Author Topic: 70 B2 dizzy on e-bay  (Read 10269 times)

Offline DUSTMAN69

70 B2 dizzy on e-bay
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:04:41 pm »
What do you guys think of this one on e-bay. # 221032906386

Offline CaBossFan

• Needs A Job
Re: 70 B2 dizzy on e-bay
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:43:33 pm »
According to a previous Discussion Topic, the primary wire on the distributor being sold on eBay item #221032906386 is not correct for a Boss 302:

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=46198.0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-distributor-original-no-reserve-/221032906386?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3376967e92&vxp=mtr

The 2011 Registry has a section on Boss 302 distributors on page 250.

Offline DUSTMAN69

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:19:11 pm »
Yeah, and the other 1 he's selling is the same.

Offline brightgoldboss

• No Life
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:42:11 pm »
     I looked at my dissy  &  hole is up close to the vac. adv.
                    YEA !                                                           Jim

Offline daveb9

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 06:25:40 pm »
Both of these distributors for sale are mine. They both have the same part numbers but the wire exit is in a different place on each one. I did not realize there was a difference when I listed it for sale on EBay. I will correct the info on the auction if that is absolutely the only way they came. To hold it in your hand and look at it you would never guess the numbers had been changed. I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this site but people can be wrong. Is there any other way to tell if it is correct or not? I do not want to misrepresent it either way. Any help is appreciated.

Dave

Offline bosscougars

• Needs A Job
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 08:15:38 pm »
This one seems to be the correct one with the wrong parts as listed.

Boss 302 distributor

Offline timsa49erfan

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 12:11:01 pm »
This is not specifically addressed at the 2 distributors on ebay at this time, but rather to the notion/belief that a particular distributor isnt correct for a boss 302 just because it has the hole for the wire in a slightly different spot. 

Keep in mind that Ford had lots of variations in production and at times used different vendors and variations in production were common and THAT is something that only a fool would dispute, So why not in this case?  Just because a particular person started a thread and made it an issue and conviced some folks he was correct.  I don't buy it and frankly neither did the distributor builder I talked to that rebuilt one of each for me.  Please no names metioned to avoid the drama, but I will say he is the person who used to rebuild distributors for NPD and many high level restoration shops across the country.  The day I was there he was working for some for a well known restorer in Wisconsin. 

I personally have seen and worked on original B2 cars with original distributors that had the hole further away from the advance as mentioned.  I recall this issue/debate when it was started a couple years ago and IMHO, and again I dont buy it.  If you choose to believe it, thats your choice. 

When the part numbers on the distributors are correct and unaltered and if the rest of the distributor is correct, such as the X12 and dual points then who is to say its not a boss?  Who is to say that both types were not installed? 

Again, there are far too many production variances coming out of Ford, even between the different plants such as Dearborn and N.J to say that there was a hard core standard by which all cars and parts were built. 
08 Shelby GT500 Conv
02 F150 Harley Davidson
70 Shelby GT350
70 Boss 302
69 boss 302 sold :-(
70 GT Ranchero 429 SCJ
69 R code Mach 1
67 Shelby clone 427 FE
65 fastback A code

Offline Licorice

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 04:20:55 pm »
My take on all the parts is you get some who say it all and feel they re all knowing. Parts are parts as long as the numbers are not messed with is good to go.

Offline McKeever

• Needs A Job
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:21:24 pm »
Love to hear 10w30dna's Tim O'conners take on this..
As a Ford tech I'd bet he's seen more distributors than any of us.
Owned my BOSS since March 1974.
0F02G154740 Dearborn 1-16-70
Honesty is doing the right thing with a witness.
Integrity is doing the right thing without one.
The finish line seems ever distant.

Offline daveb9

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:23:57 pm »
Love to hear 10w30dna's Tim O'conners take on this..
As a Ford tech I'd bet he's seen more distributors than any of us.
Click on the link above and read it. I am sure that is why it was posted.

Offline McKeever

• Needs A Job
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 07:31:05 pm »
Thanks,
I've read the link.

Was just hoping he could convince the doubter's, or revisionist's as they are sometimes called.
From Webster's " Revisionist"  a person who revises or favors the revision of, some accepted theory, doctrine, ect.
More and more showing up here.

Your effort to be honest is appreacited.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:43:52 pm by McKeever »

Offline McKeever

• Needs A Job
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 07:31:24 pm »
Upon further thought..
I thought the Only manufactuer of Ford distributors was Autolite (original) or Motorcraft (service replacement). Disputes your "lots of vendors theory".
So your vendor variation doesn't hold up with me. As the numbers between the 2 are well documented,  they may not be the same, they are documented none the less.

And you fail to state where the hole was on that distributor that was being worked on by that Wisconsin restorer.

While NPD makes some good parts, many of us here know that some are good an others not so good.
Call me the Fool, sorry I dont agree with your take.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:37:30 pm by McKeever »

Offline bosscougars

• Needs A Job
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »
McKeever---You are absolutely right and the wire hole location must be close to the clip for the distributor to be correct. There is another bogus one on eBay right now. A post has been made about it.

Boss 302 registry distributor description

Offline shotgun

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 06:11:21 am »
So what is the incorrect one for?
My car has the "correct" one, just curious?

Mike

Offline 10w30dna

• www.428cobrajetcars.homestead.com
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 05:38:28 am »
Just thought I would share my thoughts on this again........bogus Boss 302 distributors are not new , by any means. I started in Ford dealers in '66 and worked as a hands on Ford dealer tech for 43 years after that. I never saw a real Boss 302 distributor with the primary wire hole located in the standard 302 location. Never. There is an actual reason for the relocation of that hole. Ford engineers know what they build. It is not a bunch of backyard hot rodders that designed and built those cars.In fact, it was one of Henry Ford's successes to build "mass produced" cars by making each piece very accurately/precisely. Before that was accomplished many builders hand fit each part which caused serious delays in production and difficulty in getting replacement parts. Mass production lead to accuracy , not all the fumbling/bumbling some claim. All the funny stories about why a certain car has the wrong parts installed and "proof", based on doubt of facts,abound. You have seen them for years.......Thermactor delete , '70 hood on a '69 ,missing govenor on '70, HiPo 289 distributor ,wrong exhaust,wrong trans, wrong antenna, non-Carlite glass,wrong carburetor, wrong wiring ,etc,etc,etc. Many owners are simply repeating what they believe to be true. They were not aware of the changes made or were told by the seller it was authentic. Not a new game,at all. As the years go by the truth will become diluted by all the fictitious parts and stories and many future owners will be swearing on Bibles that all these phony parts are real. I have one of Mike Gehly's "masterpieces" in my shop now that one of our members got stung with. He filled the original/standard , hole and re-drilled the hole in correct location,restamped the numbers,installed narrow band advance that he stamped X12 and painted the band gold, and painted the distributor silver to try and hide all the evidence. He is not the only seller of bogus parts , just one of many. So don't fall for the stories of how inaccurate Ford was when building cars. The cars were well engineered and built very accurately. After that, is when the issues/questions of authenticity begins. Look closely at the high quality, documented,original cars that exist to this day. Buyer beware. I don't want to seem mean ,but there is no Santa Claus and people lie....... and we have seen pictures of Santa  ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:40:43 am by 10w30dna »