Author Topic: sales of cars and parts  (Read 528 times)

Offline yyoxxx

• No Life
sales of cars and parts
« on: January 10, 2019, 08:50:22 am »
Wondering what others think when reading a for sale Ad , I'm referring private car and parts purchases and not on this site .

Retail sales for the most part require a cordial whoo to potential customers , some times trying to be your buddy or friend . This is in a effort to get the customer comfortable and trusting.

So many times I see in the private sale world terms like " ask your wife first"  "No tire kickers" " " No time wasters "" No joy rides"
" don't waste my time or yours"

I have purchased many cars over the years , never to flip but rather selling because something more interesting comes along . Parts
it seems is almost a weekly Occurrence , so when I read statements like "ask your wife" ect my response is to pass on the item.

My point:
Am I not allowed to look at the item or ponder if it will work for what I need , am I really wasting your time . Maybe leave it on the road and I will put the cash through the mail slot.

Not a gripe but rather a question . Do you think it really works to insult a person before they even phone you? Yes it will establish that you are a Dick so I guess it is a pre filter for both party's .

Personally I hate to sell but do love to buy "especially project cars" .

Your thoughts ?

Offline 0F02G202911

• Needs A Job
  • Henry Ford III at Peterson
Re: sales of cars and parts
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:29:26 am »
If you want the part or car you'll have to deal with the seller, and it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.
You can choose to remain polite and civil in any case.
Gary
70 B302
68 CJ XR-7 GTE

Offline ex2409pilot

• Needs A Job
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 09:47:26 am »
I don't mind the smart alec comments to maybe weed out the flakes nearly as bad as the guy that has to give you a 1500 word history lesson before he describes the car.  "Well, Lee Iaccoca had this vision and it was called a Mustang"... bla bla bla... all the way through the history of Trans Am...  then describes the car for sale in 10 words... ::)
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Sportsroof  - SCJ - W code - 4 speed - project
1970 Ranchero GT - 429 - C6

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • ^My Old Heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 10:01:40 am »
I don't mind the smart alec comments to maybe weed out the flakes nearly as bad as the guy that has to give you a 1500 word history lesson before he describes the car.  "Well, Lee Iaccoca had this vision and it was called a Mustang"... bla bla bla... all the way through the history of Trans Am...  then describes the car for sale in 10 words... ::)

+1. Darrell, totally agree. Most wheeler dealer pitchmen almost always have to give a 'history lesson' before actually describing the car that IS for sale. I believe they think you don't know, and are trying to 'over sell' the car in my opinion.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Volvo 1800, being converted to Boss 302 power…coming soon!

Offline vintageracer

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 02:53:51 pm »
I drove 40 miles to look at a 2014 Mustang GT last year. The owner pops the hood and tells me about the Boss 302 intake and cold air kit and blah blah blah.
I asked if we could take it for quick drive, he says sure and hops in the drivers seat. Then he tries to impress me with his "rip it up from stop light to stop light skills", I told him to slow down!
Then I ask him if I can drive it back to our meeting spot, he says "what do you plan to offer for it?" I couldn't believe this guy, I'm 58 years old, have bought and sold a few vehicles in that time, and have never bought anything without driving it. When I told him I just started looking and wasn't prepared to make an offer he refused to let me drive it. I wasn't quite sure what to say to the guy after that, it caught me by surprise to be honest. I looked at '13 GT a couple weeks later, that guy had no problem with me driving his car, and I ended up buying it.

Offline CaBossFan

• Needs A Job
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 05:15:31 pm »
I had to fly from Los Angeles to Spokane, WA to look at the BOSS 302 I ended up buying.  The owner and I spent about half a day looking over the car.  When it came time for the test drive, I wanted the owner to drive it first as I wanted to see how he drove the car.  It was November and it was getting quite cold, so I was happy when the owner carefully warmed up the BOSS 302 before opening it up on Highway 395.  The car didn't have a tachometer, but I think he probably got close to 8000 rpm in the first three gears.  When it was my turn to drive the BOSS 302, I didn't drive it as hard as the owner, but was pleasantly surprised to find out how easy it was to shift the transmission, even though the car had a Hurst Super Shifter and a 2600 lb pressure plate.  The owner even commented that he was surprised that I didn't stall the BOSS 302 during my test drive!

I've never bought a car without first test driving it, even when the car was new.  Why would I even buy a new car if I didn't like driving it?

When I was attending UCLA, I had a part-time job at the Bank of America, which was in Beverly Hills, about a mile from Rodeo Drive,  I found out that in general, the people that I met that were well off were very well mannered.  Those that were difficult to deal with usually were trying to pull off some scam and wanted a checking account with a bank with an address in Beverly Hills.  I was the new accounts representative, so I had to be nice to everyone, which was difficult at times, but I needed the job! 

Offline MikeBaskette

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 06:44:33 am »
Like you guys, I've bought and sold a few vehicles over the years.   I see the ads about "wasting time: and "if you have to ask your wife"............those writings don't bother me.    Why?   I approach dealing with the human condition by waking up each morning knowing that people are screwed up.   That way, I don't care and my approach is neutral.

Kill em' with kindness, and, as pops always told me, find out what that person likes and focus on that, if only for a moment.  Works each time to help smooth out wrinkles.

