Author Topic: Door Window Issue  (Read 459 times)

Offline xler8ion

• Cool Newbie
Door Window Issue
« on: August 20, 2019, 02:34:28 pm »
I've got one of those "i have never heard of that before" issue with both door windows regarding the outer beltline lack of contact with the glass. I have a 69 B2 Eliminator so for the purposes of the issue it is a standard coupe. I have had some door window water leakage issues for some time that I have been managing attributed to original beltline outer felts that were deteriorated in areas mostly near the door handles. This summer I had the typical window to bracket detachment issue on the driver side so I removed the window cleaned and reglued the brackets on. I also removed the glass runs, guides, etc and inspected them as well as cleaned them. Put in new regulator that I will provide some tangential info later and reassembled. I adjust the glass...tilt...front to back..and level which are the only 3 adjustments and have the glas sitting in the top weather strip perfectly, in the vertical chrome with weather strip to quarter glass perfectly sealed. I purchased new and proper beltline kits and installed them on the driver side to discover that the outer beltline felt does not touch the glass at any point along the door when the window is rolled up as that is the only time it matters. I have measured my stock beltline bulbs and felt and they are marginally less than the new ones due to wear. I have obtained the manufacturers blueprints for the outer beltline and the new ones are accurate. So I removed the passenger side stock set worn and deteriorated and placed the new ones on that side. Same issue but not as much gap between the felt and glass as the drivers side but a gap nonetheless so these are useless to stop any water. Before anyone chimes in about the bottom run tilt needs to be adjusted that adjustment affects the top of the glass most and decreases to nearly nothing at the bottom. I knew this but tested it anyway by putting the run adjustments at the extremes just to be satisfied. No effect of the full up position of the window relative to the outside beltline. The issue is that the glass when fully up is not positioned within the door channel or opening far enough outside to contact the felt. The guides on the run are mated properly to the bracket and the run has no adjustment to the outside or inside of the door on the top. All 4 runs are fine. So it is clear that even with the original beltlines the felt was not sealing either door. The bracket glass channel where the glass is glued does not provide the answer as it is barely, by thousandths larger than the width of the glass. I have talked to window places, cougar places, the beltline manufacturer and refer to my initial statement in first sentence as the answer. The bottom of the glass must be moved to the outside to contact the felt but this is a dimension set by the bolted run at the top and the bracket guides and neither have any issues and again BOTH sides have the issue. The brackets are not bent the guides slide smoothly on the runs. But for this issue the function and fit of the glass is fine. SO somebody has to have had this issue with a 69 but I havent found them yet. Also I am second owner since 76. Knew first owner. Car doors never hit do not see any anomalies in door skins anywhere.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
Re: Door Window Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 06:55:16 pm »
Where does the water leak? Into the vehicle? Or out the bottom of the door?

Car doors are not waterproof sealed. They are designed to accept water in and drain the water out the bottom of the door outside of the vehicle.

Offline xler8ion

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 09:21:40 pm »
The leakage was and will be past the outside beltline into the bottom of the door. Granted they are obviously not waterproof but the beltline is there to prevent water streaming unabated down the window into the door whether the source is washing or rain.

Offline 10w30dna

• www.428cobrajetcars.homestead.com
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 01:09:18 pm »
My suggestion is to get and use a Ford factory shop manual. They explain the adjustment of “tumblehome” and fore/aft adjustments,as well as in/out and the order in which they should be done. When correctly adjusted the door glass at front will contact the w/strip and as the door closes wil “zip” up the w/strip. I leave the striker off until glass fits correctly.The door must fit the body first and then follow the book. They made millions like it and can be done. Not sure I helped,but tried.
 I was Ford dealer tech for 43 years and worked on the ‘66/up under warranty........water leaks included ;)