Author Topic: Original '68 Bullitt Mustang at Mecum Kissimmie  (Read 580 times)

Offline 1NiceBoss

• One Off the Bucket List
Re: Original '68 Bullitt Mustang at Mecum Kissimmie
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 05:19:44 am »
I'm not so sure restoring would be a good idea. If it would have gone thru the auction fully restored and all shiny and new do you think it would still have fetched $3.4M?

At the end of the movie you could clearly see the car was all beat up. Plus, I believe there were 2 of them built for the movie. How would one determine between what condition it was in when the movie was finished and what may have happened after it was sold. I don't think things were documented in detail back then for a $3500 car sold to a cop and then sold to the last owner's father who put it in his barn in 1974 for the next 45 years.

Hopefully the car does not end up in Saudi Arabia or Dubai where all the oil money is...That would be a travesty

Marty
Live everyday like it may be your last...You just don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Offline ablue69

• Needs A Job
'64 1/2 Convertible (SOLD)
'64 1/2 hardtop
'66 Bronco, 5.0 fuel injected, restomod
'67 Mustang Junior!
'68 Bronco Half Cab
'69 BOSS 302  9F02G196425 (SOLD)
'74 Bronco 302 auto
'89 Saleen (bought new, never modified!)
'96 Bronco XLT
'08 F350 Lariat Crew Cab dually
'16 T350 Transit Cargo Van dually

Norm

Offline Clifford

• No Life
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 11:39:34 am »
I'm not so sure restoring would be a good idea. If it would have gone thru the auction fully restored and all shiny and new do you think it would still have fetched $3.4M?

This movie car was marketed very well over the past year. There were only two Mustangs used in the Bullitt movie. The other one was crushed. The chase scene in the movie Bullitt was one of the best ones ever done. It was done on real streets years before computer graphics was ever even thought of. The chase scene from Bullitt is used to judge every other movie chase scene filmed since. The movie starred Steve McQueen and his Mustang. The movie, the star, Steve McQueen, and the Bullitt Mustang are icons.

I saw this Bullitt Mustang in Detriot in 2019 North American International Auto Show. It was in the Ford display to help promote the new Bullitt Mustang. Honestly it was sad to see what condition it currently is in. Yes in my opinion, if restored, this iconic Mustang would have fetched just as much as it did in its current condition.
The Big Red Dog

Offline ablue69

• Needs A Job
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 08:18:23 pm »
I believe the "other one" wasn't crushed, but was located in Mexico in very bad condition. 
'64 1/2 Convertible (SOLD)
'64 1/2 hardtop
'66 Bronco, 5.0 fuel injected, restomod
'67 Mustang Junior!
'68 Bronco Half Cab
'69 BOSS 302  9F02G196425 (SOLD)
'74 Bronco 302 auto
'89 Saleen (bought new, never modified!)
'96 Bronco XLT
'08 F350 Lariat Crew Cab dually
'16 T350 Transit Cargo Van dually

Norm

Offline d1boss

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 03:16:45 pm »
I read that article too.
It will return.
It seems they are able rebuild anything starting from a skid mark on the road...providing DNA matches of course!