Author Topic: Boss 302 Prices  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Bossgold

• No Life
Boss 302 Prices
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:27:24 pm »
Recently I have seen members on this site commenting on the sale of certain Boss 302's. This brought up the question of auctions vs Ebay vs other methods for selling Boss 302's for a fair price. Auctions are a joke and have always been with the run away prices and fees.  What I have started to see is the price of parts stable or going up depending on the type while the price for cars going down. Color matters and I have spoken to several veterans in this group confirm that.  I have seen several Boss cars on eBay go for less than what was offered. I recently saw a numbers matching,very clean, original Chicago owner, sell his Lime green metallic for $ 42K. I spoke with his son who was surprised at the price since they tried to sell it 2 years ago with a better response. There are several cars on ebay today with no higher bids than $ 40K and one is matching numbers.  So I thought I would ask, have the B2 people gotten really smart and the speculators looking for other opportunites?  I will say this,  B2 cars are either thrashed or in really good shape so to speak,,,unlike for example Shelbys were most have not been beaten to crap and offer a good base for purchase - is that why the prices have gone way up?. I am waiting this out cause  I think in the next 5 years there will be some nice B2 cars offered for sale at better prices.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:50:07 pm by Bossgold »

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
Re: Boss 302 Prices
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:58:26 pm »
Interesting discussion about value. Personally I still have seen some very solid prices in private sales. I was talking with someone recently that has been out of BOSS 302 Mustangs for a few years and is looking to buy another one. I am also hearing from people who have seen cars that are going for good money and then when inspected back at home are junk in the way the car was restored. So as you mention good parts prices are rising, really good solid cars restored correctly with the correct parts are getting top dollar. But education is absolutely paramount, the number of 1970 BOSS 302 owners that get into trouble when looking at 1969 BOSS 302 Mustangs is high. Too many restorations with an excessive amount of incorrect or reproduction parts are cutting into the appearance of the stability of the BOSS 302 market. Before saying that the overall value of BOSS 302 Mustang cars is dropping look deeper into the quality of the cars selling for the lower prices.

John
Facebook, hmmmmm. To Serve Man.....it was a cook book.
Beware of things that are free, If a company or service actively and aggressively pursues you to be a part of their customer base, then you are not that companies "customer". You are the product that company is selling.

2010 Mustang GT Red Candy Metallic
1970 BOSS 302 Mustang Lime Green Metallic
1969 1/2  BOSS 302 Mustang Calypso Coral
1962 Porsche 356B-T6 Silver-Black interior (It's a Porsche that is what they should be.)

Offline dhunter

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 02:52:24 am »
Here we go again / money talk . At bobs there is a guy that shows up now and again we call "Mr  Finkelstine". He looks like a rodent wearing glasses and he is the owner of two nice cars. Mr Finkelstine only talks about the value of cars and things in general. He is obsessed with money, what things cost, what they are worth, etc. As my wife always says my stuff is worth nothing because I don't/won't sell it and I buy what I like and want. If your thing is money then sell your car and look at the bank statement instead of the car. 
"People in glass houses should not throw stones"

"Yes, I am sure you are a very important man in Mexico"

Offline ex2409pilot

• Needs A Job
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:10:45 am »
Here we go again...another thread on prices and as sure as the sun is coming up tomorrow, Mr. Hunter is back on his soapbox deriding those of us who may be interested in how the market is swinging and hearing others opinions on the matter.  You've made it abundantly clear that you are this wealthy guy with a bunch of cars and you don't care what the prices are.  We get it.

