Author Topic: Anyone ever seen a convertible Eliminator Boss 302?  (Read 1973 times)

Offline kurt428cj

• Cool Newbie
Anyone ever seen a convertible Eliminator Boss 302?
« on: September 09, 2017, 10:34:50 pm »
I thought I would ask if a car I saw back in 1975 still exists or if anyone has ever seen it. I live in CA and in 1975 I was looking to buy a car and stopped in at "Stick City" on Foothill Blvd in Pasadena. What I saw and test drove was a 1970 Cougar Eliminator with a Boss 302 motor and of course 4sp trans. It was a Butterscotch painted exterior with white top and white interior. It had 28K miles on it and was a beautiful car. I did not think much about the car being all that special at the time and after driving it I decided to pass on it as for a 17 year old at the time, I wanted something really fast and honestly, the Cougar was pretty slow compared to what was available to buy at the time. This car has haunted my memories lately as I have been told that you could not get a Boss 302 motor in any convertible and that they never made a convertible Eliminator? I am thinking maybe a Ford executive car that he could order up anything he wanted or a one off special Ford display vehicle? I know I was looking at what appeared to be an original untouched car and no one had to make clones back in the day. Any input on what I saw?
1970 Boss 2 yellow 0F02G110334 CURRENT
1970 Boss 2 yellow 0F02G106494 (sold 20 yrs ago)
1970 Boss 2 gbr green 0F02G120165 (sold 20 yrs ago)
1969 Boss 9 white KK 1551 (sold 20 yrs ago)
1969 GT convert 428CJ R code (sold 4 yrs ago)

Offline CCBossMan

Re: Anyone ever seen a convertible Eliminator Boss 302?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:06:01 am »
Probably the receipent of a drivetrain from a wrecked BOSS Mustang/Cougar.  All other items could probably be purchased over the counter from Ford at the time, and I'm sure were a popular thing to do.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:28:27 pm by CCBossMan »

Offline mike_b_svt

• No Life
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:29:48 pm »
Probably the receipent of a drivetrain from a wrecked BOSS Mustang/Cougar.  All other items could probably be purchased over the counter from Ford at the time, and I'm sure were a popular thing to do.

It could also have been a "Dealer Special", meaning that a customer wanted a Boss 302 convertible and so the dealership performed a drivetrain swap in order to make a sale.  All of the Boss 302 Cougars built were Eliminators (the "mystery Boss 302 Cougar" was also confirmed as an Eliminator last year), and there were no Eliminator Convertibles built at the factory.

That doesn't mean you did not drive a Boss 302 Cougar Convertible though.  It just means it didn't come from the factory that way (based on everything we know currently).
~ Mike B.

'03 Cobra Convertible #2004
- 1 of 345 Sonic Blue, Argent Interior, Black Top

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
- 1 of 70 with 428SCJ / 4-speed
Cat Bites Man!

RIP: 1993 Cobra #1795
- Teal w/ Gray Leather Interior, Sunroof
- Stolen & stripped 6/6/2002

Offline J_Speegle

• Needs A Job
    • ConcoursMustang.Com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:12:05 pm »
.............. I know I was looking at what appeared to be an original untouched car and no one had to make clones back in the day. Any input on what I saw?

Know of clones made/built in 69 so don't assume no one was doing it. And enterprising owner that didn't want to spend the money for a real one often would buy parts from dealers or get them from wrecks and make their own - often these were believed to be real since "Why wouldn't the guy just buy the real thing?"

