Author Topic: 1955 Cameo  (Read 597 times)

Offline MikeBaskette

• PT Group
  • No Life
1955 Cameo
« on: September 16, 2018, 03:05:13 pm »
One vehicle I have wanted for some time (50 years) is a 1955 Chevrolet Cameo Pickup.   Welp, one has surfaced with the exact equipment I deem necessary.   A 265 V8 with a Hydramatic four speed.  And, it's in my county out in the hills.

But.....it needs a total restoration and the ask is nuts at $25K.   An easy $30K-$40K is needed to do it right.  Then what?
Yes, I know how much people ask for these in nice condition but once again..........demographics plays the most important part.
The oldsters are dying off and the young don't care.  I was brought up with an eye to the potential of value, plus or minus.  That is how I factor buying old vehicles.   Some would say, "it's what you want, go for it".  I can't.   
I hate losing money going in knowingly that I will lose.  Takes the fun out of it.

Sigh...........maybe in my next life.
"Options are for girls"
"If cleanliness is next to godliness,
I'm going to hell"

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • My Old Heap
Re: 1955 Cameo
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:59:18 pm »
Mike,
I like 'em also….as you mentioned, thats a bit pricey, considering it needs a resto. How about the Chevy Apache truck?
<My old heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!

Current lifelong project:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!
Another 'project' in the works!! For now, its top secret...

Offline MikeBaskette

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:38:26 am »
I like the Apache pickups as well, but, not as much as the 55/56 Cameo.   

Side note, I've had two '56 Ford big window pickups and enjoyed them.  But, like the Cameo, the prices went stupid and I bailed.
Takes the fun out of it to have too much money wrapped up in things that don't generate interest.
"Options are for girls"
I'm going to hell"

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 03:27:20 pm »
Mike,
Just buy the dang thing.....what are you going to do with the money anyway.
John
Parts are parts, cash is only money and doesn't have the same value. You get that right?

1962 Porsche 356B-T6 Silver-Black interior (It's a Porsche that is what they should be.)
1969 1/2  BOSS 302 Mustang Calypso Coral (it's a '69 1/2 the popsicle colors are the best!)
1970 BOSS 302 Mustang Lime Green Metallic
2010 Mustang GT Red Candy Metallic

Offline MikeBaskette

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 07:42:15 pm »
Well John.   My sense has taken over my cents.   And, I'm waiting to get a new hip............dang...........old body.

I used to be a hip guy........now I'm just an old guy that needs a hip.
"Options are for girls"
I'm going to hell"

Offline d1boss

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 11:56:09 pm »
Well John.   My sense has taken over my cents.   And, I'm waiting to get a new hip............dang...........old body.

I used to be a hip guy........now I'm just an old guy that needs a hip.

Mike, Good to hear the pain isn’t killing the humour.
Bruce

Offline 6T9BOSS

• Needs A Job
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 03:11:45 am »
I have a friend here in Ga that has some Cameo parts should you pull the trigger...

Offline MikeBaskette

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 04:10:02 pm »
Bruce.........you are soooo correct on the pain....holy smokes.   It's bone on bone in the hip joint and the pain is friggin' brutal.   Waiting for "the hip guy in La Jolla" as he is booked two months out.   Supposed to be the best....and so I wait.
Thank all the gawds for binge watching Ray Donovan.

6T9BOSS.............you're killin' me.   I'm trying to put that dang truck out of my mind.

Sorry boys for going on and on about nothing, but, I'm laid up with little to do.  So, I shouldn't tell you about the garage find '58 Corvette from two weekends ago.

"Options are for girls"
I'm going to hell"

Offline d1boss

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 01:31:58 pm »
Spill it Mike.
If you’ve got the time... everyone likes those stories.

Offline MikeBaskette

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 05:31:54 pm »
Well shucks........you twisted my arm.

At the local C&C a fellow pulled up with a car trailer and an old Honda Dream in the back of the pickup.  On the car trailer sat a '58 Corvette covered in decades of dust/dirt.   Well, I couldn't stand it, so I asked the questions.

First, the Honda Dream.  He claimed it was a 1959.  I don't know bikes but  I like Dreams.

Second, on to the Corvette.    He was called by an attorney to go look at an old Chevrolet in a garage here in the San Diego area.
The car needed to be removed as the property of the deceased man was being sold as the relatives had no interest in old cars or bikes.   

The garage door was opened and there sat the Corvette and the Honda.  Both had not seen daylight for a long time.
Both were removed from the property and an appraiser was contacted to value both for sale.   The man that removed the two is to receive compensation.   He is no stranger to old cars.

I don't have pictures as he wasn't there last weekend.   Maybe he will return this weekend with the trailer.   The attorney said $30K will buy it but the story will continue I'm sure.   It needs quite a bit.  As I see them for sale in the $50K range in restored condition, $30K is no deal.   The paint alone will be $15K, the interior needs it all........and the list goes on.  The man hasn't tried to start it.   It has gobs the paperwork, original owners manual and other manuals.

Upside?, it's dry, frame and all.  Sooo, that's something.   Much like the Cameo pickup and the absurd asking price, this Corvette is over priced.  The buy in sounds good at 30K but anyone in the know is acutely aware it's all downhill from there.  That is unless you know how to rebuild engines, transmission and rear ends.  I don't.

It is just so neat to see a dirty car come into the daylight for the first time in decades.  It is a 4 speed, black/black, no hard top, all bright work is present but of course needs restoring.   
Anyone that goes down this road is in store for a good ol' savings account beatin'   And then what?  Go to sell it (we all sell sooner or later) and wait for someone to come along maybe.........I'm seeing more and more old cars sit unsold. 
Just an observation, it don't make me right.
Mike
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:34:45 pm by MikeBaskette »
"Options are for girls"
I'm going to hell"

Offline CaBossFan

• Needs A Job
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
Mike - The rarest thing to find these days is someone with real money in their pockets!  If you want a Corvette, go out and buy a new one! - Mark

Offline MikeBaskette

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 02:36:02 pm »
Yep........a new one. 
"Options are for girls"
I'm going to hell"

Offline McKeever

• Needs A Job
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 05:24:46 pm »
2 things

1) Never seen a "BRINKS TRUCK" at a funeral  ;D.

2) New Corvette 60K or so. But if going to get one might as well get a Z06, back to number 1.

New Mustang 45K or so, now with 460 HP and IRS.
Owned my BOSS since March 1974.
0F02G154740 Dearborn 1-16-70
Muzzle Installed
Honesty is doing the right thing with a witness.
Integrity is doing the right thing without one

Offline bossneeds

• Needs A Job
  • Life's too short, enjoy every minute!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 05:35:44 pm »
Ya know Mike, some of us are in the same boat. It's kinda circling around, knowing the drain is getting closer. Yeah, it would be really cool to have and old Bronco, another 1970 BOSS 302, and lots of other toys we could buy. But, reality has set in for me that means probably, probably not going to happen. Life is moving on, I've had lots of fun and toys over the past many years, so I am content to drive my new toys. However, that does not mean I won't ever pull the trigger again for the thing I want. Blondes are out, gray hair is out, brunettes maybe, but the Happy Wife is one so I am content there too. Too many choices so choose the right one at the right time. Just my babbling .02. Good luck with the hip and maybe you'll get a leg up on all of us  :D
1967 Tiger MK1-A
1970 Shelby GT350
2013 BOSS 302 LS #712 GO
2016 Shelby GT350 Magnetic blk stripes
2017 GT350R-Magnetic w/white stripes
Wife still Happy, recovering.
Eat WI cheese and bratwurst!