Author Topic: 1970 Boss 302 Super Drag-Pak Eliminator - 0F91G544281  (Read 14448 times)

Offline BORKSTANG

• Cool Newbie
Re: 1970 Boss 302 Super Drag-Pak Eliminator - 0F91G544281
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 12:19:56 pm »
I do not have any pictures from when I found the car.  After I cleaned it up and put an engine in it to just drive it, I did take some pictures.  I will dig those out and post a couple.  It actually looked pretty good and the rust is hard to see in those pictures. 

Offline BORKSTANG

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 08:53:37 am »
I have attached a couple of photos that might be of interest in regard to 0F91G544281.  I do not have any photos of the car when I found it.  When I found it, it was sitting under a tree on four flat tires where it had been for a couple of years. The car was covered in tree sap and bird poop.  The interior was moldy.  For a car that was only 12 years old, it was pretty rusty.  One of the tires was an original goodyear polyglas.  Later I was able to clean this tire up, put a tube in it and use it as the spare for shows.  This tire is still the one that you see in the trunk of this car today.  There is a picture of the car before any of the body work was started when I was just driving it.  It looks better than it really was.  Someone had given it a quick paint job a couple of years before I got it.  Unfortunately they just taped the stripes off and also painted over the rust.  What you don't see is the rust holes in the floor, rust hole in the top of one fender, the fact that the bottom of the doors were gone, and the holes in the trunk.   The other picture is of the original doors and one fender.  These were replaced with nice rust free ones when the body work was done. 

Offline mike_b_svt

• No Life
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 11:50:50 am »
I have attached a couple of photos that might be of interest in regard to 0F91G544281.  I do not have any photos of the car when I found it.  When I found it, it was sitting under a tree on four flat tires where it had been for a couple of years. The car was covered in tree sap and bird poop.  The interior was moldy.  For a car that was only 12 years old, it was pretty rusty.  One of the tires was an original goodyear polyglas.  Later I was able to clean this tire up, put a tube in it and use it as the spare for shows.  This tire is still the one that you see in the trunk of this car today.  There is a picture of the car before any of the body work was started when I was just driving it.  It looks better than it really was.  Someone had given it a quick paint job a couple of years before I got it.  Unfortunately they just taped the stripes off and also painted over the rust.  What you don't see is the rust holes in the floor, rust hole in the top of one fender, the fact that the bottom of the doors were gone, and the holes in the trunk.   The other picture is of the original doors and one fender.  These were replaced with nice rust free ones when the body work was done.

Wow, those are cool pics and great history on this car.  I love stuff like this ~ rust and everything, LOL!
I've never seen a door rusted like that at the top.  Was it sitting on the ground with that side down on the earth maybe?  Wooo... rusty!

Thanks again for the history and pics Dave!
~ Mike B.

'03 Cobra Convertible #2004
- 1 of 345 Sonic Blue, Argent Interior, Black Top

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
- 1 of 70 with 428SCJ / 4-speed
Cat Bites Man!

RIP: 1993 Cobra #1795
- Teal w/ Gray Leather Interior, Sunroof
- Stolen & stripped 6/6/2002

Offline BORKSTANG

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 02:53:07 pm »
What you see on the door is where the body shop took a torch and cut part of the top of the door away so that it would make it easier to remove the window assembly.  The door glass on both doors was put into the rust free replacement doors.  All of the glass in the car is original except for the windshield.

Offline mike_b_svt

• No Life
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 04:58:47 pm »
What you see on the door is where the body shop took a torch and cut part of the top of the door away so that it would make it easier to remove the window assembly.  The door glass on both doors was put into the rust free replacement doors.  All of the glass in the car is original except for the windshield.

Oh, ok!  LOL!
~ Mike B.

Cat Bites Man!

Offline 430dragpack

• No Life
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 02:00:10 pm »
Here is the Muscle Car Review "baseball" card from their muscle cars series of automobile card set featuring this Eliminator.

