Author Topic: Norwalk Cancelled  (Read 18293 times)

Offline 69blueboss

Norwalk Cancelled
« on: October 29, 2010, 04:22:18 am »
FORDS At The Summit 10/5/2010 
Cancelled for 2011

Weather and a poor economy leads to the cancellation of Fords at the Summit!

A difficult combination to overcome, has caused event management to take Fords at the Summit off the Summit Motorsports Park 2011 event schedule.  Fords at the Summit was added in 2009 as a replacement to the Fun Ford weekend. Fords at the Summit’s goal was to provide an event for Ford Family collector car and motorsport enthusiasts.  A Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Edsel swap meet along with a manufacturer’s midway combined with a drag racing and show vehicle competition was offered. Designed to appeal to the nostalgic and muscle car Ford family of enthusiasts, the show held promise for growth and great potential.  The unfortunate state of the economy along with two years of poor weather created lack of attendance and the ultimate cancellation of the event.

The Bader family along with event manager, Lisa Leathery wishes to thank sponsors, vendors, car show participants and drag racing enthusiasts for their support.  Event sponsors; NPD, Custom Wire Sets and UPR have demonstrated their loyal and continued support to the hobby.  Offering products for performance and cosmetic enhancements, these companies demonstrate their commitment to the continuation of the hobby we all enjoy.  The decision to discontinue Fords at the Summit was a very difficult one. Again, our sincere thanks to those who have shown support.

Offline 69blueboss

Re: Norwalk Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 04:24:49 am »
Might I suggest one of the NMRA meets? There is one here in Columbus on Labor day weekend. Or a Boss only event?

Offline 9F02G196848

• Global Moderator
  • Needs A Job
    • http://www.boss302.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 09:33:14 am »
We've known this for about a month. Lisa was hoping to get another venue lined up before we broke the news. At this point it's not looking good for having anything. Sorry guys.

Randy

Offline 9F02G196848

• Global Moderator
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 10:58:03 am »
Slight chance we could hold something in Michigan area. It would be more of a car show than anything. Would there be any interest in that? It's getting kind of late to be changing things, so if anyone has ideas or even leads, that would be great.

Randy

Offline ex2409pilot

• Needs A Job
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:11:46 am »
Kind of strange they would blame the weather 10 months in the future....

Why doesn't everyone just go to Tulsa? It's about as centrally located as you can get.  I had been trying to make that event for 30+ years and finally went this year only to find a handful of vintage cars. Big disappointment for me. I bet 90% were the new Shelbys. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Sportsroof  - SCJ - W code - 4 speed - project
1970 Ranchero GT - 429 - C6

Offline bobsboss

• No Life
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 03:57:03 pm »
is Traverse City Michigan too far North?...check out visit www.visittraversecity.com...the community thrives on tourism and the area, accommodations and restaurants are, IMO, as good as anywhere in the country...the area counties have spectacular roads for the cars and vistas and early fall colors make Vermont blush...if there is interest, let me know and I will make the first step...check out the website!

Offline kk1940

• No Life
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 10:51:59 pm »
I'll bet something could happen in Carlisle in June again. What would it take for it to happen?
Jerry

Offline 0F02G117160

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 03:48:43 pm »
How about something in the southeast, like Florida?  Any big shows that we could tie into down there?

Tim

Offline 9F02G196848

• Global Moderator
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 08:35:06 am »
I doubt we'd get too many cars coming to Florida. The North East area is where most of the cars and people are. We had 225 BOSS cars show up at Carlisle in 2005. About 40 or so showed up at Tulsa a few years later and about 50 showed up at Knots a year later. Even if you factor in that we had a very exceptional turnout at Carlisle, you could figure 50- 100 cars would have shown up under normal circumstances. The Carlisle idea is good, but I'm sure we're way too late to that party. But good idea.....

Offline Epps

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 11:59:00 am »
I can't see how the Carlisle Ford Show would not work, anyone can sign up and park their show car on site?  The Ford show is nowhere near as big as the Spring and Fall shows. 

Epps
Trying to get her finished for the reunion.

Coyote 5.0
T-56 Trans
TCP Coil Over Up Front
Stock Rear (3:50) Traction Lock, TCP Hardware,  with Sway Bar
American Autowire Electrical

Link to photos:  http://bentmetalcustoms.com/portfolio/1969-ford-mustang-boss-302-fastback/

]

Offline 69BossElim

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 10:05:08 am »
The SAAC usually has a show in Detroit. I'm sure they would welcome us. This last sumer it was at Ford headquarters. Woodward dream cruise could be a option. With Ford bringing the new Boss out they might be open to a reunion in their display at the cruise.

Brian

Offline brit

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 12:59:09 pm »
Boss Nationals were held in Tulsa, Okla back in June, 1999. I don't recall how many Boss cars attended.
It would be cool to have Boss Reunion at a site with a Historic Trans Am event. Not sure but isn't 2011 the 45th anniversary of Trans Am ? Maybe Bossboy has some idea of the 2011 schedule and any event beyond the West Coast.

Offline 0F02G117160

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 07:03:43 pm »
I doubt we'd get too many cars coming to Florida. The North East area is where most of the cars and people are. We had 225 BOSS cars show up at Carlisle in 2005. About 40 or so showed up at Tulsa a few years later and about 50 showed up at Knots a year later. Even if you factor in that we had a very exceptional turnout at Carlisle, you could figure 50- 100 cars would have shown up under normal circumstances. The Carlisle idea is good, but I'm sure we're way too late to that party. But good idea.....

If we always target the place where most of the cars are located and people are, we're always going to be in the north east. 

My vote is simply to spread the opportunities around to different parts of the country.  There are many great shows around the country that would be great places to host our Boss Reunions.

Tim

Offline 9F02G196848

• Global Moderator
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 07:53:37 am »

If we always target the place where most of the cars are located and people are, we're always going to be in the north east. 

My vote is simply to spread the opportunities around to different parts of the country. 

Tim

We did that. Carlisle, Tulsa then Knotts in CA. Now we're back to the Northeast to hopefully start over. The big problem when asking this question is that everyone wants it in their backyard. I happen to live in the Northeast making it easy for me to do an event. I was lucky to have Paul Mueller take care of Tulsa and Mark Brown do Knott's. These 2 guys did a fantastic job of carrying over the 2005 event. Not easy to get somebody to dedicate their lives for a few months to a year to take care of an event like this. That sorta brings me back to the Northeast (NOT making my wife happy as I promised her after 2005 to NOT do any more....)

Still looking at ideas. Stay tuned.

Offline 0F02G117160

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 06:33:12 pm »
I understand "we did that".  I attended all 3 events.  My point is let's keep moving it around.  And FWIW, I'm not suggesting to have it in my backyard.  I enjoy going to places I've never been before, seeing cars i've never seen before, and meeting people I've never met.  Especially when it involves one of the big national events.

Tim