Author Topic: XE Crankshaft  (Read 982 times)

Offline Justin Jones

• Cool Newbie
XE Crankshaft
« on: February 10, 2020, 09:41:57 pm »
Hello, I was pointed in this direction to maybe get some help on a crank I have. It's an XE part and appears to be forged with a 3.00 stroke. XE 124499. Thanks for any information.

Offline Justin Jones

• Cool Newbie
Re: XE Crankshaft
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 10:40:17 am »
I'm really surprised I haven't gotten any responses. I think there's more information out there on XE heads but not crankshafts. The remaining bits of information I have is supposedly this crank has Holman and Moody roots from their race team. And the snout is really large for a "427 harmonic balancer". I guess back then the only zero balance balancer was the 427 race engine.

Hoping someone has some information.

Thanks!

Offline svo2scj

• No Life
  • Yeah it's the wrong paint and cap!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 11:27:42 am »
Would have presented to Dennis at the retired Ford engineers lunch BUT it has been cancelled (and ONLY Dennis showed up this month) !!   

Will send an Email to see if he saw this !

Mark
Mark Haas
517 861 7630

Offline Justin Jones

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 12:47:16 pm »
Awesome! Thanks!

Offline svo2scj

• No Life
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 04:54:26 pm »
HI
EMailed DENNIS HE wrote

Not all XE parts were race parts
Large snout indicates FT crank, common practice was
to cut down (from truck size) reslot the key way 180 degress
This is a cheap way to get a steel crank.
likely not cross drilled or groved bearing journals (like on a 427 steel)

MARK
p.S. does it show mallory work or drilling?
Mark Haas
517 861 7630

Offline Justin Jones

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 08:10:06 pm »
The snout is 1.375 diameter. It does have bearing grooves on the first, middle and last main journals. All of the rod journals are cross drilled and it does have mallory in it. There's a $A on one of the counterweights.

Offline svo2scj

• No Life
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 07:48:01 am »
That doesn't sound like a machined FT.   Had I had that info, maybe Dennis would have looked up in his records.  The HM through us off.   Doubt Ralph used XE sequence numbers if "working a crank" AND you didn't mention if stamped or cast.   I'll forward again, maybe he does have info on the number.

Mark
Mark Haas
517 861 7630

Offline Justin Jones

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 09:31:49 am »
The XE part number is cast in as well as the $A number. The journal throws are also drilled from the side down to make sort of a V shape. I don't know if that was to lighten up the rod journal itself?

Offline tbolt2

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 11:40:32 am »
Experimental part numbers are issued chronologically.  Based on known XE numbers, XE-124... would be somewhere late 1964, or early 1965.  1.375" is the diameter for an FE crank.  Could you post a few pictures of it?  The counterweights were different on the very early 427 cranks, however they were not cross drilled.  Are you certain it is a crank for an FE?  Also, 3" stroke is very short for an FE.  3.30" for 332, 3.50" for 352, 3.78"for 390/406/427, and 3.98" for 428.  What are the pin (rod) and main journal diameters?  Mallory could of happened at a later date.  Are there any machine shop ID or balancing weight numbers stamped on it?   

Regards,
Dennis

Offline Justin Jones

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 01:48:18 pm »
Hi Dennis, supposedly the story I got from the gentleman I purchased it from was it was a 302 crankshaft for a Boss racing motor that Holman and Moody had. There were no zero balanced 302's then so they used a 427 balancer as that was the only zero balanced harmonic balancer available.

There is a M32D stamped in to the face of the first counterweight and 3556 on throw side. I'm not sure what those mean. There is a Ford symbol cast into the area between the first weight and journal. The center counterweight has a heavy stamped H48 in it.

Mains look to be 2.239" roughly and journals 2.113" roughly.

Offline tbolt2

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 01:19:09 pm »
The main and pin diameters sound like a 10/10 under for a small block Ford.  In the mid 60's, I recall Ford was investigating a 327 ci engine.  Perhaps it was something left over from that program and someone tried to re purpose it.

Regards,
Dennis

Offline Justin Jones

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 05:58:20 pm »
Thanks Dennis. A 327, hmm. Where would that have come from with a 3.00 in stroke? I'll try to get some pictures of it later tonight and post up.

Offline Gus-SK-Boss

• PT Group
  • No Life
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 09:30:32 am »
 if it came from Holman & Moody Anything is Possible. I have a list of Ford part numbers that have XE numbers and I have a couple of pictures of XE crankshafts. Don't forget that Ford made a special XE block and crankshaft which used the same size main bearings as a Chrysler. I think it was 2.50 inch main was the size. let me see what I can find give me a day or so.
Gus

Offline gt350hr

• Needs A Job
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 12:05:47 pm »
     Justin,
      The raw forging XE 124499 was developed for the DOHC Indy engine. It was used in various configurations for several engines. Without a picture of the "snout and front counterweight , "My" experience is that you have a crank made for AAR ( Gurney) for use with the Gurney-Weslake heads at Indianapolis. For those not familiar with that engine it used an extended snout and "Indy" style dampner. They also featured a wider than normal front counterweight and extra center counterweight to enable internal balancing with super heavy "Indy" rods. Your crankshaft "could" also be "cross drilled" and have plugs in the ends of each throw. Grooved mains were popular at the time until grooved main bearings became available in '66 for the LeMans 289's. The three inch stroke is a clue to the '67 Indy effort. They were used until '69 by AAR. This forging was also used for GT40s that ran at LeMans but did NOT have the odd post length. Ford blueprints often note parts as OSA ( originally shown as)   XXXXXXX part but use XE124499 forging. I have a GT40 configuration crank myself that is the same forging # you have.  A revised version of the XE124499 was made in '67 with the C7FE forging number. Both cranks were made by Kellog Crankshaft in MI.
    This  XE forging had nothing to do with Holman Moody , nor did they use it in the configuration you have. It is NOT a Trans Am  crank either.
    Randy
'66 GT350H (6S477)1of 18 white w/blue side stripes - drag raced mostly w / Boss 302 power for 35+ years
68.5 Cobra Jet fb  white w/blue c stripe 4spd
sorry never owned a Boss car just engines
cover Car Craft July '77 with my Boss powered GT350
cover/article Mustang Illustrated Fall 1987 w/all aluminum SK 351 Cleveland powered Mustang II
cover /article Modified Mustangs Feb 2011
cover Mustang Monthly  June 2014

Offline Justin Jones

• Cool Newbie
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 08:41:32 pm »
Thanks for the extra info guys! I got some pictures of the pertinent areas I think. If anybody has any other things they have questions about let me know, I'll get a picture. Thanks!

Edit: I'm not able to post pictures I guess. Or I need approval or something.