Unfortunately, there are a few of us poor boys out here that dollars matter to.  I love my BOSS Mustang but if I thought that in 5 years it was going to be worth half what it is now I would be bailing out.  It's a fee country you can say what you want but I can't understand why you don't just start your own thread on the matter and leave us poor boys to talk prices if we want without you giving your two cents that anyone interested in the market are a bunch of fools, one of which looks like a rodent wearing glasses. Was that comment really necessary? ::)
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Sportsroof  - SCJ - W code - 4 speed - project
1970 Ranchero GT - 429 - C6

Offline dhunter

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 04:07:31 pm »
I'm no "wealthy guy" I'm a working stiff, my cars are driver quality and I turn my own wrenchs. I just am not obsessed with money, and I don't own things for " investments".  I say if your worried sell your car and move along. There is no "market" because no two things are alike , cars or buyers. So one thing might sell for x the other for y with no rhyme or reason. Boss cars are worth around 50k give or take. The super high price ones are number 1 cars that likely none of us can or will own.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:35:46 pm by dhunter »
"People in glass houses should not throw stones"

"Yes, I am sure you are a very important man in Mexico"

Offline stgjais

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 04:58:27 pm »
Let's say you can pick up a project B for around $35K and put $100K into a top flight resto.  Then let's say the market for this car is $200K.  You know what would happen?  The market would get flooded with Boss cars from people looking to pocket $65k and those who would cut corners to squeeze out a couple of extra bucks.  Then the $200k market value would plunge because there would be too many of various quality levels - supply and demand, and this is where we currently are.  It's a beautifully efficient market that keeps speculators out and enthusiasts in.  Let's all take care of our cars and over time we'll be fine.  Last I checked, Ford isn't making anymore 69/70 Boss cars.
1970 red Boss 4:30
2012 F250
2013 SL63 AMG
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 390 Mach 1
1972 302 Grande
1984 Foxbody GT 5.0

Offline Bossgold

• No Life
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 05:11:27 pm »
OK, so I just wanted to start this thread not because I am planning to sell my boss or worry about its worth but I do plan to buy another down the road. I know I should not have brought up the  price discussion but With that said, I find market trends fascinating. There was a thread in the cars for sale section( 'RE:Selling my Boss', tab 3 bottom) that really hit home with what I am seeing today. In a different conversation, a person who is deeply into the vendor/parts side of the mustang family brought up this exact topic. He was the one that stated that cars that were restored in the late 80's early 90's are starting to be exposed at great prices. Its 2017, so these restorations were done 25 + years ago which means many are really nice drivers. The owners, who are older now, are not necessarily interested in doing a full restore again. One segment of the mustang market, Boss 302's, seem to have done some interesting changes in the price of cars VS Parts. Like I said, numbers matching cars that two years ago probably would have sold for over $ 50K are now selling in the mid to low 40's. I think that with any other segment, Boss 302's definitely fall into two catergories - really nice solid body numbers match and or less than solid/bad restore or beat to hell cars(i.e the Recent project shells for sale @ 20/25K). So my point, the prices of B2's are softer now than I have seen, the selection of nice cars has increased(compared to thrashed projects), certain B2 parts have really gone up, and B351's and Shelbys are increasing in value. So it was only a discussion point which will drive me to making decisions today and in the future. I was only interested in what others are seeing on our site, ebay, Craigslist, dealers and other avenues. I know this price discussion is a  bad topic but I do follow this market continually.  I talk to a lot of people and I think we are seeing a buyers market for really nice B2 cars and I don't know for how long.....just my input. Nothing more.

BTW - If you love the hobby and will plan to never sell your car then disregard this Thread.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:53:09 pm by Bossgold »

Offline stgjais

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 05:23:47 pm »
OK, so I just wanted to start this thread not because I plan to ever sell my boss or worry about its worth but I do plan to buy another down the road. I know I should not have brought up the  price discussion but With that said, I find market trends fascinating. There was a thread in the cars for sale section( 'RE:Selling my Boss', tab 3 bottom) that really hit home with what I am seeing today. In a different conversation, a person who is deeply into the vendor/parts side of the mustang family brought up this exact topic. He was the one that stated that cars that were restored in the late 80's early 90's are starting to be exposed at great prices. Its 2017, so these restorations were done 25 + years ago which means many are really nice drivers. The owners, who are older now, are not necessarily interested in doing a full restore again. One segment of the mustang market, Boss 302's, seem to have done some interesting changes in the price of cars VS Parts. Like I said, numbers matching cars that two years ago probably would have sold for over $ 50K are now selling in the mid to low 40's. I think that with any other segment, Boss 302's definitely fall into two catergories - really nice solid body numbers match and or less than solid/bad restore or beat to hell cars(i.e the Recent project shells for sale @ 20/25K). So my point, the prices of B2's are softer now than I have seen, the selection of nice cars has increased(compared to thrashed projects), certain B2 parts have really gone up, and B351's and Shelbys are increasing in value. So it was only a discussion point which will drive me to making decisions today and in the future. I was only interested in what others are seeing on our site, ebay, Craigslist, dealers and other avenues. I know this price discussion is a  bad topic but I do follow this market continually.  I talk to a lot of people and I think we are seeing a buyers market for really nice B2 cars and I don't know for how long.....just my input. Nothing more.

