Author Topic: Magnaflow exhaust install- Any tips?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline 1owner

• No Life
Magnaflow exhaust install- Any tips?
« on: September 07, 2017, 12:55:35 pm »
Im about to pull the trigger on the magnflow exhaust.  How hard is it to make it fit around the staggered shocks? I thought i saw where one poster said it fit fine even though it says it wont clear the staggered shocks.
Phillip B
9F02G188360

Offline Tim Barker

• No Life
Re: Magnaflow exhaust install- Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 11:06:01 pm »
I installed the kit in my car. It went around the staggered shock fine but I had a number of challenges. The first one was a hanger system. I had intended to use the original hangers but the mufflers are about 1-1/2" narrower than stock so had to come up with plan B. I wound up using the original upper half of the original hangers and fabricating pieces to use the lower parts of theirs. The other big problem was clearing the rear brake manifold and lines. Took some work to get the tailpipe section far enough forward to clear. It sounds great but be prepared for some fabrication.

Tim
1970 BOSS 302, Yellow on White, 0F02G150833

Offline 70sum

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 06:30:31 am »
As Tim stated, I had the same problems with mine when I installed the Magnaflow system.

Offline Tim Barker

• No Life
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:30:21 am »
I installed the kit in my car. It went around the staggered shock fine but I had a number of challenges. The first one was a hanger system. I had intended to use the original hangers but the mufflers are about 1-1/2" narrower than stock so had to come up with plan B. I wound up using the original upper half of the original hangers and fabricating pieces to use the lower parts of theirs. The other big problem was clearing the rear brake manifold and lines. Took some work to get the tailpipe section far enough forward to clear. It sounds great but be prepared for some fabrication.

Tim

After having driven the car for a couple of weeks it does not work as well as I thought it would. From looking at it from under neath I thought it would clear though the axle articulation but it didn't. It bent and broke my DSD fabricated and date coded rear brake manifold and hit the shock. I will now have to buy some tubing and reconfigure to clear correctly. Not very happy about that and hope your prepared or do something different.

It would be nice if someone there in SC take an original to Magnafow and tell them to scan it and produce this tailpipe section that works on the staggered shock cars.

Tim
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:48:00 am by Tim Barker »

Offline McKeever

• Needs A Job
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 04:39:06 pm »
Sorry to hear that Tim.

I know a Fuller exhaust is expensive, by the time you repair the damaged parts and hope to get it right the 2nd time, did you really save any money.
Owned my BOSS since March 1974.
0F02G154740 Dearborn 1-16-70
Honesty is doing the right thing with a witness.
Integrity is doing the right thing without one.
The finish line seems ever distant.

Offline Tim Barker

• No Life
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 07:27:10 pm »
Sorry to hear that Tim.

I know a Fuller exhaust is expensive, by the time you repair the damaged parts and hope to get it right the 2nd time, did you really save any money.

Mark, the objective was performance and not to save money. It was a tough choice to do everything I've done and then install an exhaust system so obviously not correct. I told my brother I'm not sure the system will make it through next year.

Tim

Offline Rustin

• No Life
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 09:04:09 pm »
Tim, Kenny has a guy over in Dallas that can make it
 I do as well down here. Ive had 3" on  car with no trouble