Author Topic: Information, please, on when production ceased for Cougars made at the San Jose  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Winner70ta

• Needs A Job
Okay, I understand it would not be Eliminator applicable, but you fellows know your cats pretty well.  My son has a '69 XR-7 that is a 428 CJ ram air car that he is restoring and was made at the San Jose facility in November of '68.  To my modest understanding, that November time period is when Mercury stopped production at that place.  My son's (Dave) car in our world of alphabet soup is a triple R car; San Jose plant, Ram Air CJ and a 3.25 posi rear.  He is trying to determine how close to the end of production that his car would have been.  I don't know if Kevin Marti has that sort of info.  But maybe you guys know the shutdown date of that location?
Thanks!
Bob
1970 Grabber Blue Boss 302
2016 Mustang GT Roush Supercharged

Offline mike_b_svt

• No Life
Hmm...  good question.

1969 was the last year for both Cougar and Mustang in San Jose, wasn't it?
Would the Cougar and Mustang have both finished at roughly the same time?

I have to admit, I don't really have an answer, but we should be able to find out through the CCOA.

*Edit: Ok, some quick searching got me a few answers...

Mustangs apparently continued at SJ through 1970MY, but Cougars finished at SJ in Nov1968.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?57842-Difference-between-Dearborn-and-San-Jose&p=486003#post486003

"1969 Cougar production in San Jose was over in late November 1968."
- Scott Behnke is WCCC's research guy.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:22:23 am by mike_b_svt »
~ Mike B.

'03 Cobra Convertible #2004
- 1 of 345 Sonic Blue, Argent Interior, Black Top

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
- 1 of 70 with 428SCJ / 4-speed
Cat Bites Man!

RIP: 1993 Cobra #1795
- Teal w/ Gray Leather Interior, Sunroof
- Stolen & stripped 6/6/2002

Offline Winner70ta

• Needs A Job
The interesting thing is that I cannot find any info on when was the last day for the Mercs at SJ.  All I have seen is that it was late November.  My son's car was scheduled to be built on November 4th but was made 18 days later on the 22nd per his basic Marti Report.  The members on the Cougar boards have not seen a car produced at SJ that late.  It would be pretty cool if his car was one of the last ones out the door!

Offline J_Speegle

• Needs A Job
    • ConcoursMustang.Com
...............  I don't know if Kevin Marti has that sort of info.  But maybe you guys know the shutdown date of that location?

Shut down?  San Jose continued producing Mustangs into the 1970 production year and continued building Fords for many years after that.

1969 was the last year for both Cougar and Mustang in San Jose, wasn't it?
Would the Cougar and Mustang have both finished at roughly the same time?

No it appears that Cougar production didn't last as long as Mustang due to sales and demand. Sam reason they started building them at only one plant and then San Jose started building them as demand increased in the early years

Sorry don't collect data on Cougars like I do Mustang.

Of course Kevin Marti could give you last car, date and those sort of data points if you hire him to do the work. Should not take allot of time to run the search
CU @ ConcoursMustang.Com

Offline Joe0T02G148942

• No Life
Wikipedia shows the plant shut down for good in 1984. I assume they were still manufacturing Mustangs.

Joe

Offline mike_b_svt

• No Life
Of course Kevin Marti could give you last car, date and those sort of data points if you hire him to do the work. Should not take allot of time to run the search

My understanding is that his price for single stat questions like this are pretty reasonable ~ about $60.  The same as a "Personalized Statistics Report".
Don't quote me on that, but that was the cost I was told regarding a similar "end of production" question posed by another car acquaintance.
~ Mike B.

'03 Cobra Convertible #2004
- 1 of 345 Sonic Blue, Argent Interior, Black Top

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
- 1 of 70 with 428SCJ / 4-speed
Cat Bites Man!

RIP: 1993 Cobra #1795
- Teal w/ Gray Leather Interior, Sunroof
- Stolen & stripped 6/6/2002

Offline Winner70ta

• Needs A Job
...............  I don't know if Kevin Marti has that sort of info.  But maybe you guys know the shutdown date of that location?

Shut down?  San Jose continued producing Mustangs into the 1970 production year and continued building Fords for many years after that.

Jeff, you probably already deduced that I am looking for the shutdown date at SJ for the Merc Cougar.  Well aware of that the Mustangs continued on but thanks for looking in to help.

Offline Winner70ta

• Needs A Job

[/quote]

My understanding is that his price for single stat questions like this are pretty reasonable ~ about $60.  The same as a "Personalized Statistics Report".
Don't quote me on that, but that was the cost I was told regarding a similar "end of production" question posed by another car acquaintance.
[/quote]

I see a special Marti Report maybe in the works for somebody's Christmas present!  Thanks guys for all of the input.
-Bob

Offline Winner70ta

• Needs A Job
Some info popped up on the Cougar forum last night:  https://classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8487&start=10