Author Topic: Why the Heck is DNS MADE EASY AD replacing people's signature photos??  (Read 2791 times)

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
Just wondering, am I the only one seeing this?  When I view the Forums, many of the member's signature photos and posted photos (especially from CarDomain) have been removed and replaced by some hackker, with a "DNS MADE EASY By TIGGEE" ad.

I'm seeing this on Bondovian, Richard347 and Joe69 and others.  Is it only on my computer, or is everybody else seeing this.  I had to go into all of my past posts and delete the hacked up img urls, and put back the correct ones.  That would seem to mean someone has hacked into the Website's database and stolen passwords, or has been able to "spoof" an administrator's role.  Anybody else?

I complained to CarDomain (good luck) and the people at DNS MAde Easy.  No replies from either. 

Offline Nitro

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • R.I.P. 12/25/2016
Re: Why the Heck is DNS MADE EASY AD replacing people's signature photos??
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:29:55 pm »
You have a virus or what ever...
Time for a reformat or a new PC...
Nitro.
NITROâ„¢

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:27:48 pm »
That's what I was wondering, but it doesn't come up on two different scans.  Nitro, would you please look at Bondovian's profile page and tell me what his signature photo looks like, when you go there.  I pulled out an old computer that hasn't been on line in a long time, and I still see the ad on  Bondovian's (and others) signatures.

Offline 70cj428

• No Life
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:44:49 pm »
Just FYI, I pulled up Bondovians profile page and i'm seeing it too, please post if you figure this out..... John

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:50:14 pm »
THANKS ! John.  It is also happening over at Vintage Mustang Forums site.  In my case, I reopened my old post and found someone had edited my post and replaced the image with the ad image.  Then, when you go over to CarDomain, where the DNS ad image is supposed to be, it redirects to another site.

I think this is a serious threat, if someone is able to bypass or steal the our passwords and modify our posts etc.

Sorry I forgot to post this in the "off topic" area, but then it needs to be investigated.

Offline mfield2a

• "G" Thing
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:51:06 pm »
Yep, I see it as well:

979A W Code; Saker' up front, Spoiler' in the rear.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 10:21:09 am »
This is a problem with CarDomain, not our messageboard. Bondovian and Richard347 have their signature pics stored at CarDomain. Joe69 does not. Someone has put a redirect script in so that when you ask for a CarDomain image it takes you to the DNS Made Easy image.

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 04:12:15 pm »
I thought that too.  However, when I reopened my old posts on this site, the actual img url had been changed to a different CarDomain url.  When I went to that url,  I was (then) redirected to another CarDomain url.  But the actual post here was changed.

When I then re-edited my old posts here, and put back the original url, everything is working fine for my old posts.  I changed my password here too.  So far, so good.
I'm no computer wiz, so I don't know.  But, if those other members go into their old posts and look at the text, do they find it has been edited?  Mine seems fixed now, without doing anything at CarDomain, so I don't know.  Thanks for looking into it.

-Andy

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 04:59:39 pm »
Which post(s) did you edit?

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:38:55 pm »
I spent an hour or so a few nights ago editing almost every post of mine in this particular thread below, to get my photos back up:

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=35251.15

From what I can tell, my photos on CarDomain still have their original Urls, so he didn't redirect from there.  I complained over there, so maybe they can take his site down there.

Here is what he is putting in my img url here (before I edited it, I saved it):

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2994000-2994999/2994405_6_full.jpg

Then he redirects from his site (quoted above) with this (invisibly)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2994000-2994999/

THIS IS WHERE IT REDIRECTS TO:
http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/images/dmebox.gif

Thanks.

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 05:06:27 pm »
It's starting to look like this has nothing to do with CarDomain at all.  This guy set up a similar looking URL so we would think the problem was at CarDomain. 

He uses this URL: http://memimage.cardomain.net and that is not CarDomain's URL, it's his fake site, (but we assume it's CarDomain because his is picking out members whos photo links are to CarDomain.)  Very clever misdirection on his part.

That would mean he has only edited members profiles or specific posts on the Boss302 Registry (ie. Bondovian's signature, and my specific photo posts).  Maybe I'm wrong, but CarDomain is looking at it too.  I think he just figures out the passwords or something.  If Bondovain edits his profile and puts back his original link to his signature photo (and changes his password) it would prove my point. -Andy

Offline 1F02G100053

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 06:09:31 pm »
After much emailing and screwing around with the people at CarDOmain, it appears the Administrator was correct, and I have gotten them to repair the photos of members rides, linked to their posts here.

This has been like trying to penetrate the heads on Mt. Rushmore.

-Andy