Author Topic: Cost estimate to rebuild a BOSS 302 motor?  (Read 434 times)

Offline bossneeds

• Needs A Job
  • Life's too short, enjoy every minute!
Cost estimate to rebuild a BOSS 302 motor?
« on: October 09, 2019, 07:03:49 pm »
Can someone give me an idea as to the cost of rebuilding a 1970 BOSS 302 motor?

Having the block, heads, oil pan, crank, rods, valve train, and intake/exhaust manifolds, carb, but needing almost everything else including upgraded ignition.

I realize it depends on the condition of everything and the amount of machining needed, but I am looking for an estimated $ amount for a stock build. I also realize that there are upgrades for better performance that will add $. The last motor I had built (in 2013) ran just over $5K for everything, which was in addition to the $6500 for the motor. That included a build up to 400 hp at 6500 rpm with a better distributor. It also included balancing and a run in and dyno runs for optimizing everything.

Is this cost a good estimate for a Boss motor today?

1967 Tiger MK1-A
1970 Shelby GT350
2013 BOSS 302 LS #712 GO
2016 Shelby GT350 Magnetic blk stripes
2017 GT350R-Magnetic w/white stripes
Wife still Happy, recovering.
BOSS 302's are like a fabulous WI cheddar. Both get better with age and you buy them for your enjoyment, not as an investment.

Offline CaBossFan

• Needs A Job
Re: Cost estimate to rebuild a BOSS 302 motor?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 07:49:06 pm »
I don't know anything about this company, but they are located in WI and it appears you can request a quote to rebuild a BOSS 302 engine:

https://www.tristarengines.com/restoration/

Offline polyglas

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:02:31 pm »
The owner of Tri Star is Dave Steine. Dave is a serious Boss collector. He owns the best unrestored 69 Boss 302 I've  ever seen as well as the entire collection of West Coast Ford 1969 Drag team cars. Very good and very busy. Does all my engine work. Also has nice inventory of original Ford Boss parts Nos and used original.

Offline newguy

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 05:55:58 am »
I was just quoted about 7-8K for similar work and that included a dyno run at the end. Not cheap these days!

Offline jrboss

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 08:47:37 am »
That sounds about right 7k with a dyno run,maybe you can get it a little cheaper,but probably not.

I guess it depends on how far you want to go.

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 09:43:54 am »
I have been in the engine business for most of my life, you really can't give a firm quote for a build without seeing what you are starting with. The condition of the parts is all part of what needs to be considered.
John
Have you driven a Ford Lately?

https://youtu.be/C2fY6-Ggfoo

2010 Mustang GT Red Candy Metallic
1970 BOSS 302 Mustang Lime Green Metallic
1969 1/2  BOSS 302 Mustang Calypso Coral
1962 Porsche 356B-T6 Silver-Black interior (It's a Porsche that is what they should be.)

Offline CHIZ_65

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 05:07:02 pm »
I just spent $10K rebuilding my original motor (including labor, dyno testing, etc..). However, my starting point was rough to say the least. Allow me to ramble for a minute...

The original owner "hurt" the block back in 77'. It sat in a corner of a garage until coming home to me in 2017 with the sale of the car. All i had was a rusty block, a pair of service replacement heads, upper intake manifold, water pump, and crank. After a thermal clean, magnaflux, and pressure test, we discovered the block was indeed rebuildable. Good meat on the bones still. But the cylinder walls were real bad...lots of corrosion...Cylinders 1 and 2 needed sleeves (must be where the original owner had his incident). We also discovered the original owner had started to bore it .30 over and make way for a stroker kit. He must have gave up...But we finished the job. Bored it .30 over successfully cleaning the cylinders, added custom sleeves to 1+2, and then we stroked it to 331..The original crank turned out to be unusable, so I figured why not....So, a new crank, new rods, springs, lifters, cam, custom pistons, etc... The list goes on and on and price tag goes up and up. Needed to deck the block, line hone, and a bunch of other odds and ends that come with a build. Dropped off the engine to be built in December of 2017. Put it in the car last week. HA!  ;D

I paid a little more than i could have i guess. Would have been cheaper if the block didn't need so much work before the actual build. But I had it done right by a builder i trust and I'm happy. And now I can say that I rescued the original #s matching block for my car and brought it back to life.  :)

http://opelengineering.com/
1965 Fastback 289 A-Code
1970 Grabber Blue BOSS 302
2011 GT Roushcharged

Offline Bossssssss

• No Life
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 07:32:04 pm »
I have been in the engine business for most of my life, you really can't give a firm quote for a build without seeing what you are starting with. The condition of the parts is all part of what needs to be considered.
John

+1 there is no way to know without this information and what expectations you have for the motor's operating parameters once completed. These factors can and will vary the cost dramatically that it is impossible to estimate a cost.