Author Topic: '70 B302 on ebay  (Read 817 times)

Offline Jmg63

'70 B302 on ebay
« on: June 11, 2019, 02:16:53 pm »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Ford-Mustang/143283529902?hash=item215c5d28ae:g:uC0AAOSwEJZc-E1k&vxp=mtr

Been popping in every once in a while.  The 'itch' is back and may need to get scratched.  This is / was on Craigslist in the SF Bay area last month and caught my eye.

There are a few things my novice eyes can pick out: rollbar, hose covers, coil, wires, not sure of shaker base.

So, with you highly knowledgeable folks and eagle eyes what do you see, and think about this car?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline 1NiceBoss

• One Off the Bucket List
Re: '70 B302 on ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 04:03:11 pm »
Jeff,

At quick glance there are so many high dollar items other than what you have already noticed especially under the hood that are missing if that is important to you:

Smog Pump
Distributor
Rev Limiter
Snorkel and heat tube/exhaust manifold duct cover
Original Carb
Plastic conduit covering the wire harnesses
Chrome tower braces and cross brace
Hood pins

The fender aprons by the shock towers on both sides look like a bag full of walnuts which would indicate a possible rust situation.
More importantly there are no pics of the bottom either...undercoating on one of these is not a good thing unless you are prepared to remove it. Ebay allows 24 pics so there's no reason they couldn't have posted some.

It's always wise to take someone knowledgable about B2's with you to inspect this car before bidding on Ebay. Unless you have already done so, you are running out of time.

Best of luck,

Marty
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 04:10:03 pm by 1NiceBoss »
Live everyday like it may be your last...You just don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Offline Clifford

• No Life
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 05:23:16 pm »
Just from my view of the eBay pictures I see the following issues: Air cleaner snorkle, chrome cross bar in engine compartment, no picture of the rear end and no picture of the inside trunk or might or might not be in it like spare tire and jack, I'm no expert but I question if that is the factory stamping on the rear of the block, and if it isn't then is it the original block?, funky looking hood pins, non-stock steering wheel, has rear window louvers which are not listed on the factory invoice, polished valve covers and can't tell if they are the original BOSS 302 valve covers or aftermarket, chrome fender bolts, chromed radiator upper bracket, chromed export bracket, non-original voltage regulator, non-original distributor, chromed shock absorber upper bracket, rev limiter?, no nut on the stud of the mid-plate of the shaker assembly, non-original starter solenoid, non-stock radiator cap, black paint on the shaker looks a little too shiny from what I see in the pictures.

Vehicle is listed on eBay under auction #143283529902, seller: camaroman2002 (???), Fairfield, California, a "no reserve" auction ending 6/12/2019.

Listed on Sacramento Craigs List with an asking price of $51,000. 

Discription in the eBay ad lists the following:
Your are bidding on a REAL documented 1970 boss 302  Matching numbers, Marti works report original sales invoice, protecto plate, and partial build sheet, its a clean title and has been in the sf bay area most if not all of its life, the lines are all straight and doors and windows open and close well, the trans shifts smooth and has no issures This is a Manual steering car , i have all receipts of what ive done to the car and some stuff from the previous owner , i not 100 percent on the miles but was told it has around 50k on a rebuild , doesnt burn oil,NO RESERVE! but since i have it for sale local i reserve the right to sell outright, the car has original rust free floors, quarters, and trunk pan it was undercoated and shows its age, but is a real nice straight car,with 1 re-paint of its original color its a very nice driver but not a show car , i do NOT have the original carburator , coil, rev limiter and some chrome was added, other than that it retails the original engine, trans( top loader wide ratio) and rear end, the gears were changed out by the previous owner for more freeway friendly driving maybe 323s or 350s? but i do have the Original 391 posi trac to go with the car, the interior is in nice conditon no rips or tears and has a new dash, all guages work including the factory tach, a roll bar was added and was done well , it has NEW suspension up front upper and lower control arms with new bushings and new springs, also New corbra tires on all 4 corners , a new 670 holley carburator with a brand new MSD billet distributer all done in the last 500 miles, the car runs and drives good but could use some fine tunning on the carb, it starts well and doesnt overheat at all, ive had the car for about a year and only can tell you what ive done to it , does have good options and for me its just time to move on to another project since i have to many classics at this point with no room, EBAY sets a limit on pictures so if you want to see more of the underside email me and i will send them ASK ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU BID! I WILL ANSWER THEM TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE please keep in mind this is a 50 year old car with a older restoration before i got it and it is sold as is but is a very collectable car that will only increase in value, DO NOT BID UNLESS YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT THE CAR AND HAVE THE FUNDS BUYER TO PAY SHIPPING COST AND $1000.00 DEPOSIT DUE WITHIN 3 DAYS END OF AUCTION

