Author Topic: Theft deterrent  (Read 465 times)

Offline 6T9BOSS

• Needs A Job
Theft deterrent
« on: December 06, 2018, 05:41:46 pm »
Hey everyone.. My son is now driving his very modified ( 60's style ) Mustang coupe on a daily basis. Wondering what type of anti-theft system would be good.

Offline IH8GM

Re: Theft deterrent
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:53:12 pm »
"DRIVE IT LIKE IT OWES YOU MONEY!"

Offline 6T9BOSS

• Needs A Job
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:55:50 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline wanaboss 302 69

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 06:00:26 pm »
Back when I was driving a 69 Mustang every day I would put a toggle switch inside the cigarette  lighter and splice the ignition source. Never gave me any problems and at least they would have to work at it. And a good alarm system would be a good move. Never thought about a monkey, good one  :)
1969 boss 302  1 of 1
2008 GT500KR #0426
2003 H.D. Fatboy limited                               1969 boss 302 pro touring

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • My Old Heap
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:12:21 pm »
Hey everyone.. My son is now driving his very modified ( 60's style ) Mustang coupe on a daily basis. Wondering what type of anti-theft system would be good.

A sign that reads "Protected by Smith & Wesson 44 magnum"
<My old heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!

Current lifelong project:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!
Another 'project' in the works!! For now, its top secret...

Offline Clifford

• No Life
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 10:52:44 pm »
The Trunk Monkey is a classic!

A hidden kill switch located inside the interior with a wire running to the one of the small wires on the ignition coil to ground out the coil is always a good and simple suggestion.

It would also be nice to keep any one from opening the hood from the outside. I'm not sure if there is a retro-fit system for a interior cable release hood latch mechanism, but it seems one might be able to make one to fit. Short of that one could easily rig up a simple chain and key lock through holes in the hood inner panel and then around the radiator support or something. Kind of like a chain and keyed pad lock like you use to lock up a bicycle. I once did this on a 1963 Comet. The chain was just long enough that you could raise the hood just enough to get your hands in to unlock the lock but not really do much else. After the chain was the right length I then wrapped electrical tape around the chain so it wouldn't rattle or bang up the paint.

Another way to secure the hood is to install hood pins like a 1969 Mach 1 has, but instead of using clips in the hole in the hood pin use tiny pad locks.

Ford also made a parts and service kit that installs power locks with a key chain fob to operate the locks. I think some of those retro-fit power lock kits might have had an alarm as part of the kit too. Seems like those old kits would show up on eBay from time-to-time. Or maybe a stand alone power lock system could be scrounged off a junk yard car from the 1980-1990s.       
The Big Red Dog

Offline 6T9BOSS

• Needs A Job
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 02:25:45 am »
 We have locks for the hood when he parks at work , and a cut off switch on the battery which he uses

Offline BOSSNCOBRA

• No Life
    • https://imageshack.com/i/f01ThBR9jhttp://http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/bossncobra/media/Canadathefullmoonandmyherd032_zpse351ac7f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=11s1166.photobucket.com/user/bossncobra/slideshow/
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 05:44:21 am »
60 minutes did a special on car thieves,and had 2 guys from NYC trying to steal a Camaro which had 22 anti theft devices on it, they disabled all but the the ignition kill switch hidden under the dash in a matter of seconds. I always had a ignition kill switch and a fuel pump shut off switch hidden.
Head Technical Inspector and Pacecar Driver.
  Lake Erie Speedway
 Nascar Weekly series.{IMG

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • My Old Heap
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 07:26:32 am »
We have locks for the hood when he parks at work , and a cut off switch on the battery which he uses

That is the best reasonable solution. Also, make sure you DO have sufficient insurance coverage just incase it is stolen. Hopefully, this will give you some peace of mind: most thieves are on the lookout for new cars and trucks, not so much on 'older' cars.
<My old heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!

Current lifelong project:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!
Another 'project' in the works!! For now, its top secret...

Offline Gus-SK-Boss

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 09:29:53 am »
I used a kill switch in my center console painted black, then I had a ton of junk in the console that hides the switch.
If you park in a bad area I would take out my rotor, plus switch number 1 spark plug wire with the coil wire. It sounds like it wants to start but it will not. Any thing you can do to slow them down. They want to be gone in 60 second (sorry I couldn't help myself) or less. :D

My favorite is anything that holds bullets. ;D
Gus

Offline 0F02G202911

• Needs A Job
  • Henry Ford III at Peterson
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 10:04:46 am »
Take the coil wire with you (him). Takes 10 seconds.
Gary
70 B302
68 CJ XR-7 GTE

Offline IH8GM

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 04:11:51 pm »
Take the coil wire with you (him). Takes 10 seconds.
I was gonna suggest that but the trunk monkey seemed like the way to go if getting ur ride back is not all that matters - not many car thieves have a spare coil wire!
"DRIVE IT LIKE IT OWES YOU MONEY!"

Offline 1109RWHP

• No Life
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 06:21:02 pm »
Install a GPS tracking device so you can find it if it does get stolen.

Offline 6T9BOSS

• Needs A Job
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 05:03:19 am »
Thanks guys ! Great points everyone. We do have it insured as much as a daily driver can be. Kept all receipts. I like the kill switch idea and coil wire.  Of course the Monkey in the Trunk is best !! LOL ;D

Offline Joe0T02G148942

• No Life
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 06:23:15 am »
 On a daily driver if you can locate an item the we called the Chapman lock. I would use that. I saved my 72' Mustang convertible from being stolen. I did have to replace the left 1/4 window and the ignition cylinder though. It didn't keep the thief out but the ignition kill kept the car from being stolen.

Joe
p.s. there is a company that is called Z-Lock out of L.A.