Author Topic: STARTER SOLENOID REFERENCE  (Read 2841 times)

Offline shelbyboss302

STARTER SOLENOID REFERENCE
« on: November 26, 2012, 01:59:19 pm »
Thought I would post some detailed close up pictures of a NOS assembly line Dearborn Starter Solenoid. Ford part number B6AZ-11450-A SW-3. These were found on the Dearborn 1970 Boss 302’s but not sure what solenoids were used at other factories. I think the 69's used a round heavy duty type solenoid. I really get pissed when I am browsing ebay and see some sellers putting knock-offs in original Autolite boxes and charging a premium to unsuspecting and uneducated buyers. These original solenoids are very very hard to find and when you do find one, you will pay premium price because of their rarity. Hopefully this post will educate some people that are just getting into the hobby and others just as a guide line to compare differences. Please chime in if you can add any info.

Shelby

NOS SOLENOID

AUTOLITE BOX

PART NUMBER STAMPS

C7AF-11450-A1

ROUND STAMP

ROUND STAMP

BREATHER

TERMINALS

CAD AND ZINC DICHROMATE HARDWARE CRUSHED WASHER

RIVET TOP

RIVET BOTTOM

RED PAINT DAUB

DATE CODE

DATE CODE CLOSE UP 9LA

20,000 ORIGINAL MILE SOLENOID

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:23:40 pm by shelbyboss302 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Needs A Job
    • ConcoursMustang.Com
Re: STARTER SOLENOID REFERENCE
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 06:40:02 pm »
Would only add that the round depressions around the two spots on the top bracket are not typical but a result of the worker assembling the relay having the pressure higher than normal. When this happens the round depression that is designed to hold the plastic case slightly away from the bracket gets punched out rather than formed as designed. The is a design feature you can see on relays from back into the early 60's

Do have a few examples of ones like what is shown that are original, so don't discount them for that detail, but IMHO don't use that as a detail that must be there. Still find a fair number of used ones in yards.

Thanks for posting

Offline shelbyboss302

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 08:24:59 pm »
"Would only add that the round depressions around the two spots on the top bracket are not typical but a result of the worker assembling the relay having the pressure higher than normal. When this happens the round depression that is designed to hold the plastic case slightly away from the bracket gets punched out rather than formed as designed. The is a design feature you can see on relays from back into the early 60's

Do have a few examples of ones like what is shown that are original, so don't discount them for that detail, but IMHO don't use that as a detail that must be there. Still find a fair number of used ones in yards.

Thanks for posting"

I think my point of posting was just to show some details of the originals. I have seen some on ebay in the Autolite box that had no breathers, no date codes, clear zinc terminals, not even close stamp fonts, wrong rivets and incorrect hardware. Someone put a knock off in the original box and wanted $299.00. When I questioned them about the part, I never got a reply. Most original ones I have seen, would match the last picture I have posted as I agree with Jeff that someone got a little carried away with to much pressure in the press. Still a neat detail. Now I know why people are selling and buying empty Autolite boxes on Ebay.

Shelby

Offline epresher

• No Life
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 06:18:30 am »
An excellent thread.  Thanks for your effort. 

Offline 69MustangMike

• Needs A Job
    • Infrared & Mold Inspections
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:40:51 am »
Yes again thanks for pics & description and your time & effort- Im glad their are pepole like you that get pissed off and educate others on Original vs repo parts-thks much !!!

69 Calypso Corral B302
1970 Grabber Blue B302
1974 GTS Pantera
1970 Challenger R/T
1968 Charger R/T
1969 B302- brother of cc Boss above VIN 216
87 Conv Mustang 5.0
89 Hatchback 5.0
1970 B302 Cougar Eliminator matching #s

"I'm feeling fine in both my 69's"