Author Topic: Just poking my head in to say hello  (Read 667 times)

Offline Joe69

• Cool Newbie
Just poking my head in to say hello
« on: February 24, 2019, 06:04:15 am »
I've owned a 43k mile B1 for several years, but life has gotten in the way of me getting it back on the road. It is in very solid condition, and mostly complete. It was missing a few B1 specific items, but I have collected most of the missing parts over the years.

My goal is to make it drivable in time to make it to the 2019 Boss reunion. The brakes no longer work, due to sitting since '85. It has low hanging headers and header mufflers that are thrashed and leaking. It runs ok, but could use some tuning.

My long term plan is to do basically a "concourse driven" resto on it, with a couple of deviations. The original owner added a rear spoiler, and I'm leaving it on. I'm adding an OEM AM/FM stereo in lieu of the AM. Lastly, I'll put Magnums on it in place of the caps and trim rings.

I've been a member for quite some time, but I hope to start being active here as I start the resto process.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:18:26 am by Joe69 »

67 Fastback
'69 Mach 1
'71 Boss 351

Offline 1owner

• No Life
Re: Just poking my head in to say hello
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 07:40:02 am »
Welcome! What color combo?
Phillip B
9F02G188360

Offline Joe69

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 07:47:23 am »
Dark metallic green/argent stripes with black standard interior.

67 Fastback
'69 Mach 1
'71 Boss 351

Offline svo2scj

• No Life
  • Yeah it's the wrong paint and cap!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 11:20:01 am »
GREAT !!

Yes long time member, PA is on bucket list (as a DROP DATE weekend) !    You should be fine , provided you don't start in July ! 

I know you have weather to deal with now, but in a month should be good to get moving on the repairs.   As you  said "you have some parts" I would use this time focusing specifically on the brake parts need for that repair.

PLAN on having your wheel cylinders, proportioning valve rebuilt ($18) and Caliper kits in your hands this month.  KNOW if you are spending $1000 for correct parts or rebuilding or "replacing" (for safety) hoses etc. 
PROBABLY No need to replace lines - a "driven" car (many in Marysville) focus more on ability to travel safely and have all sorted a month before trip.

When talking about the repairs be specific on the car - you don't mention IF this is a Power Brake car. THAT would suggest while you car rebuilding the Proportioning Valve, have out to Booster Dewey http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/ so you can use your time properly.  (and not do work twice)

Mark
P.S.  I do a car a year (or so) time management (and setting my own time) seems to be the key to production.   I have use the "1 hour a day" everyday style and the 4 days straight (All Holidays -Mem/4th/Labor) 18 hour days and done cars that way.   
Mark Haas
517 861 7630

Offline Joe69

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 03:01:19 pm »
Thanks Mark. It's a PDB, PS car, although the PS pump has been bypassed and is MIA. The hoses to the steering box are looped together. I have a couple of PS pumps and brackets laying around, so that isn't an issue. What I am unsure about, is if the PS cooler is Boss specific. I have a cooler, just not sure if it's correct for a Boss.

There's no way I can do a car a year, I just don't have that kind of time. I've already redone a Mustang in the past, so I'm not exactly a newbie at it. My focus is to have it roadworthy and safe by the reunion, which should be easy.

I have a 1/4 panel cut apart at the moment too. The original owner flared them by an inch or so. I'd like to have that back together too. I started it years ago, but life got in the way. A divorce, new house, and 3 grandchildren later, I'm ready to get back at it.

I'm really excited about this car. It came with a bunch of original paperwork, including the warranty card and window sticker. It's low mileage, and very solid. The trunk floor is the only rust worth talking about. For a Chicago car, that's pretty unusual.

The seller had told me the distributor was missing, but it was in the rear floorboard when I got there, minus the vacuum advance cannister. I picked a nice one up some time back. The carb is still on it and running, but could stand a rebuild.

67 Fastback
'69 Mach 1
'71 Boss 351