Author Topic: Boss 351 Mustangs  (Read 3561 times)

Offline 9F02G196828

• Needs A Job
    • http://www.1969boss302.com/
Boss 351 Mustangs
« on: January 15, 2004, 08:57:19 pm »
The Boss 351 forum is very cool. The production #'s were comparable to the '69 Boss 302. The fact that the 351 was the fastest Boss ever produced more than justifies its presence here on the registry. Long live ALL Boss Mustangs.
Got my '69 'project' in '02. A wife and 3 kids later....I'm still turning wrenches.

Offline CaliforniaBoy5

boss 351 mustangs
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 10:11:20 pm »
Serious, i saw one down this one 351 down a street near me, yeah.

Offline JoeMamma

• Cool Newbie
boss 351 mustangs
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 04:28:27 pm »
I have read that Boss 351's were the fastest on a few websites, and wonder why the Boss 429 didn't own that title...couldn't hook up?

On a somewhat related topic: does anyone know the "real" HP of the Boss 351? 330 seems very modest.
8 White/Black GT ConVORTible
71 Grabber Yellow Boss 351

Offline TimBoss351

• Cool Newbie
Who knows for sure?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 07:57:20 am »
But I have heard that since there was a flaw with the carb, that you could put a Holley double pumper on the engine and get 400 hp immediatly.  I have also heard that Pony Carbs in NY know how to fix the original carb, and have been told (by someone who had it done) that it runs so much better than stock after it has the flaw fixed.

I have a friend that rebuild custom ford engines, and he may do my engine, so he has been asking around for 351 tips.  Apparently there are some Pantera guys here in Denver, and they specialize in the Clevelands, and they told him a stroker crank, "Port Plates", and a good carb will get you 475 /475 easy.  Now I am not sure how easy it will be to keep cool, but I am not boring mine out, so that should help (my engine guy will only take it out as much as it needs, and then get custom pistons made).

Offline JoeMamma

• Cool Newbie
Denver?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 08:57:22 am »
I, too, am in Denver. Please keep me posted on your engine shop choice and outcome!!

Offline TimBoss351

• Cool Newbie
I talked to Doug last night.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 09:14:11 am »
He is checking into a stroker crank / h-beam rods / custom pistons combo price for my engine next week or so.  He works with me at UAL, but also builds engines on the side.  I know that he said he has 3 302's, or 3 Boss 302 engines to build this year, so I may just be gathering parts right now.  I know he had a stroked 302, I beleive he said it was a 331, that he built for a guy here that was putting out 400 hp, and revved over 7500.  He also built engine for Cox, and Mike Dodge, although I think Mike's engine was a 428.  Doug has a Boss 302 and is building a Boss 302 shell into a trans am car.  he likes to race, but had one of Bodine's late 80's NASCAR T-Birds, but it was a superspeedway car, and to drap it out to a good fast track took too many days, and too much money, so he sold it, and is building the Trans Am car to go on shorter, twisty tracks around here.

BTW, I am in Castle Rock, if you ever want to come over and bullshyt about Boss 351s.

Offline JoeMamma

• Cool Newbie
boss 351 mustangs
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 10:11:34 am »
Thanks for the feedback!

My B351 is running, and in pretty good shape. A good "twenty footer". I've got new upholstery, carpet and headliner for the interior, and she will be needing new paint when I get to that point. As far as the engine goes, it has 66K on the clock (original owner says it's accurate), but I will be doing a refresh, valves and seats, and blueprint the block sometime in the future. My brother thinks I should go with a small roller instead of trying to track down a replacement cam with the original specs. Still on the fence on that one.

I'm in Aurora. We should hook up sometime when this spring!

Offline TimBoss351

• Cool Newbie
Where you up at the Rocky Mountain Roundup..
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 05:18:19 am »
2 years ago?  There was a nice yellow Boss 351, but it was not repainted.  I beleive the owner had a beard, and was with two of his boys (I need to look at the pictures; I took some during the show, and some while the Bosses were driving off from the show).

Offline JoeMamma

• Cool Newbie
Wasn't me!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 09:17:47 am »
I just got my B351 from Tennessee (although she was purchased here, when the original purchaser was stationed at Ft. Carson).

Besides, I just have a daughter, and she has her own 66 coupe...;^)