Author Topic: Can I rebuild my Original Hurst Shifter ?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Boss980

• No Life
    • My 70B2
Can I rebuild my Original Hurst Shifter ?
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:12:21 am »
I have opted to take on the rebuild of my 70B2 Toploaded but the first thing is to remove the shifter and need your help with a few questions
I believe it to be original, it’s a COMPETITION PLUS Hurst Shifter with the numbers 3216274 on it.

1) What’s all involved in the rebuilding of this shifter ? Inspection, order replacement parts then reassemble ?

2) I was told that if I remove the bolts holding the shifter to the transmission that it will be heck to reassemble it indicating it was some kind of a puzzle to get back together.  Is this something I should be concerned with ?

3) In reading past post It should have a retaining plate (Shifter Preloader) ? That they can be commonly missing
But I’m not sure what it looks like and if this one has one ? 

Yes from reading the Post “Hurst Rebuild kit” I see that BREWER PERFORMANCE has the parts needed but no actual kit
Looks like David Keys also says he is a “One Stop Shop” I have not contacted him about a kit though

NPD is showing,
Mounting Kit 7285-3AK
Shifter Bushings 7341-4
Shifter mounting kit 7400-4AK

4) Has anyone purchased these parts from NPD ? Are these the parts I need to make up a Kit ?
Past post say I’m looking for Press in Bushing for the 70B2 original shifter I assume this is what NPD has ?

Thank you for any advice

Boss980

Offline randy

• No Life
    • http://www.bossman-motorsports.com
Re: Can I rebuild my Original Hurst Shifter ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:16:40 am »
before you do ANYTHING with that shifter, contact Mark at www.toploaderheaven.com.  He has been in the business as well as the hobby for a LONG time and is one of THE most knowledgable guys to talk to on the subject.  I remember the original Hurst rebuild kits contained, among other pieces, new shims that are intstalled between the shifter arms.  Give Mark a call - you'll be glad you did.....

randy

1970 W code Boss 302
2009 GT500   SOLD
2002 WS6 Trans Am Convertible
1999 Camaro SS 6 speed
1997 LT1 Firebird Formula 6 speed
1996 Firebird V6 5 speed     SOLD
1970 Boss clone convert
1969 Mustang convert
1970 H-code Mach 1
1969 M-code Mach 1    SOLD
1970 F-code fastback
1969 H-code coupe      SOLD
1965 C-code fastback (X-tremestang)

Offline RadBOSS

• Needs A Job
  • A/S Solo I RIR Turn 6, 1973-4
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:10:00 pm »
Hurst does not (seem to) market the 'complete' kits (guts for the shifter mechanism,  though they make them for thier own purposes).

I contacted Brewers Performance (they bleed MOPAR,  but they seem like okay people despite that).  The have the kits for the CompPlus mechanism and confirmed to me its all Hurst origin except for the selector pin and pivot bolt which they source American made.  Better part of $100.00 for the kit.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:41:50 pm by RadBOSS »

69 BOSS - original owner
87 Merkur Xr4Ti (with Sierra Cosworth body kit)
91 Craftsman XL1000 riding lawn mower :-)
03 Volvo S60
05 Mustang GT
08 Cadillac CTS 4
12 GMC Yukon XL

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. " - Will Rogers

Offline Fairlane514

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:19:08 pm »
I have rebuilt several............they aren't that hard to do. Just pay attention while disassembling it as to where the shims go and orientation. I had to weld the "fork" on one but that was the worst so far.
63 Fairlane big block
76 Bronco 347 3 speed
70 Boss 302
65 GTO tripower/4 speed

Offline noboss

• True BOSS 302 Exhange Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 08:45:41 pm »
The bushings are still available from Ford , the part number is: number E0SZ-7341-B , they come three to a package.

I have used these guys twice ad liked the work they did , they are Mopars Boys but Mopars had Factory Hurst Shifters in them.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?id=9

Back in the Day

Offline Boss980

• No Life
    • My 70B2
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:07:11 am »
3) In reading past post It should have a retaining plate (Shifter Preloader) ? That they can be commonly missing
But I’m not sure what it looks like and if this one has one ? 

What about this Retaining plate ? Does it look like the shifter pictured above is complete ? 

Thanks for your help
Boss980

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:33:32 am »
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=58189.msg378363#msg378363toploader rebuild
Here is an article I did earlier in the year. Note Mark at Toploader Heaven not only has transmission and shifter  parts, he also has a CD with illustrations and tips for both the shifter and transmission. Have you called him yet?

http://www.toploaderheaven.com/default.html
So I am finally working on the 1970 Boss 302 motor it just hasn't been happy since the valve dropped in the stroked Windsor.

