Author Topic: New shift boot for hurst shifter cars  (Read 1360 times)

Offline brightgoldboss

• No Life
New shift boot for hurst shifter cars
« on: September 20, 2019, 08:21:14 am »
     I want to caution everyone after hearing about the Fitment of the repro. shift boots.  It seems as the boot is very ridged & my concern is that if the boot is Not allowing the shifter to stay Exactly where it belongs in 4th. gear, you could be putting considerable wear on the 4th. gear Shift Fork as you drive.
    When the toploader is held in gear by it's detent, the fork has very little running clearance in the center of the syncro. Sleeve.  Any force, or influence against the detent, [ like shifter, boot, linkage ect. ]  can easily cause the fork to Rub against the sleeve as you drive, wearing mostly, the fork.
     69 & up, our cars have Very weak detents dew to cost reduction changes in manufacturing.
  You may want to modify the boot to eliminate this condition, as some owners have experienced a pop-out of 4th. gear while driving.  I also supply a replacement bolt that will add new life to worn 3rd, & 4th. gear detents, witch I highly recommend.
                                                Jimmy
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:04:00 pm by brightgoldboss »

Offline Bossssssss

• No Life
Re: New shift boot for hurst shifter cars
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 08:32:15 am »
+1

Offline Boss980

• No Life
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 06:29:58 am »
I also supply a replacement bolt that will add new lift to worn 3rd, & 4th. gear detents, witch I highly recommend.
Sorry if I missed this information earlier But could I get more information about this "replacement bolt" you are speaking of?
Many Thanks

Offline brightgoldboss

• No Life
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 07:37:19 am »
        After learning that so many owners of the 68 - 73 4 spd. cars had problems with their shifters staying in 3rd. gear, and after understanding just where their problem came from, I decided to supply a replacement bolt that could solve the issue, quick & easy.
      Looking at the trans. from the driver side you see where the shift lever bosses protrude from the maincase, & the levers & linkage attach.  In between the forward [ 3&4 ] lever, and the middle [ reverse ] you will find a 9/16ths. hex bolt.  This bolt can be removed & replaced with the one I have produced to compensate for a moderately worn 3rd. - 4th. gear detent, resulting in a more positive hold in the selected gears.
      Procedure.........Remove bolt, remove spring,  thread new bolt in case being sure it goes all the way in EASILY, without force !  You will need some good light under there, & a .002 feeler gage is helpful to know it is all the way flush.  [ If it gets tight at the end, Stop, you need to run a 3/8ths.-16 tap in the hole.  It will not take much, just 1 turn  if  you have a bottoming tap, maybe 2 turns, if you don't ]  You can suck out any chips with a vac., just be careful  if you suck the pointed detent out, it will go right back in.  Clean the threads of any oil, replace spring, put some sealer on the threads of the new bolt, tighten.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 05:51:42 pm by brightgoldboss »

Offline brightgoldboss

• No Life
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 07:48:27 am »
      If you do take out the pointed detent, either with a vacuum or a magnet, you will notice one point worn, put it back in the opposite way so you are now using the unworn side.
       Bolts are $7.50 each, 2 for $ 11.     
                                Send check to   Jim Cenedella
                                                      28 Jefferson St.
                                                     Milford, MA. 01757
                                                                        Thanks !

Offline Bossssssss

• No Life
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 06:41:46 am »
For anyone in doubt about just how much the current reproduction boot (with the letters M A P molded into the bottom/underside) interferes with the shifter (and hence the transmission), take your car out for a ride and notice the effort it takes to shift the car through all FOUR gears. Remove the boot (or simply unscrew the four boot mounting bolts to allow the boot to 'float'.....then take car back out and notice how much easier it is to shift the car through all FOUR gears. It is a significant difference.

The current boot is nothing but a piece of junk and belongs in the garbage. I am all for having a boot in place, but if it is going to mechanically interfere with the operation of the car and/and cause excessive wear to a major component like the transmission, then off it comes. 

Maybe somebody will make (or does make?) a nice soft RUBBER boot for our cars one day. Until then, the HARD plastic like (fake rubber!) boot (that has the letters M A P on the underside) is not going back on my car.

Bossssssss
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:11:44 am by Bossssssss »

Offline CHIZ_65

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 04:32:33 pm »
Great information. This never occurred to me. I'm installing my motor and transmission in the next few weeks and I'll have to look into this. I do have a repop boot in place.

Is there any way to treat the boot to soften it up?
1965 Fastback 289 A-Code
1970 Grabber Blue BOSS 302
2011 GT Roushcharged

Offline WasatchBoss

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 10:48:20 pm »
The Cougar guys seem to have come with a new vendor who is now making a better shift boot.  They mention it doesn't tear, however I don't know if that translates into the boot not pulling the car out of gear. 

I have not tried one yet, but Don Rush at West Coast Classic Cougar has no problem calling out a poor quality part even if he sells it.

https://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8281&p=84501&hilit=boot#p84501

70 Boss 302
69 Fairlane Cobra
71 Pantera

Offline 167961

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 07:40:18 pm »
Yeah Don is a great guy with a fabulous attitude. His how-to vids rock too.
Martin
June 1970 VIN 0T02G167961, all numbers matching, not yet perfect but therein lies the challenge :-)

Offline Badgas6228

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 09:58:16 pm »
Just ordered a wwc shift boot,my repop i bought from npd a few years back is stiff as a rock compared to my oe worn through boot,One of The  kool things about this Boss forum is all the great imfo,what works what does not,Thanks All.    Greg.      Seattle

Offline Bossssssss

• No Life
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 09:06:23 am »
Just ordered a wwc shift boot,my repop i bought from npd a few years back is stiff as a rock compared to my oe worn through boot,One of The  kool things about this Boss forum is all the great imfo,what works what does not,Thanks All.    Greg.      Seattle

Hey Greg,
I would be very interested in hearing your review of the West Coast Cougars shift boot. I went to WCC's website and saw one review on it saying it was a Daniel Carpenter designed boot. I know the first gen repops are M.A.P. - Midland Automotive Products.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/d0zz-7277-b.html?attribs=80

Bossssssss

Offline Badgas6228

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 09:22:55 am »
Well i hope its not a M A P.  Thats what i got from npd, ill post a report on it when it shows up here ,probebly tues, Greg

Offline YukonBoss

• No Life
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 11:18:35 pm »
Greg did you receive the shifter boot yet?
Randy

Offline Badgas6228

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 07:20:19 am »
UPS,Says today , wednesday,  worst case.ill post imfo when it shows.  Greg

Offline dancobraman45

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 09:18:28 am »
I ordered West Coast Cougar's last boot. Will see how it looks
70 Boss 302
68 GT Fastback
67 Cougar Boss 302 Drag Car