Author Topic: Planning on making a T/A inspired car out of my ‘70  (Read 286 times)

Offline BoulevardofRustedDreams

Planning on making a T/A inspired car out of my ‘70
« on: September 11, 2019, 09:46:31 am »
I apologize if this goes long-winded. I have a 70 fastback mostly stripped I acquired from a friend. I’ve tried to get some input in other places but usually just had snobby replies. The car is pretty rough, that can’t be denied. Right now I’m working on toe boards, floor supports, then will be replacing everything forward of the firewall. It’s not an ideal project and worse than anything I’ve restored previously but I became attached to the thing and I’d rather spend a year replacing sheet metal than see it crushed by someone without the enthusiasm. My goal for the project is a streetable car that I can drive daily from time to time but closely replicates the #15 car. I’m not worried about originality given the shape of the car and my goal is fun. I’m mostly looking for suspension advice and frame reinforcement. I plan to race the car some locally including likely some autoX. I’m installing the frame to tower reinforcements and the shocktower reinforcement kit once the new frame rails are in place. I plan to full cage the car. I’ve got a couple ideas in my head right now for it. I’m wanting to run a roof hoop with a pillar bars running down into the floor and considering running off that through the firewall to the frame rails, maybe even up to the front crossmember below the radiator core. I’m not sure what room I have after suspension for that though. To keep the car useful for family purposes, I’m keeping the front and fold down seat. The plan in my head now is run my bar from the roof hoop down to the passenger side floor for the main hoop. This should allow access for my kid to the passenger side rear seat and not put a bar in his face to risk hitting in an accident. I would not want anyone sitting behind the driver seat due to the bar for safety. I’d also like to run the rear bars off the sides of the fold down and into the truck floor tied to the frame rails behind the taillight panel. Additional bars of course but this would be the basic structure that would hopefully keep the passenger space useful. I’m open to input as well. I’m not trying to meet a particular class for racing as it’s not the primary purpose of the car. For suspension I’m planning on Shelby drop and looking at open tracker for the front. Rear I’m on the fence between 4.5 mid leafs and possibly cal-tracs or if I want to look at a 4 link setup. What would you guys recommend that would be better for the track purposes? I’ve had a hard time finding definitive feedback in this area? I also ordered the Boss 302 chassis/suspension manuals. Outside of that, subframes, etc what other areas should I look at reinforcing as I go? I’m replacing floors hopefully by early spring and working my way to the rear of the car so plenty of opportunity. I just don’t have anyone local to get advice from who runs a car like this hard. I’m going to be doing flared wheels, and I’m also looking into the nose drop idea as well. I will also be making functional cooling ducts for the brakes. Haven’t decided on a brake setup yet either but hopefully that will be around spring time as well. 

Offline Danoh1

• PT Group
  • No Life
Re: Planning on making a T/A inspired car out of my ‘70
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 04:32:40 pm »
Welcome.  Tall order to make a dual purpose car that doesn’t suck at both.

Here’s my recipe for your success:
Stock brakes are fine.  I used stock front disks and galaxy rear drums for years.  No problem slowing down from 140.  Once I got up to 150 mph, I needed bigger brakes.

Nose drop - not worth it for a dual purpose car.  Tons of work.  Little value.  Do the Shelby mod but drop an inch and a half. That’s what I did.  My car sits exactly the same as the TA cars. 

Fronts suspension - open tracker stuff for everything.  Non adjustable gas shocks.  Adjustable is great!  But costs a lot and not worth the cost unless a dedicated race car.  I used KYB shocks for 15 years. No issues, and they were as good or better than the Koni shocks I tried for one weekend.

Rear suspension - staggered rear shocks, Fays 2 watts link. Your done.

Subframe connectors - yes. 

Cal tracks or under riders, not needed.

Engine - don’t build a Boss 302.  Build a 351W with Cleveland heads.  Stroker kit, roller cam, dual plane intake, modify for priority main oiling, Armando road race pan, BIGGEST oil cooler you can find, remote filter and oil accumulator. This will give you 14-16 qts of oil. 

Roll cage and kids.  Bad idea.  Buy very good dental insurance.  Or, make your cross brace removable.  Real race cars have a complicated hoop/halo and many bars.  Pretend racecar can have a main hoop, forward and rear braces and a removable cross brace. Think of a drag race 6 point system, but make the cross brace a diagonal bar with a horizontal for your belts.  Make this entire piece removable with bolts, not quick release pins. Or, just do away with the cross bars all together.

Stick to a mechanical fuel pump, but a new carb, best radiator and fan set up you can get.  Use a GPS speedo, and all new gauges.  all new wiring harness.  Can use a race car 8 circuit, as you need headlights and wipers. 

To race, you will most likely need a fuel cell.  Which is a PITA on a street car.  To solve, you spend big dollars on a drop in stock style fuel tank with a race bladder. Or you buy a circle track fuel cell and put it in place of the stock tank.  Refill by opening your trunk.

