Author Topic: 1971 Boss 351 for sale  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Big Boss Fan

1971 Boss 351 for sale
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:41:44 pm »
 I have recently bought this car and will begin a complete rotisserie restoration process. This will include all new interior, suspension etc. The car is a theft recovery so most of the original engine components are missing. I understand that they are available and very expensive. What I am proposing is to get it all done except for the rare under hood stuff and let some one else finish it or have a buyer provide these parts and have me finish it for them as it will take me a long time to come up with the cash. It is an original black car so it is very desirable. I found it in pieces and felt it deserved to be brought back to its former glory. I have a small restoration shop in Vancouver, Wa. but grew up  in Kalamazoo, Mi, about 100 miles from Dearborn, and am in my mid 50's. My older brother came back from Vietnam in the spring of 1969 and bought a '66 fastback and I have been a Mustang geek ever since. I am presently finishing a rotisserie restoration of a '66 fastback and our quality is first rate.  I will be looking for some where around $45,000 for it when the work is done, including finishing it with the correct parts.  I am open to suggestions and helpful comments if any one wants to help me with this project. We are Classic Detroit Iron Restorations and can be found at our web site of the same name.

Offline svo2scj

• No Life
  • Yeah it's the wrong paint and cap!
Re: 1971 Boss 351 for sale
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 08:55:33 pm »
Welcome !   Very interested in seeing what your do.    Your car is one of MANY that are currently being built.  ALL IN DIFFERENT "plans" it seems.

While some prefer RESTMODS and are doing cars with modern suspension and OUTRAGEOUS MOTORS, others have kept Boss motor and are selling cars.

I find in your case, restoring CAR and (leaving motor to others /if I read that right) interesting.  You may have to be more specific on "original engine components" missing!    I don't know if that means, carb/ (manifolds/ distributor/ rev limiter / alternator/ radiator OR IF IT means ----not a Boss motor so no correct internals.

Either way parts are around.   In my case the buyer (ABOVE) choose to NOT USE THE MOTOR.   Many of us have NOS ford parts as we have been doing 1971 Boss 351's from before all the repro parts were available.   I don't know if there is value in that for your plan - likely most will use repro interior items, grills and seat covers rather than use original material seats and panels.

Anyway welcome again and ASK questions, do searches and look at multiple photos and cars before assuming anything.  (Most 1971 Boss 351's are wrong in more than one area)

Mark
Mark Haas
517 861 7630

Offline boss1ncj

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 05:14:40 pm »
BBFan,
If you plan to market the car, you would do well to get a Marti report on it, and post it with your descriptions.  Also, let prospective buyers know if it has/will have a salvage title.  A true black Boss 351 is a desirable beast, good luck with your restoration.

Offline Godzilla

• No Life
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:22:42 pm »
Good color. Best of luck.
Original Paint, Survivor, RAVEN BLACK Boss9
Original Paint, Survivor, Lime Gold   68.5  CJ

Offline Big Boss Fan

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 12:50:17 pm »
 Hello and thanks to everyone for the input. As I mentioned, the car is a theft recovery and was pretty well stripped of all the running gear. I will be looking to put an original Boss engine, wide ratio 4 speed and rear end in the car as well as the proper intake, exhaust manifolds etc. I don't see me spending 3 grand on a carb. I am going to try to get it as original as is practical with the budget I have. I can say it will be put on my rotisserie and will be very nice when I am ready to sell it. I am shooting for a completion date in Early June as Mecum is having their auction in Portland this year. Once again, I appreciate the input and encouragement and would like to hear more opinions and any advice that people  have to offer.