Author Topic: Offy 360 tunnel port  (Read 352 times)

Offline OldMil

Offy 360 tunnel port
« on: January 11, 2020, 08:35:26 pm »
I obtained a NOS dual quad 360 and am curious as to what carbs were typical for these.  I may mock one up.

Offline 1109RWHP

• No Life
Re: Offy 360 tunnel port
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 11:37:50 pm »
For a Boss 302? Can you post some pictures of it?

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 04:26:13 pm »
Holley List #1850 600 vacuum carburetors were the carb of choice for that intake.
John
1st universal rule of value,
"Parts are parts, cash is only money and doesn't have the same value. You get that right?"

2nd universal rule of value, "an object is only worth the higher of two values placed upon it by either the current entity in possession of the item, or the value placed on it by an entity wanting to take over possession of the item."

Offline OldMil

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 09:44:35 am »
Thanks John!  As for pictures, I don't have any with me, but it's like this one:
https://picclick.com/NEW-Boss-302-Offenhauser-Dual-Quad-Tunnel-Ram-123412819436.html

Offline pbf777

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 09:58:36 am »
     The "correct"     ::)   carburetor would be a pair of Holley 0-4224, 660 C.F.M., "Center- Squirters"

Scott.

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:43:49 pm »
     The "correct"     ::)   carburetor would be a pair of Holley 0-4224, 660 C.F.M., "Center- Squirters"

Scott.

Scott,
You are correct for a serious engine, my observation over the years has been most people go with the 1850 because it is "easier".......Easy is rarely best.
John
"Parts are parts, cash is only money and doesn't have the same value. You get that right?"

2nd universal rule of value, "an object is only worth the higher of two values placed upon it by either the current entity in possession of the item, or the value placed on it by an entity wanting to take over possession of the item."

Offline pbf777

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 10:18:28 am »
     Yep, I've probably never been know to do anything the easy way (you know, the square peg will fit in the round hole, if you just try hard enough!     ::)  ); so one of the first things I did back in the '70's when I took possession of my BOSS 302 was to trade the original 4V intake and carburetor for Weiand tunnel ram and a pair of 660's; you know............"the-right-stuff"!        8)

Scott.

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 01:55:48 pm »
     Yep, I've probably never been know to do anything the easy way (you know, the square peg will fit in the round hole, if you just try hard enough!     ::)  ); so one of the first things I did back in the '70's when I took possession of my BOSS 302 was to trade the original 4V intake and carburetor for Weiand tunnel ram and a pair of 660's; you know............"the-right-stuff"!        8)

Scott.

I have a pair of the "smaller" 425 - 450 CFM center squirter for my dual quad intake.
John

Offline pbf777

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 06:17:18 pm »
     No-No!  Wrong way!        :o

Later, I went out and found (and still have) a set of the 850 center-squirters!  Cuz you know: MORE-IS-BETTER! ................RIGHT!       8)

Well...............maybe?         ::) 

Scott.

Offline TACoupe

• flickr
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 06:36:28 pm »
Here's a great article about 2x4 carburetion setups. The article talks about a 490 cubic inch FE motor where they tried a single 4 and two fours using 600 and 465 holley's. The 465's beat the 600's and only pretty much equaled the single 4 setup. There's also a couple of really nice pictures of a dual Dominator motor in a car with a good view of the linkage.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/5-tips-dual-quad-carburetion-success/

Roy

Offline JohnSlack

• Needs A Job
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 07:03:39 pm »
     No-No!  Wrong way!        :o

Later, I went out and found (and still have) a set of the 850 center-squirters!  Cuz you know: MORE-IS-BETTER! ................RIGHT!       8)

Well...............maybe?         ::) 

Scott.

Scott,
Well, I have another intake for the same engine that covers the bigger is better theory as well. Cuz...you know they are bigger so that's good, right?
John

Offline pbf777

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 10:07:30 am »

RI-I-I-I-IGHT!!!!    ;D

But for the nonbelievers, remember, "the shoe may not always fit"!     

As an example: We have reworked a number of Edelbrock Vic-Jr.s intakes to Dominator configuration via welding, machining and porting (it looks as though it were cast as such when completed), for even only 302 cubic inch capacity engines in cars providing say mid ten second quarter mile performances, in what would perhaps appearing to be excess intentions with a 1050 C.F.M. unit, but in each instance the performance benefited.     ;)

Now, don't everybody run out and purchase 1050's & conversion adapters (as these really suffer), because remember,..............."the shoe may not always fit"!      ::)

Speaking of shoes, remember when you would buy a pair of "real" shoes (well, for me "dress-up" means a pair of boots), and even though you had the correct size, perhaps some fitting is still required (as most peoples' right & left feet are not the same), the same with the engines' induction system, some "fitting" (tuning) maybe required for best performance, and not every shoe is appropriate for all occasions.      ???

Scott.