One example was a local Mercury mechanic and rather than buy an Eliminator he bought a new Cougar, all the parts to make one and did it himself. Don't recall how much he figured he saved but he was a neighbor and everyone thought it was a real one (he converted the car as soon as he got it home) until he told us about 10 years later
CU @ ConcoursMustang.Com

Offline kurt428cj

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 09:31:13 pm »
I know it is just my own personal wishing on the subject but my gut is still nagging at me after all the years of pondering with myself over this car and trying unsuccessfully convince myself it was some ones one-off garage creation, that the car I saw and drove and inspected was some how factory original and why I put the post out. I was 17 yrs old  in 1975 and smack in the middle of a time when muscle cars were cheap (NOT Boss 9s they were always comparatively pricey). All of the people I knew who bought performance cars (granted they were all high school age kids driving cars we had no business driving at that age) and only cared about how fast the car was or how cool it looked. If we could bolt something on that made it faster, you did it. If you did give a second thought  about the factory part you took off, you threw it in the garage instead of the trash can. For sure, cars were modified every way which way possible including "cloning" variants.  Making a '66 Mustang resemble a Shelby or a Camaro resemble an "SS" or Z28 when it wasn't originally or throwing a six-pack lift off hood on a 440-4V car to resemble a six-pack, etc... but fine attention for every factory minute details under the hood was not necessary or usually done as these were just cars we expected to drive and enjoy in the early 70's and the "showing" happened at the weekly cruze night up and down the boulevards. I know this all changed very rapidly as the cruze nights got shut down and by the early 80's we were going to organized "static" cars shows instead of cruze nights and COLLECTING performance cars in the garage instead of driving them. BUT this was 1975, not the eighties. This Eliminator was factory stock to the infinite degree from what I remember, nothing out of place or missing. It was perfect with only 29K miles on it. I wish at the time I would have been sensible enough to look at the VIN numbers, or for shock tower bracing, whatever etc..but I  had no reason to question it being real at the time and I just accepted the Eliminator as a factory original car. Plus the Stick City sales person presented it as an all original factory car.  So the questions would be why go to all that incredible effort and huge expense to make a car that would be less powerful than many of the cars on the street (could have made a 428CJ Elimantor convertible since big blocks ruled the day back then), why clone a car that did not exist (I think that would be like cloning a convertible Z28, or a conv Boss, or conv Trans Am AMX,-why do it, wouldn't everyone just laugh), why not buy a real factory convertible performance car since they were around (maybe a convertible 428CJ Mustang /Torino /Cougar, 454 Chevelle, 440+6 Cuda or Challenger, 442 OLDS), why create a road race performance-handling type car out of a weak convertible body (all the factories knew better hence no convertible Z28, AARs, Boss's, AMX options available) lastly why almost immediately after all that effort and expense of creating your one-of-none perfect dream car turn around and sell your beloved creation to a used car peddler like Stick City? I know you guys are among the most knowledgeable experts on the planet about these cars so I am not questioning the information received based on the known information and facts "to date", just throwing out some thoughts and being a sounding wall. I know the car is not supposed to technically exist by the book, but so often there is an exception to the norm and why I decided to ask about it as it still fascinates me to think what if it really was real?

Offline Joe0T02G148942

• No Life
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 10:52:52 pm »
 If one was built Kevin Marti would have the invoice that was the finance copy of the window sticker. You can pay him to research it . As for big blocks, after the Arab Oil Embargo owners were dumping those cars. Downsizing was already underway by 1975. So building a small block clone of a car you wish they had built is feasible. Plus selling it when finished may have been the goal or some other personal issue may have come up. Another thing you mentioned made me think about the Hemi Cuda convertibles. They were built by the factory and do exist don't they?

Joe

Offline kurt428cj

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 12:17:01 am »
Yes, Hemi convertible Cudas exist. I did not mention them (of course it was not an exhaustive list but very short example of readily available converts that could be had) as being so very rare, Hemi Cuda conv were never "readily available" to be able to buy. Funny thing, I did have the chance to buy the yellow 70 Cuda Hemi convert that was in the L.A. area (which several years later ended up in the Ottis Chandler collection) when I was in that "kid racer" mode and my only thought was, what a waste of a perfectly good 426 Hemi motor to have been put in that weak heavier chassis, and that it was not worth paying the heavy  premium over a hard top Hemi for an inferior go fast product. Wish I would have been a little wiser in my early age to recognize the true value / potential of that car. BUT, I have partially redeemed myself and have owned for many years a beautiful number matching real deal 383 Cuda convertible with under 20K original miles on it. I have to say, out of all the muscle cars I've owned, and I have had a lot, the 70 convrt Cuda and 70 Boss 2s are my favorites. 

