Author Topic: 1970 Boss 302 Engine and 4-Speed Transmission Wanted For Purchase!!  (Read 559 times)

Offline 13snoopy

I have owned a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang since 1978. A past owner blew the engine and the original transmission was sold, so I need to purchase a 1970 Bos 302 engine and four-speed tranny.
Am located in Virginia but can travel anywhere to look and purchase. I am not a tire-kicker. I'm getting old and want to restore this car before I croak.
Please call Mark at 434-841-8405 if you have these items or know where I can buy them. Will gladly pay a finder's fee if that's what it takes. I am very serious and want to buy NOW. Thank you.
Regards,
Mark

Offline AK 69Boss

Re: 1970 Boss 302 Engine and 4-Speed Transmission Wanted For Purchase!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:07:50 am »
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=61158.0;topicseen

I think guyman on the forum has one for sale........

Offline RadBOSS

• True BOSS 302 Exhange Enthusiast
  • A/S Solo I RIR Turn 6, 1973-4
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:16:37 pm »
I do believe the top loader in a BOSS  302 is not necessarily BOSS specific (common with 302-4V or 351-4V by the looks of it in the MPC) unless you are going numbers matching and looking for the one with your VIN number stamped on it. Or you just want to spend more money on a top loader that is represented from one.  In your case,  you mainly need to decide on wide ratio or close ratio  (RUG-AV1 or RUG AW1).

David Kee in TX can sell you a 100% brand new one,  steel or aluminum case and tail shaft,  or buy a used one from someone and hope its okay.

69 BOSS - original owner
87 Merkur Xr4Ti (with Sierra Cosworth body kit)
91 Craftsman XL1000 riding lawn mower :-)
03 Volvo S60
05 Mustang GT
08 Cadillac CTS 4
12 GMC Yukon XL

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. " - Will Rogers

Offline pcunder

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 06:50:38 pm »
If you don't need 1 with the correct tag or serial #, then I have a completely rebuilt close ratio toploader that David Kee built for me. I live in the same town where he lives, San Antonio. (Lucky for me because I have all 4-spd cars)

I had this Trans in my 66 GT for a while (as its orig unit was being rebuilt) and had him fully rebuild it for my 69 Boss a couple years ago. In the mean time, I found a #s matching one (tag) while imy 69 sat in the body shop...

As RadBoss mentioned, he offers virtually everything new, used, or improved... and never cuts corners. On this one, the tail shaft is his casting (DKT) which has 2 improvements over the OEM Ford unit; venting as many racers added and the later style rear support (side-by-side vs inline font->back). This mounting design employs a different rubber/rear insulator that Ford used after '71 or so and on many A/Ts. I was going to use 'poly' mounts ( on engine mounts too) as the side-side one is the only 1 available like that which I could find. This is why I went with this tail shaft.

I think i have $1800 in this one. (memory fades) To get one like it will cost you $2k, easy... You can have it for $1500 + ship. I'll dig up the receipt if interested and get you a copy &/or pics. I even have a cool trans container for shipping that can be used if you return it afterward.

The main case is OEM Ford and has the orig serial # stamped into it from 67 or 68 and the tag (RUG-G) says it was from a 390 GT Mustang. So this is a fully functional, ready to bolt-in Boss 302 equivalent...  There will be no problems nor will there be any excuses. It will perform like the 'bullet-proof' 4-speed that Ford over-engineered it to be. (The 390 input shaft is slightly different than the 302 and so it was also replaced during the rebuild.)

Let me know,

Phil
512-917-2957
javascript:maxwin()

Offline bossneeds

• Needs A Job
  • Life's too short, enjoy every minute!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:43:41 pm »
Welcome to the greatest Boss site in the world! Just to give you an idea of what you might have to spend for a motor and tranny.
I just had a spare Boss 302 motor rebuilt and dyno run. Mostly stock and made 380 hp at 6500. I have just over 10K in the motor. I have an extra trans I am rebuilding, and that is going to be at just under $2k for everything. So there is $12K and I had the distributor, correct carb, and all of the other high dollar parts. I think you will find what you need here and should be able to purchase them for under what I have in mine. You might need a shifter as well. My motor was rebuilt when I purchased it 10 years ago, and thankfully the motor guy I was sent to here in WI found some wrong parts. Buyer beware...and good luck. Most of the people on this site are pretty good but it never hurts to ask for a reference.
1966 Tiger M1A 0130
1966 Tiger M1A 1214
1968 Shelby GT500
1970 Shelby GT350
1970 Boss 302
2013 Boss 302 LS #712
Wife still Happy, Really!
Compendium, Boss mugs, and lanyards are official collector items.
Eat WI cheese and bratwurst!