Author Topic: Need help with Right Hand Drive Boss 302  (Read 428 times)

Offline Havago

Need help with Right Hand Drive Boss 302
« on: November 15, 2019, 09:10:08 am »
Appreciate all assistance if available.
Okay Boss 302 with right hand drive power steering conversion.
Am wanting to fit Extractors and 3 inch system.
Is there anyone one out here who has or can point me towards the right direction please.
Regards
HAVAGO
I am what you would call a steel car fanatic

1972 GT V6 FORD CAPRI TRACK RED
1970 BOSS 302 Mustang GRABBER ORANGE
1969 R-CODE 428 COBRA JET

Offline skip70

Re: Need help with Right Hand Drive Boss 302
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 01:54:00 pm »
It would probably help you more if you added a little more detail about which aspect of the challenge you are working on first?

Offline haveblue

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 08:15:08 pm »
Hi Havago,

Welcome, fellow Aussie here, QLDer also  :)... having just been through the compliance for my B2 which was a complete rebuild here's my 2 cents. If you haven't converted to RH drive yet, I wouldn't unless you've really got your heart set on it. Here's why I think that:

1. With the import rules the way the are in Australia (and about to change again) it's getting harder to find these cars in general in Australia, and especially in good condition.

2. You potentially lessen the resale value of the car.

3. Compliance/Modification plates are a pain in the a** to get to start with, without adding fuel to the fire by swapping left to right

4. I'm not entirely sure if you can get a RH drive firewall for a 69/70 Mustang. You might be able to...if  not obviously it's going to have to be custom.

Having said that, I totally get why you would want to swap it. It's your $$$$ /time and effort, so if you are going to do it you'll have to research a lot before you start swapping it, especially re compliance (and this goes for anything else you want like brakes or even if you have to have yellow rear lights on tail for indicators). There's an awful lot of misleading/conflicting information out there re this in QLD. One person told me I needed to tell the transport department what camshaft I'd installed (BS!!!  ::)).. (they wouldn't even know what the cam numbers meant!  ???)

Don't know anything about power steering install, looked at it briefly but decided against because we didn't want to collapse the steering column.

Cheers
HB.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 08:52:16 am by haveblue »

Offline BOSSNCOBRA

• No Life
    • https://imageshack.com/i/f01ThBR9jhttp://http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/bossncobra/media/Canadathefullmoonandmyherd032_zpse351ac7f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=11s1166.photobucket.com/user/bossncobra/slideshow/
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 06:14:31 am »
I agree with haveblue, it would be crazy to chop up a boss to make it RHD. Buy a dynacorn body and build a clone. It will cost a fortune to have a good job done converting, and the car would be a joke when it came time to sell.  Only a few people know when they are looking at a real boss anyhow. Strip down the boss, use the parts for the clone, when you're ready, switch everything back over to the boss, you will have a nice boss to sell, and you can get your money out of it.
Head Technical Inspector and Pacecar Driver.
  Lake Erie Speedway
 Nascar Weekly series.{IMG

Offline 167961

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 01:50:36 am »
I agree with what has been said above. Convert it to RHD and you will not only kill the value here in Oz but you will also completely remove its marketability OS.

Now that said, if the car is already RHD I would have thought conversations with the reputable Falcon GT resto shops here should turn up some knowledge and help re extractors. Another thing you could try is talking to Lamros at Hi Tech Mufflers in Darlinghurst, Sydney. I used to own a W210 Merc E430 and nobody makes RHD extractors for the V8. Lambros made a custom set for me in 4 days 7 years ago for $2k...
Martin
June 1970 VIN 0T02G167961, all numbers matching, not yet perfect but therein lies the challenge :-)

Offline Rocketscientist

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 05:37:11 pm »
It's funny how things have changed, for there was a time in Australia where the only Mustangs allowed to be licenced had to be RHD apart from club cars. It was actually written in the National Mustang Judging rules that a car had to be RHD and you lost big points for a car being LHD, which was absurd because a LHD car contined more genuine parts.

I suggest you look at local 69 &70's cars as more of them would be RHD and are likely to carry modified exhause systems. A good place to look is the 69-70 Mustang forum which shows a number of Aussie cars and a number of cars in non-stock  condition.

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/forum/41-1969-70-technical-forum/

Years ago a mate installed a paxton supercharged B302 motor in a RHD 65 fastback with power steering and custom built the extractors to miss everything. He had them ceramic coated to cut down the heat generated and the whole arrangement looked quite neat. Like everything it took time, creativity and a bit of coin.

Offline Boss tales

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 03:54:30 am »
Hi GREG HOW ARE YOU GIVE JACK BEEDHAM EXHAUST IN QLD ALSO ( BRIS VEGAS )A CALL YOU WILL FIND BOBBIE / JACK VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE AND EXTREMELY HELPFUL . PM ME IF YOU NEED HIS NUMBER, ARE YOU MISSING PTQ 005 I WAS TOO SLOW AND A DAY LATE . APPREICATE YOUR HONESTLY AND THE OPPORTUNITY AT THE TIME . IF I CAN HELP IN ANYWAY FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME . I CAN PUT YOU IN TOUCH WITH A GUY UP YOUR WAY WHO HAS A GRABBER BLUE 70 BOSS 302 WHO HAS ALSO A RHS CONVERION WITH EXTRACTORS BUT ONY 2 1/2  SET  FITTED FROM MEMORY HIS IS A FEW WEEKS AWAY FROM COMPLETION / 6 YR RESTORATION  REGARDS    TONY
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:27:43 am by Boss tales »
1970 Boss 302 Bright Yellow  Metuchen built                                              1970 Boss 302 Medium Blue Metallic  Metuchen built