Author Topic: SAAC Forum crash results in total devastation of the forum  (Read 3134 times)

Offline bosstwins

• No Life
The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing - Edmund Burke

Online crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • ^My Old Heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!
Re: SAAC Forum crash results in total devastation of the forum
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 09:58:46 am »
Yep. This topic is also being discussed on the 428CJ site.
Current lifelong project:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:35:59 am »
Stunning loss to the Shelby hobby.
John
Have you driven a Ford Lately?

https://youtu.be/C2fY6-Ggfoo

2010 Mustang GT Red Candy Metallic
1970 BOSS 302 Mustang Lime Green Metallic
1969 1/2  BOSS 302 Mustang Calypso Coral
1962 Porsche 356B-T6 Silver-Black interior (It's a Porsche that is what they should be.)

Online crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:02:42 am »
John,
Whats ironic about this mess, the owner of the SAAC site is a computer tech wiz, who did not have any 'back up' or current updates. Sad indeed to the hobby, and to the members of SAAC.
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Offline tcpippro

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 11:10:10 am »
WOW!  All that knowledge and information lost.  Devastating...

Makes one wonder about the redundancy and recovery abilities of the BOSS302 site and if it could suffer a similar fate.

Offline Bossgold

• No Life
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:51:30 am »
You can still recover data from the disks its just a lot of work and may not be cheap. I have always wondered what the 'Value' of this site's data really is....and with amazon S3 a backup is a no-brainer. I have always wanted to see a better search engine with key word capability for the Boss 302 Registry. My point, if they really wanted to rebuild the site with the historic data it can be done if the owner feels its valuable time spent and wants to spend the money.

Offline bossneeds

• Needs A Job
  • Life's too short, enjoy every minute!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 12:17:13 pm »
So...did everything get lost? All of the info for the Registry's, photos, cars history's, ect ? And none of that is recoverable? I'm not a computer guy so can someone give me (us) a bit more insight as to what really happened and is lost forever?
1967 Tiger MK1-A
1970 Shelby GT350
2013 BOSS 302 LS #712 GO
2016 Shelby GT350 Magnetic blk stripes
2017 GT350R-Magnetic w/white stripes
Wife still Happy, recovering.
BOSS 302's are like a fabulous WI cheddar. Both get better with age and you buy them for your enjoyment, not as an investment.

Online crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 12:32:30 pm »
You can still recover data from the disks its just a lot of work and may not be cheap. I have always wondered what the 'Value' of this site's data really is....and with amazon S3 a backup is a no-brainer. I have always wanted to see a better search engine with key word capability for the Boss 302 Registry. My point, if they really wanted to rebuild the site with the historic data it can be done if the owner feels its valuable time spent and wants to spend the money.

Joe,
As I heard, all data is gone forever. This is my personal experience with SAAC as I posted on the 428CJ site:
"The 428 CJ site is always rock solid. SAAC is (and was) always behind the times for web protection and info gathering. Years ago, when I registered my GT-500, it took them forever to acknowledge my info and some got kicked back with 'errors'. This was a big hassle, no doubt. Also, the Boss 302 site has its ups and downs…obviously, not like SAAC. Lastly, its ironic that the SAAC site was owned by a computer wiz, yet took no effort to protect valuable info, and a reliable 'back up' system."

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 12:49:17 pm »
So the question goes out to Randy and Jeff, Do we as members of the board need to make a donation to improve the back up of this site?
John

1962 Porsche 356B-T6 Silver-Black interior (It's a Porsche that is what they should be.)

Offline Hazedmagnums

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 01:05:47 pm »
So the question goes out to Randy and Jeff, Do we as members of the board need to make a donation to improve the back up of this site?
John

Great question! I’m in to help via donation. As a career pilot, I can tell you it’s far more beneficial to learn from other’s mistakes rather than having personal experience...

Offline Bossgold

• No Life
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 01:18:02 pm »
Having a size of the data files on the Registry site and the type of format will dictate its cost. You have to know how the data is stored, (file server, Database, etc.) and the size (probably in the GB range...maybe TB) and you can run a back up.  Disk space is cheap. Now days, not to have a backup is one of two things - you either don't care or you are careless!  I went to Best Buy and bought a 1 Terabyte drive with a 3.0 USB for couple of 100 bucks and have plenty of backup on my PC's. I also backed it up to Dropbox.  So again, I struggle with the fact that the data cannot be recovered when even if you delete data on your PC and re-format its still recoverable. THat's why if you donate your PC to anyone, always remove your Hard drive, regardless, or your giving your personal info to everyone.

Offline 0F02G202911

• Needs A Job
  • Henry Ford III at Peterson
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 02:29:25 pm »
+1 to donate if needed for upgrades. Randy - please let us know.
Gary
70 B302
68 CJ XR-7 GTE

Offline 167961

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 02:49:22 pm »
+1 to donate if needed for upgrades. Randy - please let us know.
Count me in too. I work in the field of digitisation of government records. Our motto is "records digitisation is not about the past - it's about the future of our past". The same applies to the matter discussed in this thread - protecting the information is worth any amount of money, cos once the information is gone, it's gone.
Martin
June 1970 VIN 0T02G167961, all numbers matching, not yet perfect but therein lies the challenge :-)

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 03:36:53 pm »
There are many things on this board that replaceable, however there are many things that were written by folks that are gone that have helped many people.
John

Offline 69mach351w

• occasional poster
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 04:33:22 pm »
Some over there think its no big deal. As one admin says " Just a minor hiccup", boy did that raise some hair on the back of mosts necks!!

I'm on there pretty regular and over the past several weeks up to the crash, a lot of members were concerned that there were no real concern about who owned the forum, switched owners?!, etc...  Members were talking about this quite frequently up to the crash.  Then it happened!!!

Everything GONE!!