Author Topic: Not really a fastback?  (Read 2297 times)

Offline JoeMamma

• Cool Newbie
Not really a fastback?
« on: February 28, 2004, 10:31:44 am »
Still learning about my B351...

I was poking around in the trunk when I came to the realize that the rear seat does not fold down.

So, the Boss 351's are fastbacks, but only skin deep, huh?
8 White/Black GT ConVORTible
71 Grabber Yellow Boss 351

Offline boss1ncj

Not really a fastback?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 03:47:38 pm »
The folddown seat was an option in '71 just as it had been in the previous years.  It was not a mandatory item on the Boss.  Only about 1 in 6 fastbacks had the folddown in '71.

Offline c4az63c

• http://www.ostalecki.com
Factory Installed
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 06:28:42 pm »
The fold down option was a factory installed item.  The sheet metal panels are specific for the fold down.  It is not a bolt in conversion.  If someone says that they added a fold down to a 71 - 73 check for sawzall marks or the back half of a fold equipped car was used.

Offline Cullen01

Not really a fastback?
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 04:23:02 pm »
how different are they?

I have put them in 60/70's before without a hassel.
 What are the differences in a 71?

Offline c4az63c

• http://www.ostalecki.com
Not really a fastback?
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 05:13:09 pm »
The panels in the rear seat area were different between fold down and non fold down.  When I had my first Boss 351 in 1978 I was on my way to Atlanta for the MCA Grand National show with a friend.  My Boss had the fold down and we were chatting about the car.  I mentioned that I was lucky that it had the fold down from the factory so I didn't have to install it myself.  My friend was a welder on the Mustang line for five years (70-75).  He did the rear trunk welds and others as needed.  In fact he did the last convert in '73.  He mentioned that fold down got different panels welded in at the plant.  He will be driving down with us to the 40th and I'll double check.