Enjoy!
1970 M code Boss T/A (ala Dano)  link to racecar
HHP

Offline Danoh1

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 04:44:03 pm »
After re-reading your manifesto, I see no plans to sit in the rear area.  So remove all the rear seat crap, and build a solid shelf, like an R model 65 Shelby.

You could build in a halo that ran bars along the A pillar and not have cross bars in the door area.  However, this is really, really hard to do without cutting the roof off and re-welding it on.  You really can’t do a proper set up with a headliner.  But you can do a single hoop, tied to the rear as you described and forward bars extending forward towards the A pillar then down.  This all has to be mocked up, then you drop the hoop down through the rear floor before you replace it to weld the bars to the main hoop.  If you do the floors first, really hard to install the cage.  But as I’ve described, you can retain a headliner. 
HHP

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 04:49:14 pm »
Thanks for the input. I need to draw up the idea i have in my head for the cage. I do like the removable bar idea though. I want to run 4pnt belts for both front seats and find a way to put a 3pnt in the back for my kid. I haven’t decided a base block but do plan on a hot striker. I’d actually been leaning toward a 331 but that’s well enough aways to decide later. Tranny wise I’m also in debate. 4spd or modernize with a 6spd. No clue on that route yet. Does anyone have a CAD file or at least a print for the shocktower reinforcement plates or frame to tower plates? I’ve not had much luck and if I can get CAD or get a print to make CAD I can laser cut them and save a few bucks.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator

Offline 1109RWHP

• No Life
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 05:28:09 pm »
To stiffen it up a little more you can go with the one piece seat riser like what was used in a convertible.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/dynacorn-seat-platform-one-piece-coupe-fastback-1969-1970/p/3647YJ/

Or you can put convertible inner rockers in it witch might not be a bad idea if your are bad then use a convertible seat riser.
The 6 speed it overkill in my opinion. A five speed is nice because you have overdrive for street use.

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 05:41:29 pm »
I agree with the one piece risers so much I actually already ordered some lol. I also will say I don’t “like” a 6spd. I prefer a 4 or 5. I’m looking to make around 500-525fwhp with whatever engine I go with and i do drive spirited. I’ve only had T5s before and i broke several behind a 393 stroker in my ‘66 both bangshifting and hard shifting while letting out of the go pedal on the strip. I know the T5 is much weaker than some others but I do know the old toploaders can take a thrashing without care.

Offline 1109RWHP

• No Life
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 05:44:47 pm »
Go with a Tremec 3650 out of a 2001 to 2004 Mustang Gt.

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

Right on the home page.

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 05:57:58 pm »
Keep in mind that "haters are going to hate." Sounds like you have had some of that already. Good luck. Buy the drawing set from Danoh.
John
Facebook, hmmmmm. To Serve Man.....it was a cook book.
Beware of things that are free, If a company or service actively and aggressively pursues you to be a part of their customer base, then you are not that companies "customer". You are the product that company is selling.

2010 Mustang GT Red Candy Metallic
1970 BOSS 302 Mustang Lime Green Metallic
1969 1/2  BOSS 302 Mustang Calypso Coral
1962 Porsche 356B-T6 Silver-Black interior (It's a Porsche that is what they should be.)

Offline 67GT500

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 08:17:28 pm »
Do not use a stock 3650 , my son's 204 Mach 1 makes 357 rear wheel horsepower and has broken 4 stock 3650s .

Offline Danoh1

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 09:51:48 pm »
6 speed won’t fit under stock tunnel. 4 speed is fine.  You only use gear in auto cross.  3 on a road course.

5 speed is cool for your street car time. 

If you build a 450 HP Clevor motor that runs on pump gas, you will thank me later.  No replacement for displacement. 1.1 hp per cubic inch is more affordable and lasts longer than 1.5...or 2..

If you build a 450 hp 8.2 deck Boss  motor....you will need race gas.  And a fat wallet.  And rebuild it every 25-30 hours. 
HHP

Offline SP_69_FB

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 11:29:46 pm »
Does anyone have a CAD file or at least a print for the shocktower reinforcement plates or frame to tower plates? I’ve not had much luck and if I can get CAD or get a print to make CAD I can laser cut them and save a few bucks.

You can download Solid Edge 2D Drafting from Siemens PLM Software for free. I use this and send my car parts drawings for laser cutting.

Offline 1109RWHP

• No Life
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 08:17:09 pm »
This is what I started with. Your car sounds like it's twin,Rusty.

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 08:29:35 pm »
This is what I started with. Your car sounds like it's twin,Rusty.

Yours looks show ready compared to mine lol. I think I’ll enjoy it that much more when done but I’m already having nightmares of spotwelds. Hoping to get the full floors and transition pan ordered pretty soon too. I haven’t quite figured out picture posting yet

Offline 1109RWHP

• No Life
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 08:49:56 pm »