Author Topic: GS Johnson passed today  (Read 18758 times)

Offline ASedan

• Needs A Job
  • Live by the wrench - Die by the checkbook
Re: GS Johnson passed today
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2015, 10:05:15 pm »
I don't know if most know that G.S.' connection with Parnelli was that they co-drove a works Nissan in some kind of endurance event in the 80s.  We used to email almost daily and he even did some undercover research for me at a business in Monrovia that sponsored my 69 back in 1972.  I knew he went out of his way to do it.  Just the kind of guy he was.

dave

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2015, 06:29:39 am »
Hate to hear this, had always enjoyed reading his posts here over the years.

One of the nicest things about this internet world, you and others that will not even have discovered this website can read, and read again. I just went back and reread some of the posts between us.
John
Have you driven a Ford Lately?

https://youtu.be/C2fY6-Ggfoo

2010 Mustang GT Red Candy Metallic
1970 BOSS 302 Mustang Lime Green Metallic
1969 1/2  BOSS 302 Mustang Calypso Coral
1962 Porsche 356B-T6 Silver-Black interior (It's a Porsche that is what they should be.)

Offline dean_acheson

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2015, 01:06:26 pm »
That's so very true John. Personally I read a lot more than I post, based on the maxim it's better to be thought stupid than to prove it. GS's posts always were the exact converse of this. To steal a line from Johnny Horton, it was clear that he had forgotten more about our beloved cars than I'll ever know. I'm glad at least a fraction of GS's knowledge base is preserved here via his writings.

Offline Winner70ta

• Needs A Job
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2015, 11:02:58 am »
I just read this post today.  You never know when your number is up so please take care of yourselves medically even if you feel that you don't have time to make that appointment.  My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends especially at this time of year when the holidays start.  That empty chair at the table is very sobering.  Remember the good times.
1970 Grabber Blue Boss 302
2016 Mustang GT Roush Supercharged

Offline CobraR1339

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2015, 11:08:11 am »
Guy''s I was a close friend of GS for many years. We worked together on a few projects in the 90's  ( My Concours 69 GT350, His 71 Torino 429 SCJ, our 70 428 Mach, Our 66 GT350H, 70 Z28 ( ok, everyone has a bad day), His 70 personal Boss 302, My old 71 Boss 351, same color scheme BTW. Pic somewhere of the two. The GT350 was supposed to be a driver when we started the rest, but at the time, concours was just getting started in the Mustang realm. I think Bob Perkins was the first to show one off. Drew Alcazar was the guru at the time on the West coast as he was doing full restos for Fred Heitman's collection at the time. Well we got the bug and had his Boss and my Shelby on rotisserie's at the same time. Labors of love for sure and they turned out to be two of the best examples anywhere. Going on to win Saac Gold and the Newport Beach Concours Muscle car classic in the Torino and GT350 against some other very, very well done Muscle Cars. 

Myself and another of GS close friends are the ones helping to button up his car related projects and finish the 550 Maranello.  BTW she is now running, many things left to do that are pretty much just cosmetic along with some mods in the typical GS style. He had many rare optional parts already sourced from Scuderia. I never quite understood the passion for this car until I got it running. It was still somewhat apart as he was doing a full major service for the belts.  The V12's sound is something to behold, really, I mean really.  She has a high idle that is normal at 1,050. She is definitely hot to trot.  Lights up the tires in 3 gears at will. Just like firing up your Boss with that wonder mechanical sound, it just feels and sounds special. This would IMO be the Italian equivalent, I guess.   

He also had some other irons in the fire,  73 450 SL euro bumper car just back from paint, all trim disassembled. And a 69 911 on a rolling stand totally stripped. He bought it like that.

I was partners with him the the 67 TA Coupe as well. We found it for  cheap back in 2004. Nick named it Willard because of the rat crap  and rats that were living in the car. Got really moving on it early with all the chassis welding in the first couple months.  But it always ended up on the back burner due to other projects and life events. A few years ago it was finally painted.  But again put on the back burner as he got the itch for a vintage 911. However over those 11 years GS would constantly source those period correct odds and ends that will one day set it apart. I would get a text or email every so often with a pic of some rare piece he found and acquired. It always made my day. I to did that but no where near the same level of contribution. he was like a PI for hard to find stuff.