BTW - If you love the hobby and will plan to never sell your car then disregard this Thread.

I'm seeing the same thing and this is coming from someone who just dropped a lot on a project Boss and doesn't like being upside down on anything.  Good opportunity to pick up a solid project car which is why I bought mine. 
1970 red Boss 4:30
2012 F250
2013 SL63 AMG
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 390 Mach 1
1972 302 Grande
1984 Foxbody GT 5.0

Offline partsman912

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 05:28:30 pm »
I have no comment on Boss prices.  My post (on cars for sale) was about the my experiences then and now on selling a collector car on ebay , my preferred method for many years . Up to now , there was always a sense of excitement and anticipation from the bidders and watchers with many questions to answer every day . I never had to relist a car , my prices mid market reasonable . But this last listing I had was different , hardly any questions were asked and the bidding stopped mid-week without the usual frenzy at the end. The car was arguably one of the best i have ever offered. While I have attended the Major auctions in my area , I never wanted to pay their high rates or experience the pressure tactics.
  Some facts :  Of the 21 BOSS 302's listed on ebay in the past 30 days, only one sold, a project car with an incomplete engine that sold for $23K .  Auctions results so far for 2017 show 32 cars sold at an average of $68K .
While private sales may achieve better results, I don't have a Marketing Major to help me get the word out. How is this accomplished ?
  In conclusion, it seems that the next time I want to sell a collector car, I will have to take it to an auction to get results.

Offline Bossgold

• No Life
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 05:46:09 pm »
Great input Mike....lately I have seen some really nice B2 cars for sale at a price that makes me want to avoid another project.

Offline Cblauson

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 06:22:29 pm »
I was one of the bidders on an unsold B2. Called the owner and made a deal so I guess 2 sold. I love the car game and I'm sure no one wants to be upside down, but it happens. That being said, I am a little nervous about what I paid, but isn't a little risk part of the hobby? At the end of the day I've got a car I've always wanted and when my foot's flat I kinda just forget about $.

Offline partsman912

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 07:50:03 pm »
 I wouldn't be nervous about what you paid. All Fastback Mustangs are popular and will continue to be. Enjoy your new car.  Mike

Offline Bossgold

• No Life
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 10:32:51 pm »
Here is another example. I inspected this car in LA. Its pretty nice but needs work. It started out in the high 40's. Its got some good options

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-/311954217008?hash=item48a1eb9830:g:mEsAAOSwGn5Zr0B2&vxp=mtr

Offline Cblauson

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 10:45:26 pm »
Thx mike

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 03:56:22 am »
While private sales may achieve better results, I don't have a Marketing Major to help me get the word out. How is this accomplished ?

Private sales on really top end cars may never have even been available to the general public. There are collectors that have significant cars that are exceptionally original. The upper end guys all know each other and may very well have standing offers on particular cars. So before you and I would ever hear about them being traded, the deal is long finished.

Pedestrian level cars the likes of which we all (for the most part) own get advertised, wait for tire kickers, then sell. The upper end is sold with a conversation, not really up for grabs.
John
Facebook, hmmmmm. To Serve Man.....it was a cook book.
Beware of things that are free, If a company or service actively and aggressively pursues you to be a part of their customer base, then you are not that companies "customer". You are the product that company is selling.

2010 Mustang GT Red Candy Metallic
1970 BOSS 302 Mustang Lime Green Metallic
1969 1/2  BOSS 302 Mustang Calypso Coral
1962 Porsche 356B-T6 Silver-Black interior (It's a Porsche that is what they should be.)