Author Topic: Evans coolant  (Read 508 times)

Offline gonesurfing

Evans coolant
« on: November 05, 2019, 12:51:15 pm »
I know it has been asked in the past. Checking to see what people think?
My machine shop hates it.

Offline BossRaver

Re: Evans coolant
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 12:59:02 pm »
I have had Evans in my B2 since I assembled the engine. No problems whatsoever. It is a bit pricey though.  Ed Raver

Offline bgp429

• No Life
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 01:01:31 pm »
I know it has been asked in the past. Checking to see what people think?
My machine shop hates it.

I have it in one car, no problems. Did they explain why they hate it?

Offline iBoss302

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 03:07:26 pm »
I also use it and have no issues.  My engine builder was fine with it.
|\_o___ ___ ___o_/|
|___|.........|___|

Offline gonesurfing

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 03:38:54 pm »
They say the car run hot w Evans coolant

Offline TACoupe

• flickr
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 06:16:29 pm »
If you follow this link it will take you to where Evans talks about some engines running slightly hotter at times

https://www.evanscoolant.com/faq/operation/

Roy

Offline 167961

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 09:53:05 pm »
They say the car run hot w Evans coolant
I went through this. I think Evans is fundamentally a good idea. I know J Leno uses it in all his cars. Look it up as a he did a vid where he talks about what water did to the water pump of a 1920's Deusenberg (I think?) and how when years later they pulled the pump again after using Evans in it there was zero corrosion.

The only reason I bailed on using it was that my car ran catastrophically hot with it. And it was clear that was only happening cos I had not managed to purge all the water out before filling with Evans (despite twice filling and flushing the Evans using their proprietary system flush liquid). And to be clear, Evans very clearly point out that if there is water still in your system, Evans coolant just will not behave as intended and your car WILL overheat.

Obviously if you rebuild your motor there will be no water in the cooling system. So that's one way to avoid water contamination. If your motor is fully built and in the car, the only thing to do is to take the car to an authorised Evans installer (non within a 300k radius of me, so not an option) and they will fully purge the water before filling with Evans.

Bottom line - if you can purge all the water from your system, then do Evans. It's a no brainer.
Martin
June 1970 VIN 0T02G167961, all numbers matching, not yet perfect but therein lies the challenge :-)

Offline gonesurfing

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 09:00:37 pm »
Thank you for your inputs
Bruce

Offline GGBAAS

• No Life
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/689921
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 12:08:36 am »
It seems Evans may be just 100% ethylene glycol or 100% propylene glycol. The same as buying just pure antifreeze.   100% EG or PG has a lower specific heat, and higher viscosity than a 50/50 Glycol/(deionized) water mix.  The lower specific heat could explain the overheating some experience with this product.
Dearborn, 1970 April build

Offline libuilder

• No Life
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 05:55:56 am »
It seems Evans may be just 100% ethylene glycol or 100% propylene glycol. The same as buying just pure antifreeze.   100% EG or PG has a lower specific heat, and higher viscosity than a 50/50 Glycol/(deionized) water mix.  The lower specific heat could explain the overheating some experience with this product.

Your correct, the Evans is basically 100% Propylene Glycol with maybe some minor additives.  The specific heat of PG is about .66.  A 50/50 mix of standard Ethylene Glycol is about .86.  The PG is slightly denser, so that helps.  Given the two properties, a given engine and cooling system should run 20 to 30 degrees  higher in temp for the same heat input on Evans.  This is the bulk coolant temp.  The temps at the heads will be higher.

A competitor to Evans is No-Rosion.  They wrote a technical paper comparing the results of instrumented testing of Evans vs No-Rosion as well as a commentary on some of Evans claims.

Here is a link. FYI.

http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:31:31 am by libuilder »

Offline Badgas6228

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 01:02:39 pm »
Looking at the reserch that company  did  and if all things said on evans coolent are accurate,   That could explains why lot of poelpe have had problems with engines running hotter with it installed,to me the bad points made way out weight the good points of using this product.  Greg

Offline bdietz8

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 06:33:33 pm »
Over the summer I tore my engine and saw the intake corroded at the water passages, so much so that it was close to leaking into the intake ports.    Since I had the engine out I also decided to take my radiator to a shop and have them re-core it.  Once they looked at it they said no way, it was too far corroded.  They told me antifreeze over time turns acidic and eats them from the inside out.

That's when I discovered Evans, they say it will not corrode, so I am sold.  Had the previous owner used Evens it might have saved a rare Boss 302 radiator and intake manifold.  (The radiator was trashed but the intake just had pot marks from where it was eaten away, probably should have been welded up and grind down, but a large glob of permatex seamed to work).

Long story short, I am now using Evans.  The car runs right at the 180 thermostat.   

Offline GGBAAS

• No Life
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/689921
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 07:35:56 pm »
There appears to be nothing special about Evans.  You can buy Prestone concentrate (100% EG) for about $14/gallon.  Evans is about twice the price for what appears to be the same coolant.
Dearborn, 1970 April build

Offline RmK57

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 10:52:28 pm »
There appears to be nothing special about Evans.  You can buy Prestone concentrate (100% EG) for about $14/gallon.  Evans is about twice the price for what appears to be the same coolant.

I agree. Iv'e been using the same Prestone concentrate for 45+ years in my Boss 429 and my block, heads, radiator are still like new. Maybe it's the water in the northwest?

Offline libuilder

• No Life
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 07:06:51 am »
Ethylene Glycol antifreeze has rust inhibitors mixed in from the factory.  These get depleted with time so if you leave the coolant in for a while, acids can be created which cause problems.

A very simple way to avoid this is to add a small bottle of Prestone or Motor Medic Anti Rust concentrate every once in a while.  The freeze protection of EG does not change with time unless you dilute the mixture by adding pure water for topping up.  Adding the anti-rust keeps the corrosion under control. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:31:37 am by libuilder »