On the oil embargo issue you mentioned, I remember it well including the odd even days you had to get gas as before I was of legal driving age my mom would send me out to buy gas for her car. But that issue was why muscle cars became cheap and it only lasted for about a year or so. But by 1975, that was well over and things were pretty much back to normal regarding gas availability. It just costs you a few more cents a gallon to buy. As far as the gas mileage thing, it's not like a Boss 2 with it's 780CFM carb was any dainty gas sipper so I personally cant see someone building a high performance car using a Boss 302 engine just because of better gas consumption. But who know, maybe he had one of those  dual quad 426 Hemis and saw some big fuel mileage gains. Who knows, any and all possibilities are wide open and we will most likely never know. 

I think I have just thought about that beautiful Eliminator so often the last few years and have kicked myself for not buying it (or that Hemi conv Cuda) that I have just psyched myself up into believing against all odds that it could have been real and really just wondering if anyone  else saw the car at some point and time.

Offline RmK57

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 02:02:45 pm »
I thought stick city was on Whittier and Beach blvd. in Whittier or La Habra.

Offline gt350hr

• Needs A Job
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 03:10:44 pm »
   There was one there too. Whittier blvd near Beach blvd. They ( in '74) had what "looked like" a Boss 302 Maverick .  Forrest green , Boss 302 , 4 speed , 9" looked "factory built". Turned out to be the car that "Trans-dapt" built in their shop that was featured in a period magazine.  I balked at the $3,500 asking price and bought  a "beater" '66 Shelby for $1,000 instead. 43 years later I think I made the right decision as I hung onto the Shelby besides making lots of $$$ drag racing it. Stick City in Whittier was always loaded with muscle cars and hot rods/racecars.
'66 GT350H (6S477)1of 18 white w/blue side stripes - drag raced mostly w / Boss 302 power for 35+ years
68.5 Cobra Jet fb  white w/blue c stripe 4spd
sorry never owned a Boss car just engines
cover Car Craft July '77 with my Boss powered GT350
cover/article Mustang Illustrated Fall 1987 w/all aluminum SK 351 Cleveland powered Mustang II
cover /article Modified Mustangs Feb 2011
cover Mustang Monthly  June 2014

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • ^My Old Heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 04:52:40 pm »
My worthless two cents…
Kinda doubt it was a factory 'production' car. Prototype maybe. That said, IF it was a prototype, records from Marti should exist. We all had that shoulda, coulda, woulda on a potential purchase years ago. Granted, my era was the 1980's (I'm younger than most members on here) I was late coming to the scene so, 'back in the day' are only stories told to me by members like yourself. That said, most Musclecars during that era (1970s) were just old used gas guzzlers that teenage kids bought and raced. 426 Hemi/Boss 429s were turds on the street, thats why so few were sold. Better (and cheaper) performance could be had with the 'common' 396, 428 CJ, and 440 powered vehicles.
Current lifelong project:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Offline Bosscat40

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 09:19:56 pm »
Sounds like a inventive person did this after they went to the Ford Drag Club meetings that had Fast Eddie & "Bossy" = Boss 429 E-cat around. Excellent story! By the way...anyone ever see a SILVER Boss 302 Eliminator? :)

1970 Boss Eliminator,1970 351c Eliminator,1991 Eliminator(self made)

Offline mike_b_svt

• No Life
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 08:44:55 pm »
By the way...anyone ever see a SILVER Boss 302 Eliminator? :)

Yes.  Technically it is Light Gray Metallic, but to you and me, that means "Silver" ;-)

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=74114.0

Also have some significant rumors of another Silver Eliminator that has since been scrapped.  VIN and drivetrain unknown.
~ Mike B.

'03 Cobra Convertible #2004
- 1 of 345 Sonic Blue, Argent Interior, Black Top

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
- 1 of 70 with 428SCJ / 4-speed
Cat Bites Man!

RIP: 1993 Cobra #1795
- Teal w/ Gray Leather Interior, Sunroof
- Stolen & stripped 6/6/2002