Seller suggests car has spent its whole life on S.F. area and Marti report says original dealer was Columbus, Ohio. I read the VIN off the Marti Report as 0F02G190006.

The seller, camaroman2002 uses the term "protecto plate" which is not a Ford term, its a GM term, which I can only assume he means it has its original VIN sticker on the body. But what he actually means by this needs to be explained further.

As the sellers description says the front suspension has been replaced including the springs. Replaced with what springs I wonder? Its a little hard to tell from the seller's pictures, but I'm not sure how well this car is really sitting on its suspension. Maybe I'm just used to seeing early Mustangs lowered on their suspension too much.

The Big Red Dog

Offline CaBossFan

• Needs A Job
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 05:52:05 pm »
Even thought the original invoice shows that this BOSS 302 was equipped with a shaker hood, the one that is now on the car appears to be too high to be an original shaker base.

Offline bossneeds

• Needs A Job
  • Life's too short, enjoy every minute!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 07:57:28 pm »
I understand the appeal of this car, but it needs too much in my opinion. Like the others have said, it is missing many of the higher dollar parts that make it correct. If you don't care about those parts, this might be a nice car.

Here's the two things that bug me about cars listed like this. 1) I don't have the car in front of me and with the obvious missing parts, what else is missing that we don't see? 2) Any seller that knows how to use the upper case key, but doesn't use it it for "I", will never sell me a car, a boat, a disco suit, or especially, cheese!
Idiots, all of them!
1967 Tiger MK1-A
1970 Shelby GT350
2013 BOSS 302 LS #712 GO
2016 Shelby GT350 Magnetic blk stripes
2017 GT350R-Magnetic w/white stripes
Wife still Happy, recovering.
BOSS 302's are like a fabulous WI cheddar. Both get better with age and you buy them for your enjoyment, not as an investment.

Offline pcunder

• PT Group
  • Go Cowboys..!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:23:05 pm »
I'm no expert on VIN stamps on blocks but that is the most structured, symmetrically spaced stamping I've ever seen. They seem a bit larger than 1/4" high and just a bit too perfect from what I've seen.

Strange that a perfect pic of an awkwardly placed VIN is taken but he can't take one of a sheet of paper laying on a table in front of him, the Marti report.

Seems like about $10k too much for me and maybe more questions raised that answers given. But for a $40k driver, I could live with it.

Still, a shaker, 3.91s, tach, & a roll bar sure make for a lot of red-blooded American fun.
Calypso Coral looks better on 69s, IMHO.   
66 Mustang-A  Emberglo GT Fastback 4-spd, AC, C8AM, 9", Konis
69 Mustang-G  Blue Shelby tribute, modified, 3.50-TL/CR, resto
70 Mustang-G  Lime Metallic, #2 owner, 3.50/WR, Paxton, repaint
D1ZE block, steel 289 crank, TA rods, Clevor top; need Ford car

Offline Jmg63

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 10:05:59 am »
Knew I could count on the more knowledgeable folks here to guide a novice thru this.