We were supposed to start moving car and parts to my home shop the weekend after he passed. If you were conversing with him on the engine build for this car please reach out to me, as the engine is no where to be found, but have receipts for machine shop services on the Boss block,  Mickey Thompson Heads. Crank, Rods, etc.  

We had hoped to finish the car in time to run the Coronado vintage event in 2016.  Not so sure I will be able to pull that off on my own. But do intend to finish the car. It will one day be a Racing Tribute to GS.  If you Boss owners don't mind I will start a post and try to update you on the progress of the car from time to time.

I wish I had met some of you at the services.  As many commented, his sister Heidi delivered what I though was the absolute perfect eulogy, GS would have been so proud of her and Lindsay.

I have now spent a couple weeks in his garage getting cars back together and ready to move, sorting through parts ,etc.  A lot of nostalgic moments are recalled that still get me a bit misty and also bring a smile or laugh. I found some folders of Boss Registry threads he had cataloged, it was obvious that your community was part of his passion and he saw many of you as an extended family.

Offline RadBOSS

• True BOSS 302 Exhange Enthusiast
  • A/S Solo I RIR Turn 6, 1973-4
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2015, 08:30:00 pm »
Sad News.  RIP GS,  never had the opportunity to know you.

1929 Model A Roadster
1969 BOSS - original owner
1987 Merkur Xr4Ti (with Sierra Cosworth body kit)
2005 Jeep LJ
2012 GMC Yukon XL
2016 Shelby GT350R

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. " - Will Rogers

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." - Henry Ford

"Anything worth doing, is worth doing right." - Unknown

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • ^My Old Heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2016, 10:51:58 am »
This is a heads up for those who knew GS 'Steve' I have received a hacked/spoofed email from his account. Since he and I were friends, we had each others emails. Unfortunately these are the times we live in, hackers got into his account. So, IF anybody receives an email from GS, immediately delete it or click it as spam…do not open it.
Current lifelong project:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Offline RadBOSS

• True BOSS 302 Exhange Enthusiast
  • A/S Solo I RIR Turn 6, 1973-4
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2016, 11:08:48 am »
I did not have the pleasure of meeting him,  but I did have a conversation with him a time or two.  RIP and may they have 69 - 70 BOSS 302's where you have gone.

As we get older (I'm really 70?) the periodic heart checks are good,  but If any individual wants to get the most out of the milage of thier pieces parts,  we need to think about the foods we eat and the real exercise we do).  Its not easy but I am trying.

1929 Model A Roadster
1969 BOSS - original owner
1987 Merkur Xr4Ti (with Sierra Cosworth body kit)
2005 Jeep LJ
2012 GMC Yukon XL
2016 Shelby GT350R

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. " - Will Rogers

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." - Henry Ford

"Anything worth doing, is worth doing right." - Unknown

Offline SamBoss

• Banned. I'm actually Randy Dickerson.
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2016, 03:10:01 pm »
Thank you for this thread. Steve was a really longtime close friend of mine. As with most, this came with big shock and I still think about him daily, whether it be the conversations we had, or certain cars we loved. He will be forever missed.

Sam
1970 BOSS 302 owned since 1981
1969 Project BOSS 302 owned since 2009
1966 GTO 389 Tri-Power owned since 1988

Offline 6T9BOSS

• Needs A Job
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2016, 04:45:31 am »
Such sad news to hear.... Thoughts and prayers to his family. What a great guy to have met on this site. Always helping with the BOSS Passion.  :-[

Offline SamBoss

• Banned. I'm actually Randy Dickerson.
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2016, 04:48:56 am »
I can't believe we're approaching a year since the passing of one my best friends who I considered family. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of you, Steve. It seems just like yesterday when we we used to sit in your garage in the late 90's joking around with predicting and questioning what we would be doing in our 80s (age wise) which was simply having a nice cold beer together and talking about the good old days.
This hobby just doesn't seem to be the same without your presence in my life. I'm sure we'll see each other soon brother. 🍻

Sam

P.S - thanks again to everyone who shared their personal stories and also expressed their clondolences to my brother from another mother, Steve (AKA G.S Johnson) Johnson.
1970 BOSS 302 owned since 1981
1969 Project BOSS 302 owned since 2009
1966 GTO 389 Tri-Power owned since 1988