Author Topic: Ford DOZX T/A Brake option  (Read 587 times)

Offline skip70

Ford DOZX T/A Brake option
« on: October 24, 2013, 12:30:58 am »
I have a Question, the answer to which is important to our sanctioning body. Was it possible and if yes, (have you seen a Mart Report or similar to prove it) to order and have fitted on the assembly line the Ford DOZX T/A brake package?

The difference between a production line option and a dealer fitted option is a BIG DEAL to them and may negate the use of them.

Does anyone know for sure?

many thanks.

Offline MarkIV

Re: Ford DOZX T/A Brake option
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 04:21:51 am »
In a word, no.

The TA brake option does not have a parking brake so was it not road legal plus Ford looked at all Federal Safety items as "critical". Look at the notations in the assembly manuals for item relating to safety certification.

I don't doubt someone, somewhere is selling a car with "factory four wheel discs" but it wasn't the Ford factory!

Offline MichaelSedlak

• No Life
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:52:04 am »
Not that I have ever seen.  Simply was not an option, dealer installed maybe with the kit.

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 06:39:48 am »
The kit was homologated by the SCCA but was not a factory installed option as has been stated. Which sanctioning group do you have?
So I am finally working on the 1970 Boss 302 motor it just hasn't been happy since the valve dropped in the stroked Windsor.

Offline 70BossTA

• Needs A Job
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 06:55:41 am »
Skip,
            I agree with all of the above, factory optional NO, dealer YES!  Now those of you who may know about brand "X",  I have heard both stories on the Z/28 rear disc brake kits, some factory, some it was in the trunk and was then dealer installed.
I know that the Ford kits were both FIA and SCCA legal for Mustangs and I have that paperwork to prove that is was a legal change.  Seems odd that a period correct Mustang racer would not be "legal" in the vintage world.  Someone had better look at the facts from back then and realize they are WRONG!!!  IMO, correct the rules....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:46:32 pm by 70BossTA »
Current Boss:  0F02G194983
Previously owned: 
SFM5S271  (65 B/P Shelby)
Bud Moore #16 - Peter Gregg 1971 team - SBY)
0F02G157794 (second owner - Grabber Orange)

Offline MichaelSedlak

• No Life
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 08:52:12 am »
As with Ed I have original stamped copies of the FIA papers and the SCCA papers for rear disc brakes for 68, 69 and 70.  There is a lot of documentation to prove this and photos in magazines of the period to prove it as well.  One that has always proved useful was the Hot Rod year in review magazine which shows detail shots of all of that year T/A cars and brakes.  Pretty hard for an organizer to dispute something that was published that long ago.  That is how we got the 8.00 15 approved in SVRA was to bring the books showing sizes and a original tire mounted on a 8 inch wheel to compare to a 800-15.  Hard to dispute it when it is in front of you.

Offline skip70

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 08:26:59 pm »
Thanks everyone who commented. I thought that would be the case.

John, the body is the Historic Eligibility Committee of the Confederation Of Australian Motorsports or CAMS for short.
We cannot run the cars as per the SCCA papers and rules (much as I would like to), we have a "part way there" set with built in "parody adjustment" and inconsistencies. The problem for the Boss302 model is that it was so good "in the day" here in Aus. they nobbled it when these rules were drafted.

The brake issue revolves around it being deemed a dealer option not a factory one despite the Ford part numbers and all.

Well, we will just have to get on with it regardless.

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:55:46 am »
Perhaps not on the SCCA documents, but you'd think they would accept the FIA paperwork in Australia. Sounds like a bunch of bloody Holden groupies.
So I am finally working on the 1970 Boss 302 motor it just hasn't been happy since the valve dropped in the stroked Windsor.

Offline skip70

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 02:59:16 am »
Yes, unfortunately, after much searching I have been unable to obtain a copy of the 69 Boss302 FIA papers. They may have helped.

Here is another little gem, I wanted to run over riders on the rear axle and into the cab but they are only approved for the 68 mustang? (factory option????)

So I design and built my own under riders based on KK designed units on T/A chassis 148624.

Anyway, its been a fun build with more to come yet.

Offline 70BossTA

• Needs A Job
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 05:52:49 am »
Skip,
         If the rules back in the day...allowed Allan Moffat to run his T/A Boss as he did, the why would those same rules not be allowed by CAMS?  Sounds like John is right-on, bunch of "GM" bullies running the show down under....!!!   
You should be able to contact an FIA office and purchase copies of the Group II rules for 69-70 Mustangs and PROVE what was legal in the day!  Do some more homework and you can fight this BS !!!

Ed
Current Boss:  0F02G194983
Previously owned: 
SFM5S271  (65 B/P Shelby)
Bud Moore #16 - Peter Gregg 1971 team - SBY)
0F02G157794 (second owner - Grabber Orange)

Offline gt350hr

• No Life
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 10:09:53 am »
     Skip , PM me a fax number and I will send you some stuff that will help you. Must be a fax.
          Randy
'66 GT350H (6S477)1of 18 white w/blue side stripes - drag raced mostly w / Boss 302 power for 35+ years
68.5 Cobra Jet fb  white w/blue c stripe 4spd
sorry never owned a Boss car just engines
cover Car Craft July '77 with my Boss powered GT350
cover/article Mustang Illustrated Fall 1987 w/all aluminum SK 351 Cleveland powered Mustang II
cover /article Modified Mustangs Feb 2011
cover Mustang Monthly  June 2014