 pm »
Anyone know of this Holman Moody 70 Boss 302 for sale? Lots of pics.

http://tinyurl.com/Boss302T-A

Offline Nickthefish

Re: 70 Boss 302 Holman Moody Trans Am Racer On Ebay
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:32:02 pm »
All I know is what I put in the auction. Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Nick

nickantonucci@yahoo.com

Offline crossboss

• No Life
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:05:13 am »
It appears to me as more of a drag racer than a T/A car.

Offline TA28

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:35:49 am »
nick ; Island dragway is well known in NJ. still there and drag's are still run. i don't remeber the car from when my dad ran his 70 mach1 scj car.

Offline ASedan

• No Life
  • Live by the wrench - Die by the checkbook
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 12:10:30 pm »
Nick-
If this thing ran SCCA, it should have a small inspection hole drilled with the logbook number stamped somewhere on the main rollbar hoop.  The shocks would be for road race application, but other normal components, like a panhard are missing.  Doesn't mean it didn't happen.  I know of guys who ran one or two SCCA events with basically stock cars.  It is an interesting piece.

Offline Bossboy302

• No Life
  • Pushing to tech-1971
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:00:59 pm »
Maybe it's best not to (mis) lead anyone down the "Trans Am" path until such information can be conclusively verified. Jut my .02. Brian

Offline ASedan

• No Life
  • Live by the wrench - Die by the checkbook
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 01:50:07 pm »
Brian-
I take it you were addressing the initial subject-line.  The T/A term gets thrown around way too loosely as anything related to road racing.   Its worst mis-application is in magazine articles and TV shows.  In those cases, anything road raced - BP, AP, etc. is all "Trans Am."   Irritating and even sacrilegious to some of us, but I'm getting better at ignoring it.

Offline 70BossTA

• Needs A Job
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »
Brian & All,
To Nick's credit, he just says "SCCA Vintage Road Racer" in his ebay ad.  I think Boss-Stang must have added that "T/A" term when he posting about this Boss.  I saw this Boss for the first time in 1990 and gave Nick the photos I took.  He did a great job putting the car back together as it was in 1990.  I agree it was a dual purpose racer, but it is a true racer, none the less.  Bravo Nick and I hope all you hard work and efforts pay off.  Neat to see a time capsule car like this.  Was able to meet Nick and see the Boss first hand again after 20 years at the Memorial weekend show @ FWH in Dearborn.  Good luck with the sale.

Ed
Current Boss:  0F02G194983
Previously owned: 
SFM5S271  (65 B/P Shelby)
Bud Moore #16 - Peter Gregg 1971 team - SBY)
0F02G157794 (second owner - Grabber Orange)

Offline Nickthefish

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:40:45 pm »
Brian & All,
To Nick's credit, he just says "SCCA Vintage Road Racer" in his ebay ad.  I think Boss-Stang must have added that "T/A" term when he posting about this Boss.  I saw this Boss for the first time in 1990 and gave Nick the photos I took.  He did a great job putting the car back together as it was in 1990.  I agree it was a dual purpose racer, but it is a true racer, none the less.  Bravo Nick and I hope all you hard work and efforts pay off.  Neat to see a time capsule car like this.  Was able to meet Nick and see the Boss first hand again after 20 years at the Memorial weekend show @ FWH in Dearborn.  Good luck with the sale.

Ed

Ed,
Thanks for the compliments. You are correct, when this car was built for racing; it was built for road racing and drag racing. The original owner has seen pictures of the car when we purchased it but it was missing the 70 on the doors. I'm going to contact him again and get more info on when and how it was raced. I will also see if I can get any info on the tracks it was raced at. The Island Dragway Class Winner sticker was the only piece of 'history' that came with the car. I did get a folder with receipts and information regarding Holman & Moody but the only receipt of value were for the ported and polished heads. I do have what I believe to be a Holman & Moody oil pump but it is froze up from sitting. The wheels may have come from them alkso but I do not have a way of telling. They appear to have been widened because the welds are visible.

Thanks,
Nick

Offline Rick67

• Needs A Job
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 06:23:32 pm »
It looks like a very good SCCA club racer type car. I like the lights etc on because you could enduro/night race it with no problem.
It is too bad that the SCCA records are not complete from back in the day this car and many others were raced.
All the more reason to save the grid sheets and finish sheets from both Regional and National races.

anyone have a guess on what the selling price will be???

Wish I had the cash.
Rick

Offline Nickthefish

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 07:44:27 pm »
Nick-
If this thing ran SCCA, it should have a small inspection hole drilled with the logbook number stamped somewhere on the main rollbar hoop.  The shocks would be for road race application, but other normal components, like a panhard are missing.  Doesn't mean it didn't happen.  I know of guys who ran one or two SCCA events with basically stock cars.  It is an interesting piece.

Sorry, but what is a panhard?

Nick

Online BOSS-STANG

• Needs A Job
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 08:19:34 pm »
A Panhard rod (also called Panhard bar or track bar) is a component of a car suspension system that provides lateral location of the axle.