Offline Fairlane514

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:54 am »
The shifter pictured has the retain plate with the reverse light switch hole, so its good as far as thats concerned.
63 Fairlane big block
76 Bronco 347 3 speed
70 Boss 302
65 GTO tripower/4 speed

Offline Boss980

• No Life
    • My 70B2
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 02:34:06 pm »
The bushings are still available from Ford , the part number is: number E0SZ-7341-B , they come three to a package.

I Called Mark at Toploader Heaven and purchased the Kit W/CD that has illustrations and tips for both the shifter and transmission
For the Shifter it looks like the only thing I need is the bushings but will know more when it's disasembled
Thanks all for your help
Boss980

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 05:24:29 pm »
Good Job Mark has the best customer service in the transmission business.
John
So I am finally working on the 1970 Boss 302 motor it just hasn't been happy since the valve dropped in the stroked Windsor.

Offline RadBOSS

• Needs A Job
  • A/S Solo I RIR Turn 6, 1973-4
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 06:00:43 pm »
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=58189.msg378363#msg378363toploader rebuild
Here is an article I did earlier in the year. Note Mark at Toploader Heaven not only has transmission and shifter  parts, he also has a CD with illustrations and tips for both the shifter and transmission. Have you called him yet?

I don't see on thier web site where they are offering a 'complete' rebuild kit for the compplus shifter mechanism.

69 BOSS - original owner
87 Merkur Xr4Ti (with Sierra Cosworth body kit)
91 Craftsman XL1000 riding lawn mower :-)
03 Volvo S60
05 Mustang GT
08 Cadillac CTS 4
12 GMC Yukon XL

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. " - Will Rogers

Offline Boss980

• No Life
    • My 70B2
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 07:28:33 pm »

I don't see on thier web site where they are offering a 'complete' rebuild kit for the compplus shifter mechanism.

I got the impression from Mark that there’s not a kit per say that unless the shifter has been abused that’s it more of a matter of Cleaning , Inspecting, then replacing the needed parts then resembling.
Luckily mine was more dirty from setting around then from being abused

Boss980

Offline j beath

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 05:17:20 pm »
Be aware that the reverse shift bushing is a different size than all of the others. I don't recall if it is on the shifter base or the other end. I removed all of them from before finding out that there is no replacement available in that size. Call our man at Toploader and he"ll confirm which one for sure. In hindsight I would have kept the old one in since it wasn't that sloppy.  Jack

Offline Bossssssss

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 08:30:21 pm »
I did my own and replated it with clear zinc. The hardest part was the lower spring but it was not that hard. Do yourself a favor and take plenty of digital photo's as you disassemble each item from it (take pics from several angles). I also drew out a 'schematic' so I knew exactly how to put it back. Got it 100% correct the first time I re-assembled.
I replaced the main pin (even though mine was good)that I got from ebay handle 'motorcitysupercars' - he stll sells them (they are case hardened like the originals). His are a few thouands larger OD so it will take up any slop your main bracket may have developed (mine only has 39K orig miles worth of shifting - but the factory pins were not a perfect fit part and they wanted the shifter to be easy to assemble at the factory - so some 'looseness' helped in the assembly process.

He also has shims but I do not think mine were all the same as what he sells - mine were perfect so I did not need to replace. 

Another ebayer 'Hurst-Shifters' sells a ton of other parts for them. I do not believe Hurst sells an entire kit and definetly not a schematic as they want you to send it to them for rebuild.

There is also a Pontiac guy out there that rebuilds them ( Ihave his name somewhere), but his price was only slightly less than what Hurst wants.

If you are mechanically inclined or just like puzzles, do it yourself - it will be easy and gratifying - not to mention a lot cheaper.

Offline app01

• Custom car showboards
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 10:44:07 am »
Bossssssss, who did the zinc plating for you?
Build Pics:
http://www.palmiericoncepts.com/My-Mustangs/1970-Boss-302/1970Boss302.htm
Boss 460 Build- http://www.palmiericoncepts.com/My-Mustangs/1970build/Final-Build.htm

Currently own:
1970 Boss 302 - Yellow- May 1970, Dearborn
1970 Mach 1 w/ Ford Racing Boss 460ci
1962 Corvette Convertible 327/340hp

Previously Owned:
1967 Mustang Convertible (My 1st car)
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT- New, daily driver
1969 Mach 1 (<29k miles, Unrestored, MCA Gold)-sold in 2012

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com