Author Topic: B1 at Gateway Classics St.Louis - anybody know it?  (Read 2899 times)

Offline svo2scj

• No Life
  • Yeah it's the wrong paint and cap!
Re: B1 at Gateway Classics St.Louis - anybody know it?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 06:30:25 pm »
You should never have to buy anything IMO !! (unless you are playing the Don't want my wife to see the collection going down GAME).

With your cars, you should be able to trade to other collectors that get board (or have 3 Boss 302's or too many XYZ's) !

Mark
P.S.  Tiger has always been on my list , after spending time in a car!   Just be glad you don't have a 66/67 Saab Sonett II Two Stroke to trade, can have ANYTHING you want !
Mark Haas
517 861 7630

Offline B1n71

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 12:02:55 am »
Mark,

Looking forward to knowing what else you see. I did the best I could with the knowledge I have. One other thing I might add would be the missing defroster grids in the rear window. I have looked at all the back window pictures and can’t see any evidence the back glass is a defroster glass.

Also, can’t believe you didn’t notice the time was wrong on the clock, after looking at it closer I’m not sure that clock even works!

Mike

Offline stash40

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 07:32:41 am »
A few other deviations from original: wrong dipstick, vacuum advance on distributor, no zinc dichromate screws/bolts on radiator or fenders, decal on fan shroud, shock tower supports don't appear to be painted "slop grey". Wouldn't do well at an MCA judged meet.
Original owner 71 Boss, 2012 Boss 302

Offline d1boss

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 12:52:19 pm »
Quote:Also, can’t believe you didn’t notice the time was wrong on the clock, after looking at it closer I’m not sure that clock even works!

Mike your right. After checking it again it’s STILL on the same time!
Eastern standard at that.😀😃

Still with all it’s missing parts if someone knew the history/condition of it even before it was painted, (and it has all the other numbers it came with) it could still be a desirable car for the right money. Because all the incorrect adaptions are fixable. Although the hole left to repair in the rear fender from the dukes of hazard type aerial would be a dealbreaker for me.. Many body guys would repair that in a flash.
I agree with you guys a car like this needs underside photos/inspection. A couple years ago we had an Elenor type car turn up here a guy bought from the pictures out of the New York area. From the outside looked like it had the ‘bling’ for one of those cars. But underside was rotten you could wriggle the rear chassis where the rear spring bolts to it.
And THAT is where the saying originated  ‘Buyer beware’
Bruce
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:02:35 pm by d1boss »

Offline d1boss

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 03:45:59 am »
Check out something not settled on the hood.
I’m not sure if this is a recent repaint or not but we all know to be wary of new paint that might be hiding something sinister that appears once we have shelled out the loot 💰💰.
Any ideas what it might be??

Offline d1boss

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 04:53:33 am »
Sorry i can’t seem to get the photo to load.. it’s the 53rd if you scroll down

Offline svo2scj

• No Life
  • Yeah it's the wrong paint and cap!
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 04:27:56 pm »
Mark,

Looking forward to knowing what else you see. I did the best I could with the knowledge I have. One other thing I might add would be the missing defroster grids in the rear window. I have looked at all the back window pictures and can’t see any evidence the back glass is a defroster glass.

Also, can’t believe you didn’t notice the time was wrong on the clock, after looking at it closer I’m not sure that clock even works!

Mike

I guess enough time has passed, but I'm sure I will miss many items too !!

Light Grills
Wrong Sticker on AIr cleaner
Wrong Gas cap
BOSS 351 too high on deck lid
1972 wiring harness
1973 Service Grill
Chrome fender/hood extensions
Wrong radio
1970 Shifter, wrong boot NO boot cover
Shoulder Strap retainer missing
Late model dome light
TWO 1972/73 PS seats
Seat Belt cover WTF
Wrong Distributor, Oil cap, Dipstick PCV no vacuum to pots
Placement of "stickers" anywhere and everywhere

AND PROBABLY wrong radiator as "look at the AC car cover" and where it is placed on the radiator!!

Mark

Mark Haas
517 861 7630

Offline stillakid54

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 06:51:58 am »
Unfortunate this post cannot be linked to the sales pitch for the uninformed. At the very least, forwarded to the seller (and their lawyers).
"Bookend" red/black 71: boss 1/ scj convertible

Offline ex2409pilot

• Needs A Job
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 08:41:16 am »
So.....guess I need to keep looking.  Glad I didn't waste 5 bucks on the price of admission to the Gateway store to look at this Frankenstein. This is why I should just stick to B2's.  ;) ;D
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Sportsroof  - SCJ - W code - 4 speed - project
1970 Ranchero GT - 429 - C6

Offline stillakid54

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 07:50:17 pm »
Do not dispair, there have been a number of very nice B 1's turn over in the last 18 months.
"Bookend" red/black 71: boss 1/ scj convertible

Offline ex2409pilot

• Needs A Job
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 09:32:32 am »
With time to kill the other day and the fact that I was driving down the street Gateway sits on I decided to throw a couple bucks away and go take a look at this car.  Also doing a little seed planting since wife was with me telling her I wanted to see how a B1 looks in yellow.  Of course her reply was you have a yellow BOSS...  My reply was yellow doesn't look good on every car and having never seen a yellow one in the flesh I needed to check it out.

So we go in and pay 4 bucks a head to see mostly a bunch of junk in my opinion that consignors have fixed up, given a poor paint job and worse...  Anyway, it's a pretty big place and soon discovered the B1 was no where to be found.  I finally found a salesperson and asked if they had sold the B1.  Guy said no it's back in the shop with some kind of ignition problem and won't start.  He offered to show me the car anyway so we take a look as best as I can as he didn't turn the shop lights on and handed me a flashlight. 

Aside from the multitude of incorrect things you guys have pointed out the car actually looked pretty good as it relates to condition and paint.  I forgot to write down the vin but it is in fact an R code and not a tribute.  I have no desire to own another project but for someone with the parts and expertise to do all the work it could be a decent car to own given the 40 something price which is probably negotiable.

Seed planted, wife and I both walked away in agreement that a pewter car would look better.  ;) ;D
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Sportsroof  - SCJ - W code - 4 speed - project
1970 Ranchero GT - 429 - C6