Author Topic: Heart Oblation experiences?  (Read 594 times)

Offline Winner70ta

• Needs A Job
Heart Oblation experiences?
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:00:23 pm »
Hey guys, I was diagnosed with afib a couple of years ago and it has caused me some grief off and on during that time.  I am going to have a heart oblation next month which should correct that issue and keep me around much longer.  I have only heard about good experiences from those who have had the procedure.  I have heard of an instance or two where the procedure had to be done twice but that had gone very well.  Anyone here have gone through it?  Getting old is not for wimps!
1970 Grabber Blue Boss 302
2016 Mustang GT Roush Supercharged

Offline MikeBaskette

• PT Group
  • No Life
Re: Heart Oblation experiences?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 04:25:42 pm »
No I haven't.  But, knowing what the Docs can do now to help us live longer is amazing.   You will be on your way.

I do know the importance of proper eating and trying to stay trim and fit.   I no longer eat beef, pork, lamb etc.
Go easy on all breads and pastas.   And stay away from anything with corn syrup.   That stuff is nasty.
Good luck and pray for cute nurses.  If you already eat right then good..........if not, you better.

"Options are for girls"
"If cleanliness is next to godliness,
I'm going to hell"

Offline FIJI_99

• Needs A Job
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 05:32:08 pm »
I’ve worked in the medical device industry for 16 years.  Rates of successful Afib ablation have improved but it can be very difficult to get the pathways so sometime a second procedure is required.  Patients certainly feel much improved if they are able to successfully ablate the pathways.  Are you having an AV node ablation which will leave you pacemaker dependent?
Please register your car:  http://www.boss302.com/boss9reg.htm

KK 1710, family owned when I was a kid...reunited 5/7/2015

Online libuilder

• No Life
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 09:04:39 pm »
I went through an ablation procedure last year.  I went into afib about 10 years ago and had a cardio-version procedure done which kept me afib free until last summer.  To make a long story short, I had two more cardio versions done, the second one of which worked.  However, I did not want to stay on the medicine they gave me, amiodarone, too long as it attacks the nervous system and most other organs and can lead to blindness, among a lot of other things, so I scheduled the cardiac ablation.

It went very smoothly although it took over 5 hours "under the knife".  No real cutting other than a small slit in the groin area.  No pacemaker was inserted but they did insert a "Loop Recorder" right under the skin which records the heart rhythms which are then sent to doctors office by means of a transmitter next to my bed via cell phone connections.  They did not admit me into the hospital, but kept me overnight for observation and I was released the next morning.  So far so good as to the afib.  So much so they took me off the amiodarone and Eliquis, which is no bargain either as to side effects. 

Cardiac ablation can be done more than once.  After two ablations, the chances of stopping afib goes up into the 80 to 90 percent range.  The trick is to find a doc who has about 10 years or so experience with the procedure and has done many hundreds (better still, thousands) of cases.  I went to one of the best and he said mine was a tricky one.  Glad I went with a guy who had the credentials. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:13:30 pm by libuilder »

Offline Winner70ta

• Needs A Job
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 09:01:00 pm »
I’ve worked in the medical device industry for 16 years.  Rates of successful Afib ablation have improved but it can be very difficult to get the pathways so sometime a second procedure is required.  Patients certainly feel much improved if they are able to successfully ablate the pathways.  Are you having an AV node ablation which will leave you pacemaker dependent?

What I am looking at is where the doc comes up the femoral vein to the upper right chamber of the heart.  He will then freeze\burn the nerves.  My afib comes and goes and I am not even aware that it is happening.

Offline Winner70ta

• Needs A Job
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 09:16:52 pm »
I went through an ablation procedure last year.  I went into afib about 10 years ago and had a cardio-version procedure done which kept me afib free until last summer.  To make a long story short, I had two more cardio versions done, the second one of which worked.  However, I did not want to stay on the medicine they gave me, amiodarone, too long as it attacks the nervous system and most other organs and can lead to blindness, among a lot of other things, so I scheduled the cardiac ablation.

It went very smoothly although it took over 5 hours "under the knife".  No real cutting other than a small slit in the groin area.  No pacemaker was inserted but they did insert a "Loop Recorder" right under the skin which records the heart rhythms which are then sent to doctors office by means of a transmitter next to my bed via cell phone connections.  They did not admit me into the hospital, but kept me overnight for observation and I was released the next morning.  So far so good as to the afib.  So much so they took me off the amiodarone and Eliquis, which is no bargain either as to side effects. 

Cardiac ablation can be done more than once.  After two ablations, the chances of stopping afib goes up into the 80 to 90 percent range.  The trick is to find a doc who has about 10 years or so experience with the procedure and has done many hundreds (better still, thousands) of cases.  I went to one of the best and he said mine was a tricky one.  Glad I went with a guy who had the credentials.

I have had a heart loop monitor going on two years now.  Ever since I had a stroke on St. Patrick's Day in 2017.  I had passed out driving home from Columbus, OH a year earlier (almost to the day!) and we are all certain that was dues to the undetected afib. 
The data gathered from the monitor definitely has given the cardiologist great info and thankfully he has done a ton of these procedures.  I was told that there are meds that could be used for treatment but that the body usually adapts to them and other choices need to be made.  I had also been told that the sooner one chooses to have the procedure done the higher success rate.  As you said I should be off of my meds (metoprolol and Lipitor) eventually but since I had a stroke I will be on a blood thinner for the rest of my life.  Very glad to hear that you are doing well!

Offline Winner70ta

• Needs A Job
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 09:18:29 pm »
Thanks fellas for all of your comments!

Online libuilder

• No Life
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 08:31:51 am »
Sounds like you are making the right choice to get the ablation done ASAP.  Best of Luck with your procedure! 

