Author Topic: '70 Boss 302 for sale  (Read 2670 times)

Offline brucez

'70 Boss 302 for sale
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:21:27 am »

FOR SALE: 1970 BOSS 302  OFO2G168702

Extremely rare, special order paint color.
ASA appraisal, Jan 2011.
Front & rear spoilers, slats.
3.50 Traction Lok.
Magnum 500's.
Power steering/brakes.
Fold down rear seat.
Shaker.
Upgrade interior with clock, etc.
Factory 8 track/radio stereo system.
Marti report.

Car is untouched original except for new front seats & crash pad. Very solid, no rattles, squeaks. No rust. Drives very well.

I'm the 4th owner. It was delivered to Spokane, Wash, then to Montana, then Denver, where I am. The 2nd owner repainted it to yellow. At purchase the original owner told the 2nd that it was ordered with a Lincoln color. I'd gotten a Marti report a long time ago and then sent paint chips in but could only get little pieces the size of a pencil lead. The report came back stating it was Light Gray Metallic, which didn't sound right to me, but that was the judgement. When I had it repainted to original in 2006 the restorer and I, once body panels were off, both agreed it wasn't gray. So we matched the orig that was under there. Now that I've decided to sell I went 3 weeks ago to a paint depot where they had old, loose leaf notebooks with the rectangular paint samples. I couldn't find a match under Mustang so out of curiosity looked into Lincoln and wow, there it was: 1970 Lincoln Medium Aqua Poly. To confirm this I've just sent more samples to Marti and expect to have a report back next week. If it's the Lincoln color it should be an extremely rare Boss of that color. In any case, it is a rare paint.

The imperfections:

Incorrect carburetor and distributor.
Shaker not original to car.
May be a replacement block; I can't see a block number on the flat place back by the firewall. Maybe I need to get a mirror and/or
   crane my neck into an unnatural position?
There are a few minor chips on paint in the usual places - hood and door edges.
The front bumper has a small scratch on top, just off center.

The engine and trunk compartments are not restored but in good shape.

Other, positive things:

I have an original, working rev limiter; replacement smog system, still in box with pump, pulleys, hoses, snorkel, etc.
Also, car's original dealer sheet; original owner's manual, perfect; Don Farr Boss 302 book, very, very good; two different versions
    of original dealer's brochures, also very good; oil and amp gauges with housing, good. I was told the gauges work but can't confirm
    this; center console, just fair; about 3 dozen 8 track tapes. The tape player sounds a bit slow sometimes. I imagine it needs a lube
    or conditioning. Or, it may be the old tapes.

The ASA appraisal came in at $52,000. That number did not include the rev limiter or smog system because they aren't on the car. It also did not include the rare paint color because he had no comparables.

Considering the above I feel $52,000 is a fair price for my Boss.

Please don't inundate me with offers for the rev limiter, Farr book, etc. as I am going to see how the sale goes. Thanks for that....

I've represented the car as best and truthfully as I can. Further questions? Fire away. I'm going to try to attach a few photos but if that doesn't happen and you're a serious buyer I will happily send pics.

Offline ex2409pilot

• No Life
Re: '70 Boss 302 for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:57:04 pm »
Good luck with the sale of your car. Here is the Lincoln color chart. Bet you might have a 1 of 1 car with that color.

http://www.mercurystuff.com/1970_lincoln_colors.php
1970 BOSS 302 - Yellow/Black Deluxe - W code/Detroit Locker
1970 Sportsroof - Yellow/Black Std - Q/SCJ/W code/4speed 
2014 Shelby GT500 - White/Black stripes - SVT Performance Package

Offline CCBossMan

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 01:33:55 pm »
Would be a pretty cool color to see on a Boss, and also good luck with the sale.  Just a quick comment regarding your ad, as this forum has an incredible amount of knowledge (and anal retentive people) on it.  The beginning of your ad says the car is "untouched original except front seats and crash pad".  Then you describe how it's had multiple repaints, an incorrect shaker, incorrect distributor and carb, maybe a replacement engine etc......and it gets one to thinking about what is untouched and original?  Again, would be neat to see pics and good luck with the sale.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:43:05 am by CCBossMan »

Offline sportyworty

• No Life
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 10:42:30 pm »
"To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research."

Offline mwizz

• No Life
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:38:29 pm »
Hard to get an appreciation of the color from the craiglist pic but looks like a nice car
1970 Mustang Boss 302
1966 Mustang GT Convertible

Offline Boss302Fan

• No Life
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 11:09:03 am »
Would be a pretty cool color to see on a Boss, and also good luck with the sale.  Just a quick comment regarding your ad, as this forum has an incredible amount of knowledge (and anal retentive people) on it.  The beginning of your ad says the car is "untouched original except front seats and crash pad".  Then you describe how it's had multiple repaints, an incorrect shaker, incorrect distributor and carb, maybe a replacement engine etc......and it gets one to thinking about what is untouched and original?  Again, would be neat to see pics and good luck with the sale.

Photos? I agree with the above, BUT, how original is it? Original block, carbs, distr, etc are missing. Repainted... Anyways, good luck with your sale.