Offline trboss

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 04:03:41 am »
I bought the Boss Cat from Roy in Iowa. The car is actually called the "Wife Eliminator" Dave sold it after a divorce to Roy. When I was going to buy the car from Roy...that day he was served divorce papers. I brought the car home and my close friend\owner of Mikes Classic Cars  and myself went through a freshening up  and installed some missing correct parts(including the missing block the Registry helped find) this happen after I was served divorce papers. The chain has been broken the current owner is a bachelor!!! He has a collection of every 1970 Eliminator Cougar Color. He never really knew how rare it was when he bought it from me. When the car went to auction the paint, and underside and wrong block were never touched except for the wrong wheels he installed.$110.000 would have been a World Record for a + 20 year old restoration Cougar\Boss .  Since I was 17, I have owned four Boss's. 1) 70 Calypso Coral\Vermillion one of 15 produced. 2) 1970 Boss 429 Grabber Orange #OFO2Z124189 3) The Boss 302  Cougar Eliminator and 4) 2012 Red Boss 302 which is by far the best overall Car.  It will be driven and enjoyed....This is the rest of the story Good Day!

Offline BORKSTANG

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 03:54:49 pm »
Nice to hear from you Tim.  Yes, it was called the wife eliminator and thanks for adding more info.  I was wondering if I can get copies of some of the pictures you have.     Dave

Offline 0F02G-1ZVBP

• Cool Newbie
  • Paying the cost of being the Boss ...
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 12:56:00 am »
Hi!  Is this Boss Cougar Grabber Blue?  Could I have seen it at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale in January 2016?  Did this car spend some time in the Houston area?  It would be pretty amazing if this is the car that my buddy Ed Hockaday had told me about - which I read about in Muscle Car Review in the 80's and dreamed about.

430dragpak is mostly correct about this car and he does know it very well.  Here is a little more to the story.  I bought this car in the early 80s.  It was sitting outside under a tree without an engine or transmission.  It was pretty rusty then.  Luckily the oil cooler, smog, and original alternator as well as some other drive train parts were with it.  I put a regular 302 in it and drove it a few years.  Then in 1987 it spent most of the year in a body shop.  At that time it got two quarter panels, left rear frame section, rust repair in the trunk, two doors, and one front fender.  The floors and torque boxes were replaced with ones out of a rust free donor car.  Unfortunately that were not quite long enough and this was before much was available for them.  So it was still a little soft at the rear of the front floor pans.  I did get an engine from his dad and it was restored to the point where all of the Boss 302 stuff was under the hood.  It was shown a lot and it did quite well at shows.  The exhaust on the car is what I had put on.  The original system was on the car when I got it, unfortunately I blew a muffler out shortly after the Boss 302 was installed.  The exhaust on the car is a welded Walker setup that was for a Boss 302 stang.  Yes it was a left over set from the early 70s.  The tailpipes were made to match the original pipes.  Tim that owned it after Roy had the underside completely detailed and did install more of the correct drivetrain components.  But the paint, interior, and engine compartment still look very much like they did when I had the car.  I was the owner when it was in Musclecar Review magazine, when it was put on a Muscle Car Card and when it was used as a pattern by Ertl for a model.  I still have the original letters from Ertl.  I also originally put it in the Boss 302 registry back in the 1980s.  It is nice to see it again at the auction.  I am glad that I was able to save it all those years ago.
John
jdettori@optonline.net
1967 GT Vert      2001 SVT Cobra
1970 Boss 302    2013 Boss 302 LS #214
1986 SVO

Offline 70B302Cat

• No Life
  • 1970 B2 Eliminator SDP; B2 Eliminator; 1971 B351
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2016, 06:40:13 am »
Hi!  Is this Boss Cougar Grabber Blue?  Could I have seen it at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale in January 2016?  Did this car spend some time in the Houston area?  It would be pretty amazing if this is the car that my buddy Ed Hockaday had told me about - which I read about in Muscle Car Review in the 80's and dreamed about.