I recently purchased a '68.   The guy was very friendly but his facts were, at best, screwy.   I wanted the vehicle so I let him go on with his diatribe of fake intel while nodding my head.  I figure I'm not there to make a friend but to buy a vehicle.   After a very short inspection I made the offer and we came to a mutual price. 

But, there is always the exception to craziness.   There is a clown on CL that has a factory 4 speed V8 '64 Ranchero, bone stock and I want it.   It has been for sale for two years.   He wants too much but he doesn't adjust the ask.  In fact when the ad time runs out he increases the ask.   Now that is something only a mental health professional can figure out.

People are a pain in the arse, this is why I spend most of my time with my rescue pups.   
At least they appreciate treats and kisses.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:14:05 am by MikeBaskette »
"Options are for girls"
"If cleanliness is next to godliness,
I'm going to hell"

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 08:39:36 am »
Mike,
I can understand the comments "No time wasters", etc on a Craigslist ad. Believe me, more flakes, losers, and tweakers call and want to show up and waste your time. I once had this guy come over to buy a 5.0 engine (of course gives me an insulting offer) then wants to see all of my stuff (that wasn't for sale), and I politely told him no, its time to go. I really think his true intentions were to 'case the joint' and see if I was an easy target. I guess the .38 Colt Cobra in my waste band told him I was not...
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Offline CaBossFan

• Needs A Job
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:26:49 am »
I imagine some of you wouldn't like the seller of the 1969 BOSS 302 in Canada on Craigslist:

69 Boss 302, still in the original paint that is came with from Dearborn Michigan. The engine, transmission, rear end, carburator, distributor, and interior is also as it left the Plant in 1969, all numbers matching the car. This car is rust free as it was well taken care of its entire life. The asking price is 135k US, I will consider one car for trading 2016 - 18 GT350R, with cash to me. I do have the Elite Marty report that is framed. I have owned this car since 1996,
I do not need so-called experts to tell me what I do or don’t have.
Only interested parties that are none tire kickers, and serious buyers get in touch, thank you.

Offline 0F02G202911

• Needs A Job
  • Henry Ford III at Peterson
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 06:12:12 pm »
Makes me want to run right out and buy him a GT-350R because he is such a worthy automotive aficionado.
Yep, takes all kinds.
Gary
70 B302
68 CJ XR-7 GTE

Offline bossneeds

• Needs A Job
  • Life's too short, enjoy every minute!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 08:04:09 pm »
I'll pass.
1967 Tiger MK1-A
1970 Shelby GT350
2013 BOSS 302 LS #712 GO
2016 Shelby GT350 Magnetic blk stripes
2017 GT350R-Magnetic w/white stripes
Wife still Happy, recovering.
BOSS 302's are like a fabulous WI cheddar. Both get better with age and you buy them for your enjoyment, not as an investment.

Offline Clifford

• No Life
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 09:56:38 am »
I imagine some of you wouldn't like the seller of the 1969 BOSS 302 in Canada on Craigslist:

69 Boss 302, still in the original paint that is came with from Dearborn Michigan. The engine, transmission, rear end, carburator, distributor, and interior is also as it left the Plant in 1969, all numbers matching the car. This car is rust free as it was well taken care of its entire life. The asking price is 135k US, I will consider one car for trading 2016 - 18 GT350R, with cash to me. I do have the Elite Marty report that is framed. I have owned this car since 1996,
Only interested parties that are none tire kickers, and serious buyers get in touch, thank you.

This is just my opinion, but I think many people will translate this ad like; I'm taking out this free ad on Craigs List. I've this very nice original and correct 69 Boss 302 Mustang that I've owned since 1996 that I have way less than $35K (Canadian) invested in it. I'm bored with it and I'd like to have something newer to excite me. So either over-pay me with a large pile of cash $135K USD ($180,000 Canadian) for this nice Mustang or I'll take a new GT350R plus a small pile of cash instead. Only contact me if you are a willing and ready buyer who's ready to over-pay me. No tire kickers. I know what I have. I'm not dumb. I didn't take out this free ad for nothing don't you know, eh! Have a nice day!
The Big Red Dog

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 12:20:27 pm »

This is just my opinion, but I think many people will translate this ad like; I'm taking out this free ad on Craigs List. I've this very nice original and correct 69 Boss 302 Mustang that I've owned since 1996 that I have way less than $35K (Canadian) invested in it. I'm bored with it and I'd like to have something newer to excite me. So either over-pay me with a large pile of cash $135K USD ($180,000 Canadian) for this nice Mustang or I'll take a new GT350R plus a small pile of cash instead. Only contact me if you are a willing and ready buyer who's ready to over-pay me. No tire kickers. I know what I have. I'm not dumb. I didn't take out this free ad for nothing don't you know, eh! Have a nice day!

+1.

Offline 6T9BOSS

• Needs A Job
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 02:36:02 am »
What would make anyone think someone who took the time to query your ad is a time waster or tire kicker in the first place ? You all know the effort it takes to just contact people.
How many things have you ever sold where someone took three hours out of their day to just look at a part or car? For me.. None. We either did not agree on the price or it turned out it was not what they were looking for.
There is this guy that has a basic 69 chevy c-10 SB for sale been sitting for over 10 years... wants 5K for it well.. that happens to be the market on running driver c-10's here in Ga. But his wife told him to sell it...so he stuck a price on it.