Offline ex2409pilot

• Needs A Job
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:07 am »
Sorry to hear about your situation, winner.  Ten years ago my doc discovered I had what was called a "triple A" which is an acronym for an ascending aortic aneurysm.  Same thing that killed actor John Ritter.  I was lucky as mine was discovered during a routine physical.  Doc said I was within a couple weeks of it busting and no surviving that unless you are maybe in a hospital when it happens.  Ritter wasn't so lucky.  I had open heart surgery to repair the problem and install a mechanical heart valve.  I too take warfarin, 8 milligrams a day, and will for the rest of my life. 

When I woke up from surgery I had 2 or 3 wires coming out of my chest just below my sternum.  I assumed they were where they would hook up the jumper cables if I had a heart attack after the surgery but they may have been placed there in anticipation of the ablation procedure you are getting.  I had afib after surgery and about 5 days latter they took me in to correct it.  All I remember was being put under for a very brief amount of time, maybe 5 minutes, and they delivered a shock through those wires I guess.  It straightened out my afib but still had to take that wicked stuff known as amiodarone for about 6 weeks. Docs can do amazing things nowadays and my bet is you will be fine and likely feel much better after you get the procedure.  Good luck to you!!

As you said getting old ain't for wimps..  I had about 6, what I would call close friends, in high school.  Four of them are already dead and the other two both have cancer.  One with prostate the other with melanoma.  At 65, I am feeling pretty lucky when you look at the big picture.
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Sportsroof  - SCJ - W code - 4 speed - project
1970 Ranchero GT - 429 - C6

Offline Clifford

• No Life
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 05:53:26 pm »
Getting old is not for wimps!

Getting old might not be for wimps, however the real issue happens when you stop aging altogether. Best wishes on your upcoming procedure.

Let us know how it goes.
The Big Red Dog

Offline FIJI_99

• Needs A Job
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 04:31:22 pm »
Sorry to hear about your situation, winner.  Ten years ago my doc discovered I had what was called a "triple A" which is an acronym for an ascending aortic aneurysm.  Same thing that killed actor John Ritter.  I was lucky as mine was discovered during a routine physical.  Doc said I was within a couple weeks of it busting and no surviving that unless you are maybe in a hospital when it happens.  Ritter wasn't so lucky.  I had open heart surgery to repair the problem and install a mechanical heart valve.  I too take warfarin, 8 milligrams a day, and will for the rest of my life. 

When I woke up from surgery I had 2 or 3 wires coming out of my chest just below my sternum.  I assumed they were where they would hook up the jumper cables if I had a heart attack after the surgery but they may have been placed there in anticipation of the ablation procedure you are getting.  I had afib after surgery and about 5 days latter they took me in to correct it.  All I remember was being put under for a very brief amount of time, maybe 5 minutes, and they delivered a shock through those wires I guess.  It straightened out my afib but still had to take that wicked stuff known as amiodarone for about 6 weeks. Docs can do amazing things nowadays and my bet is you will be fine and likely feel much better after you get the procedure.  Good luck to you!!

As you said getting old ain't for wimps..  I had about 6, what I would call close friends, in high school.  Four of them are already dead and the other two both have cancer.  One with prostate the other with melanoma.  At 65, I am feeling pretty lucky when you look at the big picture.

Those wire were likely temporary pacing wires.  If you were cardioverted it was either through an ICD you have implanted or through an AICD which is an external defibrillator using pads.  AAA is really tough, had a patient I was close to pass due to AAA.  You were lucky they caught it!
Please register your car:  http://www.boss302.com/boss9reg.htm

KK 1710, family owned when I was a kid...reunited 5/7/2015

Offline bossneeds

• Needs A Job
  • Life's too short, enjoy every minute!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 05:16:49 pm »
Those wires can be used to monitor the heart. When our son had his four open heart surgeries, he had wires each time. They simply pull them out when they no longer need them. Fast, doesn't hurt.

Hope everything work great for you. Remember, the medical practices get better by the minute. Today a heart operation is like getting an oil change at a reputable place.
1967 Tiger MK1-A
1970 Shelby GT350
2013 BOSS 302 LS #712 GO
2016 Shelby GT350 Magnetic blk stripes
2017 GT350R-Magnetic w/white stripes
Wife still Happy, recovering.
BOSS 302's are like a fabulous WI cheddar. Both get better with age and you buy them for your enjoyment, not as an investment.

Offline ex2409pilot

• Needs A Job
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 12:03:36 pm »
Thanks guys.  I was very lucky.  Wife literally saved my life staying after me to get a check up.  Had no ill effects prior to discovery.  Never forget the guy that gave me the cat scan saying "don't go home and be moving any refrigerators this weekend".

After thinking more about it, I believe they did put some kind of pads on me to do the shock thing.  I never remember them using the wires in my chest, at least when I was awake.  Probably used them when I was in the ICU and intubated after surgery. 
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Sportsroof  - SCJ - W code - 4 speed - project
1970 Ranchero GT - 429 - C6

Offline Winner70ta

• Needs A Job
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 09:40:40 pm »
I had the procedure done last Thursday.  The doc, I am told by my wife and brother, was pretty pleased with how it went.  My understanding was that he electrically burnt the nerves, not the freeze type.  Went up both sides of my groin plus there was an insertion of something in my left underside wrist.  I was tender (understandably) in some areas but things are going well.  I will have to wait 3 months to be evaluated to determine if the afib is gone (I have a loop recorder in my chest that was put in when first diagnosed) and then hopefully I can get off some of these meds.
Oh, and I got to experience having a condom catheter, which was a heck of a lot better than having the real deal inserted!
-Bob

Online Mike G.

• Needs A Job
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 05:08:59 am »
Glad to hear you re doing well Bob. Speedy, full recovery is in order! Mike G.