Author Topic: SOLD*SOLD*SOLD Tribute to Trans Am Boss 302 and Ford Hauler For Sale  (Read 6398 times)

Offline Shelbyman92646

Hello everyone.  

I'm new to this forum so if I mess up let me know and I'll correct the issue.   I'm helping a friend of mine take care of the posting details to try and get this one of a kind car and hauler combination sold.   Its quite the set up.  I've ridden in the truck and can say that its quite a ride.   The text is kind of long but I wanted to include enough information so everyone got an idea of how good this recreation really is.  It's been at car shows all over Southern California and has many internet links...some of which I have provided at the end of the listing.   I'm not sure how to post a pic in this box but there are many pictures on my photobucket site listed below.   Take a look and let me know what you think.  Would be nice to sell them together but we will split them up as we realize there are hobbyists that follow both the car and truck.   Asking $145,000 for both and $60,000 for the Ford truck.  What we don't want to do is be left with the truck so if you like the car get your buddy to buy the truck.

Ok now on to the ad text.   Thanks very much for checking this out.  Pass it along to your friends as well.

What’s being offered for sale here is probably the most unique tribute to one of the most exciting racing series in history.   The Trans Am series generated some of the most exciting and competitive racing we have ever seen.   Major car companies were actively involved and hired the very best drivers to pilot these marvelous race cars.      Names that are recognized throughout motorsports history such as  Gurney, Jones, Posey, Follmer, Titus, Revson, Donohue all competed in this highly successful racing series.   But you all know the history.

Being offered for sale is a genuine G code 1970 Boss 302 completely restored as close as possible to replicate the #16 Parnelli Jones Trans Am car.   The car is a nut and bolt restoration.   Found after sitting for 10 years in a barn in Ramona, Ca it was presented to be an original 40K mile Boss 302.  It was represented to have been owned by a Ford dealer from Wisconsin and had some drag racing history.   From the time he saw the car, Les Werling, knew this was one he had to have.   At the start a concour restoration was the plan.  Well as you all know plans do change…as evidenced by what you see here.   So the project to create something very very special began.  From the body being acid dipped to consultations with Brian Ferrin, the current owner of #15, the Follmer sister car to Parnelli’s, every effort was made to get the car very close to the as raced condition of 1970

This Boss 302 still sports it’s original engine block.  The engine was meticulously rebuilt to replicate Trans Am specs by Smokey’s Machine Shop in Oceanside, Ca.    Every effort was made to keep it authentic although some parts and pieces were brought up to date.   The current brake system is Willwood discs front and rear.  It would be an easy job to replace these with the original Lincoln fronts and drum rears.   Les Werling , the builder of this pair of vehicles did as much as possible in the way of research to make this tribute as close as possible to the original.  He had a Bud Moore spec air box fabricated to go atop the Holley 4 barrel sitting on top of an original Bud Moore mini plenum intake manifold.
The drive line consists of a steel scatter shield, Centerforce clutch, and rebuilt original top loader close ratio gearbox.  The rear end is the original Ford 9” locker with 4.11 gearing according to Les.  

To make the project complete Les had to find a Ford C Series tilt cab truck to use as a hauler such as the race teams used to get the cars to the tracks.  And then he had to make it look just like the haulers used back in the day.   After a long search he found one in Pennsylvania and had the 1986 C-800 shipped to the shop here in California.   The truck is a retired fire truck with just 38K miles showing.  The truck bed  was recreated to Trans Am specs by 3W Truck & Equipment Company where the inclined bed, diamond plate and power winch was installed.  This Ford truck had a very nice option…the 634CI Caterpillar diesel V8 engine.  Rated at 210HP and 450-500lb ft of torque it was more than enough to get the job done.  

Both the Boss 302 and the Ford truck are titled, currently registered and street drivable.    The original intent of the current owner, Paul Westberg, was to sell them as a pair.  We thought it would be nice to see them stay together but upon further consideration we are willing to split them up.   This decision was based on all the feedback we have gotten prior to placing an ad that there are Ford truck lovers and Boss 302 lovers…and sometimes they are not part of the same hobby groups.   So let us know which one you are interested in and let’s have a conversation.

Don’t miss this tremendous opportunity to own what could be the best Trans Am tribute on the planet.   Asking price for both is $145,000.    We feel the asking price on the truck should be $60,000.    If you are a serious buyer please give us a call so we can discuss your plans.   My name is Sandy Galbraith (714-330-3059) and I’m helping Paul Westberg manage the listing details.  Paul Westberg is the sole owner and has the final say in all negotiations.    Thanks for your interest.

This is a link to a photobucket page that has a lot of pictures.     http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g405/Shelbyman92646/Tribute%20to%20Trans%20Am/

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:04:21 pm by Shelbyman92646 »
Sandy

Offline KevinR

• Needs A Job
Re: Tribute to Trans Am Boss 302 and Ford Hauler For Sale
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:29:34 pm »
I've had the pleasure of seeing this combo numerous times and have spoken to Les. 
VERY impressive vehicles and best of luck on the sale!
Question regarding the BOSS, has it been run on a track?  If so, to what degree?
Thanks.

Offline Shelbyman92646

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:09:28 pm »

Question regarding the BOSS, has it been run on a track?  If so, to what degree?
Thanks.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on this rig.   The Boss has not been run on the track ever.  To my knowledge Les didn't drive it at all and Paul, the current owner, only drove it to our club's car show on fathers day....maybe 5 miles round trip.
Sandy

Offline bossneeds

• Needs A Job
  • Life's too short, enjoy every minute!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 06:33:29 am »
Amazing combination! The only thing to make this better would be to park it in my driveway.  :)
1966 Tiger M1A 0130
1966 Tiger M1A 1214
1968 Shelby GT500
1970 Shelby GT350
1970 Boss 302
2013 Boss 302 LS #712
Wife still Happy, Really!
Compendium, Boss mugs, and lanyards are official collector items.
Eat WI cheese and bratwurst!

Offline Shelbyman92646

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:46:53 pm »
Amazing combination! The only thing to make this better would be to park it in my driveway.  :)

Well don't be shy....we are seriously considering all offers....it could be in your driveway!!! ;D
Sandy

Offline dean_acheson

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 06:52:19 pm »
http://bringatrailer.com/2011/07/02/1970-boss-302-trans-am-tribute-and-period-ford-hauler/

I forwarded this on to bringatrailer the other day... I hope that that was ok.

Offline Shelbyman92646

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:33:43 am »
Hi Dean...    Thanks for sending it along to BAT.   Love to see the comments its getting on there...very interesting.
Sandy

Offline Shelbyman92646

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:11:09 pm »

Wanted to let everyone know that this car and truck has been sold.   Going to a new home in the Midwest...Kansas I believe.    Also wanted to thank everyone for stopping by to take a look at it and those that posted comments.   I appreciate it very much.
Sandy