Appreciate the feedback - car is gone so I guess someone decided they needed it.

Jeff

Offline 1NiceBoss

• One Off the Bucket List
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 03:07:43 pm »
Jeff,

I think you made a wise choice by letting this one go. There are B2's out there that are much nicer for the money or a few dollars more.
Patients and diligence are the key to finding the right one.....

Good luck

Marty
Live everyday like it may be your last...You just don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Offline Clifford

• No Life
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 05:52:45 pm »
I think you made a wise choice by letting this one go. There are B2's out there that are much nicer for the money or a few dollars more.
Patients and diligence are the key to finding the right one.....

No used car is perfect. (1969 or 1970 BOSS or other 50 year old car.) Currently this car is still listed on the Craigs List.

It is not wise to buy any used vehicle without what the current pricing guide/guides have to say. Without looking or having it looked at, actually knowing what it there, what the current condition of what is there, knowing what is missing and the price of the missing parts are going to cost you. 

If you are going to buy a vehicle for over $10,000 it is wise money spent to fly out and review it first. 

The pictures that are lacking for this car, underside and trunk would be a concern for me. This may be a very good car, but further investigation is really required. If you are really interested try contacting the guy through Craigs List and go from there.
The Big Red Dog

Offline Clifford

• No Life
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 09:32:49 am »
I'm no expert on VIN stamps on blocks but that is the most structured, symmetrically spaced stamping I've ever seen. They seem a bit larger than 1/4" high and just a bit too perfect from what I've seen.

The VIN stamping on the back of the block is a concern to me. I agree it does not look like an assembly plant stamping in size or location. It is possible that this vehicle has a replacement block done under warranty by a Ford dealer back in the day and the mechanic doing the replacement stamped the new replacement block with the same number that was on the original block. But whoever stamped the numbers it looks like they simply used the rear edge of the block to align the stamps for the stamping. In selling this car today and to go to the effort to show this block stamping and not show (nor mention) the casting number and date casting on the block would be a major concern that I would want cleared up first. One of the key issues in buying a 1969 or 1970 BOSS 302 Mustang is what engine is in the car. Is it the original block, a service replacement block, or some other low performance 302 engine block?

Though it may not be possible to look inside the engine to see what is there one can read the casting and date numbers on the outside of the engine castings and see what you are starting with. If it isn't an original block or a D1 service casting block this would have a major affect on the price of the car.

I think this BOSS has great potential and it is a car you can get in and drive right away. Its not like its a car that needs restoration and that it will sit waiting for repair, body work, or paint before you can drive it. Assuming it has a correct BOSS 302 engine the only issues I see (other than the rear end gear swap) are simple bolt-ons that anyone with simple hand tools can do themselves. This is a BOSS Mustang you can drive and update as you go. The chromed bolt-on parts. if removed and replaced, can be resold. Other than the roll bar this car seems to only need bolt-on corrections. If you keep this car as a driver and plan to run it on a race track then maybe you'd want to keep the roll bar. If you like this color then in my opinion this is a BOSS that is worth taking a serious look at it.

The seller ended the eBay auction early, but it is still up on Craigs List. The seller had it listed as a "no reserve" auction and it was up in the $46,000 range when I last looked-in on it. I don't know if the eBay money being offered was real bids or if the person/people doing it had no intention of following through. Or maybe the eBay seller just didn't want to pay all the fees. But it was a no reserve auction and the seller would have been required to follow through on whatever the final price came to be if the auction was let run to final conclusion. 

The Craigs List ad is still active and it has an asking price of $51,000. I can only assume it is still available.

If this car still has all its original body panels then in my opinion it would be worth looking at in person and for anyone to take it seriously. The seller wants to sell. If anyone is a buyer really looking to buy a 1970 BOSS Mustang then go take a serious look at it.   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:47:53 am by Clifford »
The Big Red Dog