Author Topic: Spring rate question for the brain trust  (Read 2058 times)

Offline amorrow

• Cool Newbie
Re: Spring rate question for the brain trust
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 07:01:18 am »
Just an FYI to anyone ordering, the springs I ordered (part KKX 3285) aren't tapered and don't have liners like the ones pictured and other KK springs described.  So if you're wanting tapered leafs with liners, don't do what I did and only ask for narrow Kar Kraft T/A springs with equal eyelet ends with approximate 210lb rate.

Now out of curiosity, does anyone know what car(s) if any used the 212lb KKX 3285 springs?   

'65 GT350 Clone
'70 T/A-Style Track Car (In-Progress)

Offline MichaelSedlak

• No Life
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 10:33:48 am »
I use the what turned out to be 214 lbs. on my car and love them.  I guess with the tire limitations they put on the vintage cars it aids in throttle steering. 

Offline C5HM

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 11:42:51 am »
Just got my KK spec, 210 # rate springs from Eaton (tapered leaves with nylon pads) . THANKS to all.  I will order up some 800# rate stock car coils for the H&M Galaxie snout when the time comes. I am now retired and living Florida. About 45 minuted West Daytona. Good to be home.  I enjoyed my time in Texas, but Florida was calling me back (that an Texas' crazy property tax rates).

Offline SP_69_FB

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 12:19:28 am »
Hi all, really interesting information - thanks
The KK drawings i have from Danoh include 4 drawings 2 of which detail leaf springs:  drg X-3497-903-13 are 170# 4 leaf with tapered rolled and trimmed ends and liners. The other drg is KKX-???-TAM which is a 7 leaf 245# spring with tapered ends and liners - I see reference above to 210lb Kar Kraft equal eyelet springs part KKX 3285. I did contact Eaton and they came back with basic info i.e. 210# 4 leaf as per original Kar kraft drawing @ $345 each.  i am going to order some rear leaf springs  from Eaton for my 69 T/A (tribute -  street & track) but not sure which to order. any guidance appreciated ! thanks Shane 

Offline TX427Cobra

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 02:05:27 pm »
Just got my KK spec, 210 # rate springs from Eaton (tapered leaves with nylon pads) . THANKS to all.  I will order up some 800# rate stock car coils for the H&M Galaxie snout when the time comes. I am now retired and living Florida. About 45 minuted West Daytona. Good to be home.  I enjoyed my time in Texas, but Florida was calling me back (that an Texas' crazy property tax rates).

Are you ordering the coils from Eaton or where?  I want a stiffer set as well.

Jim

Offline hotrodford

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 08:48:03 pm »
Got these 750's (https://www.mustangsplus.com/1965-1973-Mustang-Race-Coil-Springs-750-s-Grab-A-Trak-R.html) from Mustangs Plus.  They take some cutting to get the car low enough.  Must be well over 850-900 when you get the front end down.

Offline C5HM

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 10:08:19 am »

Are you ordering the coils from Eaton or where?  I want a stiffer set as well.

Jim
Jim, I will be using rear steer style,  stock car coils for the front of my replica...as the car will feature a Holman Moody frame snout. Luckily, those sized coils are still readily available. Not sure how they compare in size to regular Mustang units, though. Sorry.

Offline TX427Cobra

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 04:25:32 pm »
Got these 750's (https://www.mustangsplus.com/1965-1973-Mustang-Race-Coil-Springs-750-s-Grab-A-Trak-R.html) from Mustangs Plus.  They take some cutting to get the car low enough.  Must be well over 850-900 when you get the front end down.

I ordered those same coils thinking the same thing and after cutting them down to my race height they only measured 830.  I need more.

Jim

Offline Danoh1

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 08:12:05 pm »
Mine are more.  I’ll have to dig up where they came from.  Not Mustangs plus, I’m certain. I cut about half a coil or so out.
1970 M code Boss T/A (ala Dano)  link to racecar
HHP