Author Topic: Edelbrock carb  (Read 140 times)

Offline MichaelSedlak

• No Life
Edelbrock carb
« on: November 08, 2019, 07:39:21 am »
So when my ex wife had her engine redone in her 67 Dart GT they put a Edelbrock carb on it.  The car has real problems with idle in and out of gear.  I have never worked on one and she has asked me to look into getting it "set up" by someone who knows those carbs.  My first thought was ditch it and go with a Holley but she really want to keep it.  It was brand new and her first on her own restoration.  Turned out very nice, by the way. 

Idles high when out of gear but stalls if you lower the idle and then put in gear. Drives ok but the whole idle thing has me baffled.  No vacuum leaks, stock cam, no power brakes.  Any guidance would be a great help.

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • ^My Old Heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!
Re: Edelbrock carb
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 08:13:26 am »
The Edelbrock carb is made by Weber, who 'copied' it from Carter. Its an excellent carb in my opinion. That said, do all the basic checks accel pump position, throttle bind, vacuum leaks, gas leaks (internal also), just a good once over to see IF anything is amiss. Also make sure your engine vacuum lines are correct on the carb. Distributor vacuum advance port should be ABOVE the throttle plates. PCV is also properly hooked up. Also, just for a reference/starting point, try 2 turns out on the air/fuel adjustments that are on the front of the carb. That should put you in the 'ballpark'. Good luck!
Current lifelong project:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:21:33 am »
Michael,
These carburetors like ALL carburetors are extremely sensitive to fuel bowl level. It actually has an effect on the proper mixture.
John
Have you driven a Ford Lately?

https://youtu.be/C2fY6-Ggfoo

2010 Mustang GT Red Candy Metallic
1970 BOSS 302 Mustang Lime Green Metallic
1969 1/2  BOSS 302 Mustang Calypso Coral
1962 Porsche 356B-T6 Silver-Black interior (It's a Porsche that is what they should be.)

Offline Oldstang

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:40:42 am »
My neighbor usually buys those brand new and has no issues until after about a year. They seem to be sensitive to debris getting into the bowls and circuits. Don’t know why he gets garbage in them he runs fuel filters and air filters and always puts new fuel line on when he builds cars but still always gets crap in carb. I take the top plate off and remove the squirters and clean with carb cleaner reassemble and he’s good for another year.

Offline MichaelSedlak

• No Life
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 01:59:11 pm »
Thank you all for the tips.  I'll look into those for sure.  It was a brand new unit and probably has less than 1500 miles on it.  There was a hot start issue but I found the fuel lines were tied to the engine and one metal line was tied to the thermostat housing. Ugh.  I have run some Aeroquip insulation and that has gone away but the whole idle thing will take some more work. How much influence are the metering rods on the idle circuits?

Offline crossboss

• PT Group
  • Needs A Job
  • ^My Old Heap Boss 302…aka S-B Racing!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 02:10:56 pm »
Metering rods on Carter and Quadrajet carbs are equivalent to the fuel jets on a Holley and Autolite/Motorcraft. Id suggest you go to the Edelbrock website and look up the carb model number, and check out the spec sheet/tuning tips for your carb.
Current lifelong project:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 6 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase headed, intake mounted with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style…Whew!

Offline libuilder

• No Life
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 06:55:51 am »
A quick check of the internet shows reports of similar problems of excessively high idle and stalling when trying to lower it by adjustments.  Most people report problem solved by returning the carb to Edelbrock for replacement under warranty. 

Check with Edelbrock directly to get their recommendations for troubleshooting.  They also have some videos on their website on the issue.