430dragpak is mostly correct about this car and he does know it very well.  Here is a little more to the story.  I bought this car in the early 80s.  It was sitting outside under a tree without an engine or transmission.  It was pretty rusty then.  Luckily the oil cooler, smog, and original alternator as well as some other drive train parts were with it.  I put a regular 302 in it and drove it a few years.  Then in 1987 it spent most of the year in a body shop.  At that time it got two quarter panels, left rear frame section, rust repair in the trunk, two doors, and one front fender.  The floors and torque boxes were replaced with ones out of a rust free donor car.  Unfortunately that were not quite long enough and this was before much was available for them.  So it was still a little soft at the rear of the front floor pans.  I did get an engine from his dad and it was restored to the point where all of the Boss 302 stuff was under the hood.  It was shown a lot and it did quite well at shows.  The exhaust on the car is what I had put on.  The original system was on the car when I got it, unfortunately I blew a muffler out shortly after the Boss 302 was installed.  The exhaust on the car is a welded Walker setup that was for a Boss 302 stang.  Yes it was a left over set from the early 70s.  The tailpipes were made to match the original pipes.  Tim that owned it after Roy had the underside completely detailed and did install more of the correct drivetrain components.  But the paint, interior, and engine compartment still look very much like they did when I had the car.  I was the owner when it was in Musclecar Review magazine, when it was put on a Muscle Car Card and when it was used as a pattern by Ertl for a model.  I still have the original letters from Ertl.  I also originally put it in the Boss 302 registry back in the 1980s.  It is nice to see it again at the auction.  I am glad that I was able to save it all those years ago.

Different car the one being discussed in this thread is Competition Gold, the one that sold at B-J is the one (Competition Blue) that Ed worked on back in the '80's and it was not a SDP.  It is now in Northern California.  I own a Competition Blue SDP that did spend time in the Dallas area from ~ '85 to '90.  It is the one on the right in my signature picture.

Offline BORKSTANG

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 03:40:41 pm »
Ed Hockaday did see this Car at the Cougar Club of America national show in 1991 when the show was in Denver, Colorado.  I was there showing the car and Ed was there with David Talley showing his blue eliminator.  We spent a lot of time talking about the cars over some cold ones. 

Offline BORKSTANG

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 03:56:22 pm »
This car was on the auction block again.  It was a no sale at the Auctions America auction on September 3rd in Auburn, Indiana.  The auction company thought that it would sell between $150,000 and $175,000 which was way high in my opinion.  The actual high bid on the car was $60,000 and that is about what it is worth from past actual sales on this car. 

Offline mike_b_svt

• No Life
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 01:29:51 pm »
The actual high bid on the car was $60,000 and that is about what it is worth from past actual sales on this car.

Yeah, that's about where it sold for in the previous public sale.  I think it could benefit from having the numbers matching block installed, but the seller would probably see no profit due to the cost of swapping it.

I guess they should have taken the $110k bid from Mecum Kissimmee earlier this year.
~ Mike B.

Cat Bites Man!

Offline Builder1

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2016, 07:13:41 pm »
I have the numbers matching trans for this car.   If someone could let the current owner know.
Thanks

Offline mike_b_svt

• No Life
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 12:35:10 pm »
I have the numbers matching trans for this car.   If someone could let the current owner know.
Thanks

Thanks Builder1!  I sent an email to the Eliminator Registrar and the Boss 302 Registrar, so hopefully they will put the current owner in touch with you.

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=73700.0

Found 544281 Transmission If the registar can let the owner know

There is post from a long time ago discussing the cougar this trans belongs in.   Its been found in Nebraska.
Thanks
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=61698.0
shelby-mustang@hotmail.com
~ Mike B.

Cat Bites Man!