Author Topic: Body Shop Lost Fender Apron VINs - Options?  (Read 849 times)

Offline Texas71Boss

Body Shop Lost Fender Apron VINs - Options?
« on: May 18, 2019, 01:39:57 pm »
I'm a new owner to a 1971 Boss 351. The prior owner bought it as a trade-in in 1976 and owned it the last 43 years. It has been his baby but unfortunately the rust worm attacked the front frame of the car and floor pan. I took it to a "restoration shop" and was advised to replace the entire front end to include floor pan, firewall, cowl, fender aprons, shock towers, radiator support, cross members, etc.

the strategy was to cut out the partial VINs on both fender aprons and transfer them to the new metal. We completed documentation with the local auto theft division of the sheriff's department and had permission to conduct same.

The car has completed fabrication and was transferring to the body department of the restoration center when I requested to inspect the work. I noticed the vins had not been transferred. In a panic the owner and his staff went throughout the shop but could not find the old components. The assumption is they were accidentally thrown in the waste container and are gone.

I've made phone calls all over the country trying to find a solution. Kevin Marti used to stamp the fender aprons with proper documentation but no longer provides the service.

So, my question to the community is, how much value did I just lose in the car and are there any other options?

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • ^My Old Heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!
Re: Body Shop Lost Fender Apron VINs - Options?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 02:13:44 pm »
Value lost? Quite a bit, unfortunately. That said, you DO have the documentation of the inner panel replacement, so no worries on a 're-body' dispute. Make sure your dash/windshield VIN IS still present. Sounds like you 'may' have some legal recourse against the 'restoration shop' for a reduction in value. Just my opinion, hopefully others may chime in.
Current lifelong project:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Offline B1n71

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 03:52:04 pm »
Wow, that would really piss me off if it were my car! Sounds like a really poorly managed shop. What shop in Texas was that? I live in Houston and would like to know it didn’t happen near me!

Sorry that happened to you. You should contact Rick Ybarra re your VIN. He tracks all our cars and has written a book about the Boss 351.

boss351book@gmail.com

Offline Texas71Boss

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 07:54:44 am »
Found a source that sells the VIN stamps with correct font here:
https://restostamps.com/collections/67-69-mustang-cougar-torino-etc/products/stage-1-number-kit-0-9-star-stamp-and-any-2-letters-you-need

Will require the two stars that can be bought here:
www.mcmaster.com/star-stamps

The McMaster part number for the 3/16" star is 1574T247. The 1/8" star is 1574T145.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:26:20 am by Texas71Boss »

Offline rickmustang

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 08:32:00 am »
I would never purchase a Boss without fender VINs, so restamp or revalue is in order IMO.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:10:23 pm by rickmustang »

Offline hotrodford

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 10:21:57 am »
Highly unlikely that the "McMaster" star will duplicate the "Ford" star.  The Ford star is rather unique.