Author Topic: '70 build started  (Read 20729 times)

Offline MacManInfi

Re: '70 build started
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2018, 05:23:52 pm »
Holidays are good opportunities for me to get a bunch of stuff done!

Decided to work on the fender vents over Thanksgiving weekend. The idea is for '69 style boss stripes to emerge from the fender vents. These took a lot more work than I expected! About twice as long as a single fender flare and I still need to figure out what kind of mesh I want to use to block off big rocks and such from being kicked through the vents.

Before I could start on the fender vents, I needed to patch in a new piece of sheet metal. The original fenders have been dented up and have a bunch of holes in them. Perhaps from different side emblems over the years? At any rate, I cut that out and partially welded in a new piece. Then, because i will be bending the sheet metal, I welded in some 1/4" steel rod to the back side to be used as supports and also to give the edges some thickness.

I had to split the lower vent into two pieces so it would flex (being a complex curve), and cut out some extra material and weld it up that way.

Then I made little triangle pieces to fill in the gaps at the top and bottom of each vent.

Finally, I shaped another piece of 1/4" rod for a scoop that would cover the whole thing and shaped a piece of sheet metal to cover that.

Offline Aussie_Boss302

« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2018, 06:40:55 am »
Very nice fab work

Offline MacManInfi

« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2018, 04:58:45 pm »
Started on the passenger side fender vents. Scraped out the undercoating first. Patched in a new panel. Made the backside bracing, welded in the triangular upper and lower pieces, welded it up and sanded it down.

Had to flatten a bump under the fender to make room for the vents. Cut a bunch of the bulge out, welded in a flat panel, smoothed it and primered it.

Cut a door mirror mounting plate out of ?” metal and welded it onto the door. Drilled it and threaded it and mounted the door mirror. Also cut, painted and mounted the mesh screen for the driver’s side air intake scoop.

Started putting in the flexible tubing for the air intake.

Offline MacManInfi

« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2018, 05:03:11 pm »
Spent the day on the driver’s side rear fender vent. First I cut out the hole for the vent, then I shaped a ?” steel rod to the inside of the hole and welded it in. Then I cut out the whole vent so I could shape the inside piece with the planishing hammer. Welded it up and sealed it with 3M panel bonder. Then welded the vent back into the fender and smoothed out the welds.

For the passenger side, I will only spot weld the steel rod before I cut the panel out and won't finish welding it until the panel is back in place. This should prevent the panel from shrinking on the small ends, something I struggled with on the driver's side (hence a few uneven spots in the panel).

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • ^My Old Heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2018, 05:23:47 pm »
Mac,
Your trekking along very nicely! Kinda ironic, putting the rear quarter panel scoops on a '70 Fastback, where as the 1969 Boss cars eliminated them. I personally favor the '69 Fastback scoops! On mine Im going to use them for the same purpose as you are: rear brake cooling.
Keep up your excellent work!
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Volvo 1800, being converted to Boss 302 power…coming soon!

Offline MacManInfi

« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2018, 02:21:57 am »
Yeah, I don't mind the mix and I had to pull the trigger on either a 69 or 70, whatever I could find and afford in the right shape. I love the 70 headlights but I also like the 69 quarter panel scoops (especially when made functional) and 69 boss stripes.

Offline MacManInfi

« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2019, 12:36:44 pm »
Lots of catching up over the holidays.

Since I am using the original turn signal holes for the brake cooling ducts, I needed a different solution for turn signals. Decided to modify some '66 turn signals and inset them into the front valance.

I am using Ring Brother's door handles. Took a bit of fitment but they look and work great.

And then I started doing the same stuff to the passenger side that I've already done to the driver's side, including melting the lead out of the roof and patching in sheet metal so it'll require less body filler.

Offline MacManInfi

« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2019, 12:40:09 pm »
Also added the passenger side rear fender vent.

Patched the old passenger side door mirror holes which had been pulled out, distorting the metal.

Welded on the mount for the new door mirror.

Got the car outside and stripped the rest of the paint off the passenger side and took pictures! There are a ton of misc tasks left but it definitely feels like the big things are done!

Offline 1109RWHP

• No Life
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2019, 09:55:58 pm »
Looks angry!  I like the way the new turn signals point down. Gives it a cool look.

Offline SDBossRunner

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2019, 09:32:33 am »
Wow! I'm truly impressed with the level of craftsmanship here, well done sir!!
1970 W-Code Grabber Orange B302 (restoration in progress, going back to Competition Yellow)

Offline MacManInfi

« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2019, 12:26:16 pm »
Thanks!!! I love this car. Definitely a dream car for me and I couldn't have done it without everyone here on these forums. Really appreciate all the help!

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • ^My Old Heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2019, 02:13:20 pm »
Mac,
WOW! Your car looks bad arse! Cant wait until its pained.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Volvo 1800, being converted to Boss 302 power…coming soon!

Offline Oldstang

« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2019, 05:20:38 pm »
I love seeing what you have done with the build. On the flip side I don’t think I can post any more pictures of my junk because you make me look like a hack. He he. The metal work alone is impressive not to mention you creative ideas. The turn signal relocation is a nice touch.

Offline MacManInfi

« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2019, 01:02:44 pm »
Well don't look too close at my stuff!  :) It looks great from 10 ft away but not so much up close! I am sure the body guy is gonna curse me when I bring the car in. It'll take a lot of work to get those flares and scoops perfectly smooth but I gotta learn some how. I've seen this kind of stuff done butter smooth so I know I have a long ways to go.

Boring rust patch work from Saturday. After removing the paint from the passenger door, I saw some rust poking through on the front, and a piece in the rear that had been poorly patched so I cut both out, cleaned everything up and patched in new metal.

The doors had that soft, spongy insulation glued to the outside panels, perfect for trapping moisture.  :P

Offline amorrow

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #194 on: January 15, 2019, 09:37:01 am »
You’re making a very, very cool car...amazing work!
'65 GT350 Clone
'70 T/A-Style Track Car (In-Progress)